Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards | Golden Skate

Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm pleased to say that I haven't seen THAT many costumes that are down right horrible. In terms of an "all event award" I still say Michael's tattoo thingy takes the cake so far. What REALLY scared me was Dick's favorable comment which made me think DICK might just go out and get one himself. YIKES!! Wish I could remember Dick's exact remark, but I'll write it down when I watch re-runs tomorrow.

While I don't think it's completely horrid, I'm not crazy about Sasha's SP costume. The keyhole thing is ..... WHY???? and I don't care for those cheap looking gold thingys, whatever they are.

I also think Bebe should drop that flag thing on her arm. It reminds me of the flags you have to put on a long item that sticks out the back of your pickup truck.

PLEASE NOTE....my snarking over costume opinions has nothing to do with my opinions about anyone's skating skills. This is just for fun.

DG

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
In terms of an "all event award" I still say Michael's tattoo thingy takes the cake so far. What REALLY scared me was Dick's favorable comment which made me think DICK might just go out and get one himself. YIKES!! Wish I could remember Dick's exact remark, but I'll write it down when I watch re-runs tomorrow.
What really blew me (and apparently Terry Gannon) away, was when Dick said that he preferred Kashmir over Stairway To Heaven. And to think that all these years, I had him pegged as a guy who went home at night and listened to nothing but Beethoven and Mozart. :cool:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
ITA Idle...

Once could continue replaying these events long after each skating program has been memorized, just to write a short story with Dick's noteable quotes.

Mean time, Inoue is a STRONG contender for the Wedgie Award. Too bad too...I really do like that costume. If only the skirt were a couple inches longer, and the tush stayed hidden. It might be too early to GIVE her this award...who knows what wedgies we might see in the Ladies free skate...

DG

Kuchana

On the Ice
Not a fan of Weir's outfit. Just isn't my cup of tea. That and Weiss as well. Other than that, the men's and the women's (the short) costumes were decent. Not gaudy or too simple.

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Kuchana said:
Not a fan of Weir's outfit. Just isn't my cup of tea. That and Weiss as well. Other than that, the men's and the women's costumes were decent. Not gaudy or too simple.

yeah, while I love the color of the LP outfit Johnny wears, maybe it has a tad too many things on, but hey if he likes it, what can I do? I do prefer his Rondo Capriccioso outfit, red and black. It's colorful but sort of sober at the same time. It has just what it needs, nothing more, nothing less.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Weir's LP costume looks like a giant snake has shed all over it.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Weir's LP costume looks like a giant snake has shed all over it.

Shed... yup, that's a good word. I was thinking of another word that starts with the same two letters, but yours is probably a better choice considering that this is a G-rated board! ;) I love Johnny, but that costume is really hideous.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ladies LP costumes are gorgeous so far......oh I just saw Bebe's and it looks like they ran out of material on the front and back..

Mike's tatoo shirt is the only one I found offensive, ugly, or any other negative adjective you want to use.

anazetra

Spectator
I nominate Rena Inoue not because the costume was awful, but because she had the worst wedgie i've ever seen EVER. i was so distracted thinking she needed to pick it. honestly, women should not wear underware that look like they come from an 80s workout video like the russians do.

on the other hand, i think the women had gorgeous long program dresses, my favorites being jenny and sasha. i liked michelle's but while she was warming up, the skirt caught on to the dress in the back and you could see her underware. dresses shouldn't do that.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
ITA on Rena!!!

anazetra said:
I nominate Rena Inoue not because the costume was awful, but because she had the worst wedgie i've ever seen EVER. i was so distracted thinking she needed to pick it. honestly, women should not wear underware that look like they come from an 80s workout video like the russians do.

on the other hand, i think the women had gorgeous long program dresses, my favorites being jenny and sasha. i liked michelle's but while she was warming up, the skirt caught on to the dress in the back and you could see her underware. dresses shouldn't do that.
Also noticed Michelle's little malfunction in the warmup. I was thinking to myself, "GEEZ I hope that skirt doesn't catch like that AND she get a wedgie." Thankfully that didin't happen.

So I guess our big awards are:

Rena - Wedgie.
Mike - Rusty Hanger
Johnny - Worst Use of Dead Animal Skin

Any others?:laugh:

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ya gotta add that big 'ole fake flesh river running down the front and back of BeBe.

My 5 and 7 y/o nephews were watching with me and one wanted to know why Katie and Garret had "too much jewelry on their clothes"? Also, when Sasha was doing her final spin in her SP the 5 y/o started laughing the 7 y/o said "Aunt Patti you need to give Colby a time out. He's making fun of that girl who's leg fell off." :rofl:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I actually REALLY liked Bebe's dress! I think it was a bit too open for a 16 year old, but I think it really suited her program.

I also liked Katy Taylor's dress.

Pink is not Sasha's color.

Speaking of jewerly, I think it is Kimmie who has to tone down with all the rings, bracelets and chains!

I did not like the outfits Katie and Garret wore (Peggy, on the other hand, really liked them!). Charles and Beata's costumes (2002) were much more suited for the music.

Yana

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Piel!

Piel said:
Ya gotta add that big 'ole fake flesh river running down the front and back of BeBe.

My 5 and 7 y/o nephews were watching with me and one wanted to know why Katie and Garret had "too much jewelry on their clothes"? Also, when Sasha was doing her final spin in her SP the 5 y/o started laughing the 7 y/o said "Aunt Patti you need to give Colby a time out. He's making fun of that girl who's leg fell off." :rofl:
I wasn't nuts about BB's costume either. I think there might be some logic behind it. She seems physically to be on the shorter more muscular side compared to the more slender, lanky / leggy gals. So a costume that has some strong vertical lines makes some sense. BUT...if that indeed was the goal, and I don't know that, I'm not sure the river of vertical flesh was the best way to accomplish that.

While that one legged looking spin of Sasha's is yet another demonstration of her incredible flexability and spinnability, I too find it really disturbing in that she looks like her leg got chopped off.

Kids definitely say the darndest things!!!

:rofl:

DG

Eeyora

Final Flight
Okay I hate to say it but I hated Michelle's long program dress. It didn't work for me. I don't like gold nor do I think it looks good on Michelle. I hated the gold plated texture. I didn't like the cut of the dress either.

I loved both of Sasha's costume. The dark eyes costume worked well on camera. I loved the detail. The long program dress was beautiful as well. However a cooler toned pink would have looked better on her.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Rusty hanger

Idleracer - I caught Dick's comment too! The dude knows Kashmir enough to recommend it over Stairway... wow, but it figures Mr. Button must have been cool back in the late sixties (or was he born in a tux?). đź‘Ť

Doggygirl - yup, I saw Michelle's bottom flap hinge itself to the zipper or the sequins. Weren't you thinking "Oh please let someone fix that or we are gonna have a golden panty show"? ITA with you about Sasha's one-legged spin; I find it entertaining and disturbing at the same time; I don't think people are supposed to look like that.

NJSk8Fan - I am so totally with you on Mike's get up. Where did he think he was, in a bar in San Francisco? With a choker and painter's pants no less! :rofl:

Tenorguy

Kasey

Medalist
Sasha looked like the pepto-bismol bottle exploded on her and she decided to wear it anyway...BAD, BAD color for her!

Was I the only one who disliked Sean Roger's "slightly less bondage but still flagrant ripoff of Joubert's Matrix" outfit?

And I strongly dislike fleshy cutouts on MEN'S costumes (Naughty boy Matt).

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey..... :disapp:

I agree, Michelle's costume doesn't seem to work...the fabric, the texture, even the color. I think "Bolero" (which I am really starting to dislike, by the way), but I think "passion, sexuality"....A deep red would be wonderful....

Kasey

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Tenorguy said:
NJSk8Fan - I am so totally with you on Mike's get up. Where did he think he was, in a bar in San Francisco? With a choker and painter's pants no less! :rofl:

Tenorguy

Y'know -- this is the number one thing that absolutely GETS me about Michael Weiss. This dude spends a huge amount of time doing the Look How Straight I Am. See? Here's My Wife! Here's My Kids! Show My Wife Again! -- and then he goes out there about 50% of the time looking like a West Hollywood Party Boy. Inconsistent much??

Beyond that --

Well, I have to say I was disappointed; not nearly as many fashion disasters this year as last year. I do agree that Sasha's pink dress was a little too pale pink for her, but at least it wasn't RETINA SEARING YELLOW WITH RUFFLES like last year. I liked Meissner's dress the best among the ladies in the last 6. The only two fashion statements of note I can come up with for this Nationals are:

"Word to the wise -- if you're wearing a beaded black dress, don't stand too close to the document shredder" -- Melissa Gregory.

"To make this dress, you will need: Six or seven danish, a couple of yards of fabric, and seven cans of gold spraypaint" -- Michelle Kwan.

Actually, the trend that's really annoying me is the fact that the ladies dresses are getting skimpier every year. I know they're moving around a lot, but DON'T THEY GET COLD???? I'm willing to bet that more than half the ladies have bad colds by the time these competitions are over. It's getting to the point where in a couple of years it's going to be "Victoria's Secret Skate America" as opposed to "SmartOnes Skate America". This really jumped out at me when they showed that clip of Harding landing the triple axel in 91; y'know, that dress may have been a bit ugly, but at least she was covered up and wasn't risking pneumonia. Actually -- with the exception of male swimmers and divers, I can't think of one sport where LESS clothes are worn. And even half the male swimmers are wearing bodysuits now!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Sasha's SP dress worked really well for her from a distance..BUT close up it looked like a gypsy nightmare! I liked the gold coins on it, but what was up with the skirt..?? She must have gotten into my grandmothers trunk and pulled out one of her shawls..lol Although, I did really like her pink LP dress...very classy..
Again, from a distance I really like Jonny W LP costume..it goes well with the chimes in the music.. It reminds me of icecycles..which is the goal they were aiming for when making it Im sure.. BUT up close it looked like the blue scales from Puff the Magic Dragon..lol
Anyway, loved both of Michelle's costumes...as always..I like the simplicity of Kimmie M dresses..

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Am I the only one who loved the fabric of Michelle's outfit? I don't want people thinking I'm an anti-Kwan oor something, but I thought the fabric was great. The only things I didn't like is the skirt, too short, and the color (she already has many gold costumes, change the color Michelle). The same outfit, but in a scarlet red, would have been amazing IMO. About Johnny's costume, I would keep the snake-skin-like/net-like material (I actually like it), but I would remove the napkins/tissue material he has. I loved Sasha's color, which is what I had in mind for the nutcracker: something pale, like soft pink or very light-light burgundy would have also looked good to me.

In other nes, I was happy at Marshall's that Ryan Janhke changed his costume as well. Hope he kept it for nationals, did he?