Dick comment during Johnny's skate.... | Golden Skate

Dick comment during Johnny's skate....

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I often find myself saying "HUH????" after some of Dick's comments, i.e. the "scrammbled egg" analogy last night describing Sasha's season.

He made a WAY off the wall remark tonight (off the wall to most of the world anyway, I'm assuming) comparing Johnny to a Greyhound.

I'm betting the cross section of the population that are both skating fans AND Greyhound owners is small. And of those Greyhound owners, the % of them that have a large fenced in yard where their Greyhounds can run full out is even smaller.

As a Greyound owner with a very large fenced in yard, I think, for once, I know exactly what Dick was talking about. When you watch a Greyhound run totally free across a large area, it's truly a wonder. You just say to yourself..."THAT is what God built them for - to run fast and sure footed and be happy doing it."

Of course I have no idea if that's what Dick really meant, but watching Johnny skate tonight, I got those chills and said to myself ..."THAT is what God built this guy to do." I haven't gotten those chills every time I've watched him. But his LP last year was the first time, and this time was definitely another. His skate wasn't 100% perfect tonight - a couple minor bobbles...burt MAN he sure drew me in.

I'm also glad to see Tim's improvements in presentation - I wish Tim had skated his LP like his SP. I thought Even deserved his SP placement. While I like him, I sort of thought Matt Savoie did better in the LP and maybe should have been third. Anyone else??

DG

nicole_l

Final Flight
While I like him, I sort of thought Matt Savoie did better in the LP and maybe should have been third.
I agree. Evan's program was cleaner, but Matt's program was more exciting and had better transistions, he'd do very well under COP.

Kasey

Medalist
I am not a Matt fan, but I agree. I think both of his programs were undermarked, and he was much smoother and had more emotional depth in his programs, and of course, maturity. I wonder a bit if it wasn't USFSA sending a message to him....kind of a "Ok, you've had your chance, we're going with the young blood now, night night" thing.

And some of Dick's comments made me think "alrighty grampa, stop mixing meds and go to bed now". I love how he gets almost, hmmm, orgasmic when talking about some of the lady skaters! :biggrin:

Kasey

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kasey said:
And some of Dick's comments made me think "alrighty grampa, stop mixing meds and go to bed now". I love how he gets almost, hmmm, orgasmic when talking about some of the lady skaters! :biggrin:

Kasey
:rofl:
I thought Terry was going to have to hose him down there during MK's footwork.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I'm a greyhound owner and skating fan. I haven't seen the broadcast yet- I'm in Portland- so I haven't heard Dick's comment. I think when you watch a greyhound run full out, it is absolutely astounding. Power and grace. I guess that's what he means. I don't think he meant that Johnny sleeps on the couch on his back the other 23 hours of the day... :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Actually, I think the analogy made sense as well, tho personally I think Johnny would be more of a whippet than a greyhound.....

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
ITA Sk8 and Johnny - one of the few of Dick's analogies I thought I understood and agreed with! Hmm...on the Whippet. I haven't seen Johnny in person and don't even remember how tall he is, but you might be right there!

LOL telling Dick to stop mixing meds and go to bed. And some of his comments about the young girls are pretty, well, scary!!

DG

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
LOL telling Dick to stop mixing meds and go to bed. And some of his comments about the young girls are pretty, well, scary!!

DG

If he starts breaking into a chorus of "Thank Heaven For Little Girls" -- and the scary part is I only halfway put it past him -- I am SO turning the TV off.......

BTW, Jonny is 5'9. Which is actually kind of tall, for a skater. I suspect Shaun Rogers is about 5'1...

Vash01

Medalist
He compared a young lady skater (can't remember which one) with a hummingbird. Johnny was already a greyhound and a gazelle....? What do we have next? A skating ZOO?!!

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
He compared a young lady skater (can't remember which one) with a hummingbird. Johnny was already a greyhound and a gazelle....? What do we have next? A skating ZOO?!!
:rofl: :p :rofl: :rofl: :p :rofl:

He was referring to Kimmie Meissner as a hummingbird.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
nicole_l said:
I agree. Evan's program was cleaner, but Matt's program was more exciting and had better transistions, he'd do very well under COP.

After the SP, I really wanted Matt to win. I thought he should've been third.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
childfreegirl said:
After the SP, I really wanted Matt to win. I thought he should've been third.

I agree that Matt should have been third in the short. I was mesmorized by his program. I like the new, less clean cut look and feel of his skating this year. Too bad we can't have four guys go to Worlds.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I wonder if Matt will end up going to 4CC?

I somehow doubt that both Tim and Johnny would go. Might be a nice opp for Matt after such a stand out Nats. Hmmm.

DG