ESPN2 ladies/men SP | Golden Skate

ESPN2 ladies/men SP

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Well, I really liked what I saw, for the most part.

This was the 1st time I saw Katy Taylor and I was very impressed. Great program, and very nice costume, hair, makeup..

I loved Sasha's program! I think folks in Moscow will love her even more! The spin at the end was somewhat disturbing though..looked like she was one-legged or something.. maybe it's just me! Very innovative though!

I suspect people will not agree with me, but Michelle's program was just ok. She had the cleanest skate, but I did not see the fire and passion that Sasha had.Typical Kwan performance. It seems that the only things are different year after year is the costume and music (I have to say that last year LP was outstanding, lots of passion!).

Men:

It was the 1st time I got to see Jonny's SP and I really enjoyed it. It's a shame he hada few wobbles here and there.

I did not think that Weiss was such a disaster as some sources have been suggesting. Considering the nasty spill he took early on, he had a decent skate. Nice spins.

Matt Savoie was fantastic..He and Jonny and Abt are the best classical music skaters.

On that note, Tim should find something with more flair, I think. He keeps skating to classical music (and even though it was a great skate) but it seems to me he should branch out to something maybe more contempo.

I was wondering throughout the comp - with so many talented singles skaters, and only so many spots on the podium, why wouldn't some of these singles turn to pairs? When you see someone like Amber hitting 3x3, placing 7-8 in the singles, and then top 3 pairs can't sometimes manage a clean triple...

Ok it's1 am on the east coast..

Yana

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Yana, I agree with almost everything you wrote. I thought it was a great night of skating. The ones I thought that stood out were:

Tim: I loved him starting off with the footwork. :love: I don't think I've ever seen a competitive program that did that. I think it worked well for him.

Savoie: Loved it! Bravo! :rock:

Weiss: I wish he could've landed his quad. Oh well. It's not like that's unusual.

Kimmie: Good for her! I liked the program.

Jenny: Great skate! I hope she kicks butt in the LP.

Katy: I'd never seen her skate. Nice program too.

I really wish they could've cut some of the commercials. I don't remember as many the night before. They could've shown several more skaters if they'd cut the number of commercials. I was really looking forward to seeing more of the newer skaters. I'd rather see fluff than commercials! I know, I know, somebody has to pay for it.

Another thing I noticed was that Dick, Peggy, etc didn't talk nonstop. Of course there's always tonight. :sheesh:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Too many ads, indeed

Couldn't agree more: when I found out it would be shown on ESPN, I was hoping we would see more then usual for the guys and gals, and in the past, ABC would show a lot!

We only got to see the top 5 amongst the guys, all the usual suspects! I rememeber almost the entire top 10 would be shown in the past!!! I was really ticked off! I wanted to see Jahnke, Smith, the likes of Rahin Ward and Ryan Bradley (both of them were out. I know Rahen didn't qualify, but why Bradley was not there?).

Ladies coverage was much better, but it's not a shocker.

Yana

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Ryan broke his arm and couldn't compete at regionals or sectionals and he just missed having a bye to Nats. He was sixth last year and only the top five get byes and there are no more injury byes. I was looking forward to seeing him too.