Mother Nature Strikes! | Golden Skate

Mother Nature Strikes!

eliza88

On the Ice
:cry: :cry:

There is freezing rain here in Portland (I mean there is freezing *^@&^!! rain!). I don't think I can get to the rink for the Men's LP (starts at 11am) because the roads are all ice! To say I am sad would be an understatement...I think it's too slick for me to try to walk the 20 miles--my family would prevent me trying anyway...If the arena for the Men's LP looks poorly attended, blame it on the weather. It is "supposed" to warm up around 1pm, so I am hanging on to a glimmer of hope that I can attend the Ladies LP which starts at 4pm.

Argh!!

eliza88

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
How awful eliza.......it's better to be safe than sorry, though. Is public transportation running? Maybe it'll clear up. You gotta love the great Northwest! 42

eliza88

On the Ice
I think my father-in-law is going to try to get us to a transit station. They live too far from the MAX line (light rail) which is running fine. Perhaps we can somehow get a bus that will take us to the MAX, or into Downtown Portland,...oh please oh please something! We may get nowhere, but I'd feel better trying. I should know within 5 minutes out of the driveway if its a hopeless case or not. Fingers ARE crossed!

eliza88

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
NOOOO! I'm so sorry. We're a couple blocks from Max. watching tv, some buses are stuck, but most are running. Tri-Met spokeswoman said running 20-25 min behind. The whole MAX line is functional tho. Get yourself to the MAX! Course, you may not be able to make it back home!! Yikes!

Good luck, and I'm hoping I see you there.

PS- having breakfast downstairs today, we watched plenty of people sliding on the sidewalks, and several cars slid, but most doing okay.

TV reporting a MAX accident... no details, missed the location. Bridges are closing...

Last edited:

Panther2000

On the Ice
Better save than sorry. On this Historic Day đź‘Ť For Michelle(keeping fingers crossed). Hopefully, the wheather will clamdown in the next few hours. But, don't take any unnecessary chances. Good Luck :rock:

LONG LIVE THE KWEEN

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Eliza.........did you make it to the skating events yesterday? 42

eliza88

On the Ice
I did make it to the events! We were able to get to the MAX and we only missed the 1st skater in the Men's event! I couldn't believe it! What a stressful yet extremely thrilling day! We couldn't make it home that night so we found a hotel on the MAX line--this also meant that we didn't have a problem with going to the exhibitions,...Phew! What an experience!

eliza88

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am so glad for you, eliza.........what were the exhibitions like? Who skated to what. When you catch your breath, details please.........thanks..... :) 42

Sylvia

Record Breaker
eliza88 said:
I did make it to the events! We were able to get to the MAX and we only missed the 1st skater in the Men's event!

Awww, that's means you missed one of the highlight men's performances of the event, IMHO -- Mauro Bruni skated a 6-triple FS to "The Mission" with artistic sensitivity to the music. Glad to hear you were able to make it there on Saturday after all -- it was pretty treacherous for those of us slip-sliding around on the sidewalks to and from the Rose Garden!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Yep - it was an adventure. We walked from Holiday Inn in the middle of the street most of the way. My first time in freezing rain. I'll take snow, thank you.

PAskate

On the Ice
We had an adventure walking from the Courtyard. My friend and I actually "borrowed" cups of sand from the ashtrays outside the hotel doors and used them to get traction on our walk down the hill. You should have seem the look on the poor security guy's face at the arena when I told him that I was not going to toss out my one remaining cup of sand :rofl: - I might need it for the walk back up the hill at the end of the night.