Men's Long Program | Golden Skate

Men's Long Program

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if it still starts at 11:00? Has there been a delay? Nothing's up at the USFS site yet......42

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Eliza posted earlier about the horrible freezing rain that hit Portland - so bad that she planned on staying home..maybe competitors couldn't get to the arena..just a thought. However, the USFS has been notoriously slow lately..

Yana

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Placements are starting to come in now, slowly. Weird, they're not posting scores only placements...................42

TNT2012

Rinkside
The Men's LP was a good event, but lack the excitement of the short program.

Michael Weiss - That was one of the slowest, most tentative program I have ever seen him skate. He already look "defeated" even at the start of his program. It's too bad he won't be going to the World Chamionships for the first time in how many years?

Timothy Goebbel - His LP lacked the emotional impact that he had generated with his SP, and he also appeared a little tentative. We all know that he could skate so much better. Although an okay skate by his standards, he deserves 2nd place.

Matt Savoie - Has some really wonderful moves, but a little flat in his performance overall. Excuse me for the comparison, but he is rather like the Angela Nikodinov on the women's side - have huge potential but never seems to quite get past the bronze and pewter medal position at nationals.

Johnny Weir - There's no doubt that he's the best male U.S. skater right now. His skating is lyrical, soft yet powerful. It was a wonderful performance and a well-deserved 1st place, but not worthy of the 5 6.0s. But then again, it is the last time the 6.0 will be used in competition at nationals, so that was not unexpected. He's probably one othe top three male skaters in the world right now COP-wise, but he does need a quad or quad/combo if he wants to stand on the top podium at the Worlds Championship.

Evan Lysaceck - What a great guy. Of all the skaters in the last group, he was the only one who seems to be having a lot of fun on the ice. His smiles are rather infectious. It was great to see how excited he was when he saw his scores in the K & C. I know he will be loving every moment at the Worlds Championshp in March.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Mens LP

Just saw Matt's skate: I have new respect for Matt since his SP and this LP. Some really wonderful, sophisticated skating! And the man is in school getting his Master's in Urban Planning. Hello!! I agree with Dick: his tech marks were I felt unfair. Yes, he did doble I think 2 jumps, but 5.1? And whaddup with the 5.1 for Presentation. Because he didn't smile? I don't get it! :mad: I say bring on the COP!

Anyone else feel his SP was the best we've seen him? That was a program to treasure - reminds me of Buttle's LP a bit. Non-linear, non-literal, ephemeral..... really nice! And the back slide to what should have been a 3f, verrrry nice. The back stroke into the 3A was world-class.

Now about the LP music.... empty percussion mish mash with not much of an emotion through-line. I would think that would be difficult to skate to. I don't need a 'story' per se to enjoy a program, but this LP didn't have the carry

BTW - I am using my new toy from my cable company: a Digital Video Recorder set top (DVR). Man is this fun: I can run everything is slow mo and skip recordings....... what more could a technosexual ask for?

Onto the others. Note to Shaun: skating to The Matrix - why not skate to Shrek 2?.... Is anyone else out there tired of the men skating to movie soundtracks?

sorry to be catty, but good to see Matt ahead of Michael. There, I said it and I don't feel bad - Weiss gives tattoo-illusion skateware a bad bad name. :laugh:

Tenorguy

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi Tenorguy.... :)

Johnny's performance had me on my feet. What a masterful performance, so reminiscent of Curry or Robin Cousins... truly deserving of his second National Title. I felt that Evan should have placed ahead of Tim. Again, that long-legged, Robin Cousins sort of demeanor is a natural on ice...... 42

Last edited:

GlitterTwist

Rinkside
I absolutely loved Johnny's program! I was sorta nervous for him, since this was live lol But I'm really glad he won!! I don't think it was 6.0 material but hey, I'm not a judge. Evan was great and I love his program, he had so much fun out there! I'm so glad he did well, and I hope he skates awesome at worlds! Timmy wasn't spectacular, but he was alright. He deserved second since he DID have a quad.

kyla2

Final Flight
Men

Johnny Weir was wonderful, as usual. He is a joy to watch and he does remind you of Curry. Tim wasn't bad, but certainly not his best. His presentation has improved. Evan was delightful, but fell off towards the end, which I think cost him the silver. Matt Savoie is consistently underscored. His SP was brilliant.

Hikaru

Final Flight
O man, I can't wait to see this event!! way to go Johnny, I'm so proud of my boy!! After reading all these comments, I am definitely taping this. Say, when they broadcasted the events, how was it : pairs and ladies? pairs and men? men and ladies? ice dance and ladies? any other combo?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hikaru..........This afternoon it was Dance finals and Men's Long. Tonight it will be Pairs final and Ladie's Long..............42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For Tim to even come out and pull off a decent skate said something about him. He's been emotionally spent since the SPs... he gave his SP his all and he's been so focused on Angela when he's off the ice that he just seemed so tired when he took the ice for warm up... I'm ready to see him rock out at Worlds! :rock:

Mike had a serious fall in teh warm up and he was the first one to skate in his group. I'm not making excuses, but if he looked tentative and slow it's because of that fall... he literally did not get up for half a minute... I was freaking out... :cry: