All Props due to the Kween | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All Props due to the Kween

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Props to Michelle

Hey Rgirl! I think I remember first seeing your avatar back in '02 aught two as they say. Can't believe we've been hanging out here for that long!

I want to get your opinion - I'm hearing 'mumbles' about the content of Bolero versus Sasha's Nutcracker. I recorded the LPs on DVR (they are such cool technology). I have watched Michelle's and Sasha's LPs back to back about 4 times, and Bolero grows on me. I feel there is alot going on in there that is very subtle - very Michelle of course - but dense. I know others feel its rather empty; like last season's Tosca. I think this is a sophisticated, and thank the skating gods, a dance free of cheap flamenco-spanishy cliches.

What was/is you gut feeling from a dance perspective? Inuiring minds want to know....

Tenorguy

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am thrilled for Michelle. It may not have been her best skate but it was good enough. It reminded me a bit of her performance at 2001 Nationals.

Hey Tenorguy,
Yep, we're a couple of old GS fogies, lol.

Re your question, I touched on the sophistication of "Bolero" compared to "Nutcracker" briefly -- VERY briefly -- on the "Ladies LP" thread. Basically I said I thought "Bolero" was sophisticated and "Nutcracker" wasn't.

In fact I was more impressed with "Bolero" watching it tonight. I've only got a few working brain cells left (plus "South Park" is on), so I won't attempt to say much right now. Plus I want to watch both programs a couple of times more to focus on the choreography. One thing I did notice in "Bolero" was the complexity and variety of stroking that was used. I think a lot of people see stroking as stroking as stroking, when it can be used as a very difficult and interesting element.

Man, wish I had a DVR. I'm so jealous!:banging: But I've got it on tape, will watch both programs more tomorrow, and get back to you.

In return for my professionally in-depth, high-quality choreographic analysis:p, do you have any ideas about music for Michelle and Sasha that would both suit them, challenge them, and be interesting for those of us who would be only too happy if we never had to hear music such as Pachelbel's Canon again in all the reincarnations we have yet to live. I have my list, but would be interested to hear your ideas.

Rgirl

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Music for Michelle and Sasha

Right on Rgirl :agree: a great question!

First of all thank you for mentioning the stroking in Bolero..... I loved the pushes forward MK does with the fingers splayed out. Bold! She really skates with a point of view about the work. Love that!

I have always wanted Michelle to skate to Beethoven. I know, kinda odd, but I think the Appasionata piano piece would and possibly parts of the Eroica symphony would take advantage of Michelle's heroism. Maybe even the Triple Concerto. Strong music to be sure, and not done - at least I don't think I've ever seen anyone skate to Beethoven. Have to stay away from the 9th (Ode to Joy) - no one could keep up with the frenetic pace of the ending - they'd have to jump out of the arena or spin up to Mars to keep pace.

Ah, this just came to me... do you know Stravinsky's Pucinella Suite? It would work with either Michelle or Sasha. Very spunky, elegant and sweet.

For Sasha, I would go 2 ways. To get her to show off that line - actually to make it better - I'd love for her to have to stretch out to a Chopin nocturne, the one in E flat is so beautiful. I think Sasha would melt us all slowing down to a solo piano piece. Small arms, soft back, rounded legs..... that kind of thing. I beleive she should go smaller and build up to bigger. Leave the heavy Russian big boy composers alone for a while. Hey, maybe some Aaron Copeland, ala Martha Graham?

For the sparkling side of Sasha, wouldn't she do great with a piece from a tin pan alley score from the 20's? Something like a Dames at Sea - young, very light and something that Bernadette Peters would sing! Actually, I just want to see Sasha in a little sailor outfit - but that's just my own little fantasy! As the song says, Just my Imagination!

Tenorguy

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm way too tired to do a real review of the ladies LP, but I have to say that, although she could do a lot better, the Kween still reigns! Nine titles, baby!

To me, the most impressive part was that there was so much hype surrounding her regarding her 9th National title because it is the record tying one. Every where she went, she was asked about it, and many people had already crowned her the champ after the SP. It reminded me a lot of SLC, which scared me, but she pulled through and got the record.

The Kween still reigns!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Hey Tenorguy,
One thing I did notice in "Bolero" was the complexity and variety of stroking that was used. I think a lot of people see stroking as stroking as stroking, when it can be used as a very difficult and interesting element.

Rgirl

Oh, seems you are the only one notice this. I'm no expert, but I do hear the 'rumor' that RA was teaching MK new/strange 'stroking'.

Yeah. Nine prop to the KWEEN.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

shanilia

Rinkside
Congrats to Michelle. The queen of consistency and of clean programs has done it again. The girl stays on her feet 99% of the time. Everyone else can only dream of achieving that, even other veteran skaters.

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
shanilia said:
Congrats to Michelle. The queen of consistency and of clean programs has done it again. The girl stays on her feet 99% of the time. Everyone else can only dream of achieving that, even other veteran skaters.

ITA ! :agree:

Here's to the Kween's NINE National titles:
:rock: :yes: 👍 :yes: :rock: :yes: 👍 :yes: :rock:

All hail the Kween !

Hikaru

Final Flight
Tenorguy said:
I have always wanted Michelle to skate to Beethoven. I know, kinda odd, but I think the Appasionata piano piece would and possibly parts of the Eroica symphony would take advantage of Michelle's heroism. Maybe even the Triple Concerto. Strong music to be sure, and not done - at least I don't think I've ever seen anyone skate to Beethoven. Have to stay away from the 9th (Ode to Joy) - no one could keep up with the frenetic pace of the ending - they'd have to jump out of the arena or spin up to Mars to keep pace.

For Sasha, I would go 2 ways. To get her to show off that line - actually to make it better - I'd love for her to have to stretch out to a Chopin nocturne, the one in E flat is so beautiful. I think Sasha would melt us all slowing down to a solo piano piece. Small arms, soft back, rounded legs..... that kind of thing. I beleive she should go smaller and build up to bigger. Leave the heavy Russian big boy composers alone for a while. Hey, maybe some Aaron Copeland, ala Martha Graham?

For the sparkling side of Sasha, wouldn't she do great with a piece from a tin pan alley score from the 20's? Something like a Dames at Sea - young, very light and something that Bernadette Peters would sing! Actually, I just want to see Sasha in a little sailor outfit - but that's just my own little fantasy! As the song says, Just my Imagination!

Tenorguy

Ah Tenorguy, you sort of read my mind. I see Michelle skating to the Scherzo from Beethoven's 9th, very strong part, she could get a lot out of. I also see her skating to "All I ask of You" from The Phantom of the Opera, and she could skate also to any piece of Raul Di Blasio, many, many possibilities here.

For Sasha I see so many options she should explore. I see her skating to a beautiful piano music, like Debussy's Clair de Lune, I just love that piece. Something stronger, maybe a medley of Holts' The Planets. I even see her skating to "The Music of The Night", and "O Mio Babbino Caro" just for fun (I was watching A Room With a View so I have that toon in my head). Oh, and Mascagni's Intermezzo from "Cavarellia Rusticana", I just love that piece so much, it makes me cry of how beautiful it is!!

sk8m8

Final Flight
Michelle's win at Nats reminds me of Scott Hamiltons olympic gold medal skate...he and she would both be the FIRST to say, "it wasn't my best, but glad it was good enough to win" I agree with the poster who said this was a much better mens competition this year than the ladies...last year it was the converse, only Johhnny really stepped up to the plate, however Ryah Jahnke did a supurb job and deserved better marks.

As for MK's Bolero, was it rearranged? I seem to remember the 2A coming at the mid crecendo point rather than the trip she put there. I would say that, though not level 3 spins, her spins are vastly improved in both speed and variance of positions. It will be really interesting to see how they tweak the performance. My observation was, "this is MK, she has lots more in her for this program" I think she has a lot of "blank space" that can be filled with more interesting transitions (though the stroking was both efficient and effective) and though Uncle Dick reminded us (about 15 times) about how Iconoclastic her spiral is, she may want to up the ante and do something more with it to raise the difficulty for CoP.

As for Sasha...sorry SC fans, but it seemed like the "same ole', same ole' with the exception of the "music box dancer" spin (fabulous). And as for the "Beaver Cleaver" spin at the end, she needs to put that animal down humanly and pick another. Like many skating moves done by many skaters, difficult doesn't equate to effective. I sometimes actually think that her extension and line hurts her more than it helps, as it makes her mistakes seem just that much larger. As for musical choices...I think Sasha needs music that is as elegant as her skating. Warhorses are fine for listening, however, one shouldn't hear half the audience whisper "not that warhorse." I'd love to see SC do something from Lizst or Hyden. Elegant and complex, just like her skating.

As for MK, how about Copeland? I think Rodeo would be a great choice for her. It is geared towards dance and ballet so I think reasonable cuts could be made to put together a compelling piece of skaing music.

I had a nice seat just over the heads of the judges in Portland. After screaming my lungs out for Bebe whom I have been pushing as the best thing in America since salt water taffy for at least three years, I settled down to watch the divas.

My take on them is simply that they both need some more work on their routines, particularly in the technical.

MK's is choreographically better and as mentioned by everyone it's her fingers that get to you. What she has over SC is body language, not just in the fingers but on every turn and stroke throughout the program. Sasha, imo, sells her skate by her extensions and little else. Her body is constantly in the correct ballet position at the barre and not ballet on the stage.

As for their technical, I see nothing new except that new one-foot spin Sasha does. It's the same old spins and jumps for both of them. Irina is way a head of them in this category.

At this point in time, my money is on Irina, unfortunately, because I prefer the American divas.

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
As for their technical, I see nothing new except that new one-foot spin Sasha does. It's the same old spins and jumps for both of them. Irina is way a head of them in this category.
Michelle had two new spins in the LP. She had a change of edge camel at Marshall's but didn't do it at Nationals. Right now I agree that Irina has the edge overall, though.

flowjo35

On the Ice
I think Michelle did what she had to do to win. I don't think in terms of content this will be the same program at worlds. I am glad Michelle is not the favorite at worlds. She can really go for everything with fire, speed and attack, which I think she will. She has stated in a number of articles before nationals that things would be changed for worlds to make the program more COP friendly. I can not believe how she got through the pressure of this week. I am just going to sit back and enjoy no matter if she places 1, 2 or 3. :)