Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards

heyang

Record Breaker
I vote against MK's LP dress. I'm sure part of it was that the skirt didn't drape correctly as indicated by it being at her waist during the warm up. Also, it just didn't seem Bolero-ish to me. The music is strong and dramatic and sensual - gold smetalic wirls doesn't say sensuous to me.

Her SP dress was nice, but I agree with Realtor Girl - it's time for a new designer. I'd like to see MK dressed in something by Jeff Billings. I've loved the costumes he's done for SOI and Kristi and others. He did Sarah's Olympic outfits and they were lovely. During the last couple of years, MK's dresses by Vera Wang have seemed to 'fail' - i.e.last year she kept on pulling up the bodice and this year she kept on yanking on the waist and the skirt at the waist. Kinda surprising since Vera was a skater and should understand the needs of the skater to not have the outfit sag in the wrong places.

Didn't care for the 'hole' in Sasha's SP dress over her abs. Was distracting and didn't 'add' to the dress. Didn't think the right shade of pink was used for Sasha's LP - but that could've been the TV broadcast.

I thought Kimmie's SP dress was perfect for her and the program.

nubka

Final Flight
With her skin tone and dark hair, Michelle would look much more stunning in silver, as opposed to the ever-prresent gold.

Eeyora

Final Flight
nubka said:
With her skin tone and dark hair, Michelle would look much more stunning in silver, as opposed to the ever-prresent gold.

exactly

She's a winter

diver chick

On the Ice
I think Michelle would look really good in a deep royal purple and if she loves the gold so much then maybe have the underside of the skirt in gold as an accent or a gold chiffon type under skirt. Also I think to add to the richness of a costume a velvet look/texture is unbeatable.

Kimmie's dress was lovely in the LP and Jenny Kirk's dresses are nice but she is in danger of falling into the same trap as Michelle in terms of the style of her costumes becoming the same year in year out.

I didn't think Sasha's costumes suited her and I didn't like the style of the SP dress. I would like to see Sasha wearing rich blues and greens (not together obviously) and if she is so hell bent on using bright colours then to use them as accents on darker coloured costumes. There is nothing wrong with yellow - but sparingly, as a trim or an underskirt to a black or other dark colour and don't have red lipstick on with it.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Doubleaxelcm, while I respect your opinion, your idea of the ideal men's costume makes me want to scream. Dull, dull, dull. Give me flashy, give me flamboyant, just don't give me a vest and pants. *yawn* Matt's SP costume worked because the music was so understated (but HE SOLD IT), and if you are going to skate to something called Xotica, you better be wearing hot burgundy velvet with cutouts. :agree:

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I'm sorry Princess. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to men's costumes. I just think costumes like johnny weir's and michael weiss's costumes have their place: at the circus. I know that the links I gave happened to all be fairly similar and I'm not quite that closed-minded, those were just the quick links available but still, keep it simple guys.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Doggygirl said:
I too think Matt's nerdiness of younger days has turned into HOT...in that geeky sort of way these days. Love the hair, the physique, and all of that. I guess that's why in my fashion critique I personally gave him a bye on those cutouts!!

Now parents of young men everywhere will be as afraid of me as parents of young girls everywhere are afraid of Dick Button.

DG
Lock up your daughters! It's Dick Button! :rofl:
You're not the only dirty old woman on this board, DG.
Whoever waved a magic wand over Matt's head and turned him into a whole different skater, THANK YOU! Now, if only you'd waved that wand over the judges so they'd recognize ARTISTRY if they saw it, he'd have wound up on the podium like he deserved.
Goebel, schmabel.
Rave

Lucy25

Final Flight
Add me to the minority because I loved Michelle's LP dress. It is very unique and I love the skirt. Sasha's LP dress looked way too young for her and that is not a good color for her. It totally washed her out. I thought a button broke on her SP dress and that's why there was a hole there! (not really, but that's what it looked like.) Am I the only one who thought Sasha's lipstick was way too thick (heavy)?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Speaking of lipstick, I wonder whether many of you who did not like Michelle's LP dress felt she looked a bit washed out because she wasn't wearing that bright red lipstick she usually wears.

Or maybe you really just didn't like the dress.

euterpe

Medalist
I loved Kimmie's SP costume, but I wish someone would tell her to NOT part her hair in the middle, and wear at least a little makeup.

Someone on another board said she was Amish (I find that rather hard to believe) and that's why she doesn't wear makeup. But she is so pale and her features are so small that with the bright lights reflected back from the ice, she really needs makeup. I'd like to be able to see her eyes and her smile, but they get lost in the glare.

GlitterTwist

Rinkside
Oh, and I just wanted to bring up Tanith's Original Dance dress. I loved it! Absolutely loved it =) Very classy and glamerous and the pink looked lovely on her. But I think Tanith always looks lovely. I know this is the rusty hanger thread but I just had to bring that up.

Now, costumes I hate? Michelle's LP dress. and I didn't like the SP one either but at least the color was nice. Sasha's LP dress, too childish but I loved her makeup with it. Johnny's LP costume I actually liked until I really started looking at it. But on the ice I think it has a really nice effect and worked with the music.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I liked Kwan's dress although I too think she would look better in silver. That fabric seems to be tissue thin so it's very easy for it to get caught on the sequined part of the dress. Jayne Torville's Bolero dress looked almost Grecian so I don't have any complaints about Kwan's on that level. I would like to see Sasha in something like a velvet so that she wouldn't look so thin. Kimmmie's SP dress reminded me of paint chips for some reason. Jenny's LP dress had that kind of 60's/70's halter top vibe going on which went well with her music but the hairdo looked too sophisticated for the dress. BeBe's HP dress gets a :disagree: were those lines supposed to represent wands? This is a question for RGal to ask RGal Jr..... our HP expert. :)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I have a parody to share...

...that could have been written for this thread. A couple things first - Nationals cured me of the writer's block I've had since the election, and I was up waaaay too late last night writing four figure-skating themed parodies. Yes! I was HEALED! by figure skating. The other three will post on amiright.com tomorrow morning, but as this one fits really well into the costume thread, I can post it here, too. It's sung to the tune of "Happy Together" by The Turtles, and it's called "Costume of Pleather":

Oh I can jump and spin, on ice
And think that I look just as cool as Michael Weiss
A medal and a six-point-oh would sure be nice
In costume of pleather

If I were on the street, people would stare
But when I skate I feel just like Brian Joubert
I look up on the podium, see myself there
In costume of pleather

Dance and leap and try not to fall on my face
In clothes that squeak
I won't skate in sequins or fishnet or lace
'Cause I'd look weak!

Vinyl, mesh, some PVC
Go shirtless so the little girls will scream at me
I'll watch them throw their teddy bears at manly me
In costume of pleather

Bet you wonder how I can do a big split
In such tight pants
People love me even when I skate like (an amateur)
Just ask in France!

Watch me skate, hey look at me
I'll double-foot the biggest jumps you'll ever see
Dick Button loves my slash-and-burn vitality
In costume of pleather
My costume of pleather
I borrowed from Heather
Her costume of pleather...

PS - one of the others is a parody of Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla", called "Dick Button". Scroll through the new submissions tomorrow at www.amiright.com, if you dare... :laugh:
xoxo,
Rave

:rock: :agree: :rofl: Awrrrrright!!!

So these won't be up until tomorrow? Do you have to catch them on the exact day? The link "New submissions for the last two weeks" doesn't seem to work.

Mathman -- aka, the amateur. ;)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Mathman said:
:rock: :agree: :rofl: Awrrrrright!!!

So these won't be up until tomorrow? Do you have to catch them on the exact day? The link "New submissions for the last two weeks" doesn't seem to work.

Mathman -- aka, the amateur. ;)
Thanks, Mathman!
Alas, we'll all have to wait until tomorrow morning, barring any technical mishaps.
Rave

sk8m8

Final Flight
While I totally agree that Mike W needs to ditch the tatoo look, it's Katie and Garret that look like they were going from the short program directly to "LeatherFest"
BURN THEM NOW!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I loved Kimmie's SP costume, but I wish someone would tell her to NOT part her hair in the middle, and wear at least a little makeup.

Someone on another board said she was Amish (I find that rather hard to believe) and that's why she doesn't wear makeup. But she is so pale and her features are so small that with the bright lights reflected back from the ice, she really needs makeup. I'd like to be able to see her eyes and her smile, but they get lost in the glare.

A little makeup wouldn't hurt. Who Kimmie reminded me of was Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who was the "kid brother" on 3rd Rock From The Sun, in drag.

Linny

Final Flight
Various

MK didn't wear make-up, either, when she was Kimmie's age.

The SP for Sasha simply doesn't work on skater without a bust. The costume on Katy works better.

Tonya Harding's costume was shocking for it's time with her deep plunging V in the front (illusion fabric). Interesting that it looks like more coverage in retrospect.

The skirt fabric was the problem on MK's LP gold, that and the attempt at a drop waist-line.

Rena Inoe doesn't have anything back there to hold her skirt in place. Would that I had the same problem!

Matt Savioe's hair gave him a sort of mad scientist look (think Einstein)... I liked it. Worked with the programs.

Timmy's SP costume showed off his improved posture. FINALLY some improvement.

You see dog collars in other places besides SF. Some of the most macho rock stars wear them. It's not a gay/straight thang. Methinks he was going for an Axel Rose kinda look without actually sitting for the needles/ink in the skin. Too bad his pants don't fit. Good thing he wore a belt to hold them up.

Linny