Ladies LP - if you saw it on TV or Live.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP - if you saw it on TV or Live....

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't have much time, but I will comment on Michelle. She seemed tenative and nervous from the very beginning and one could almost sense it. I agree that being the favorite generally seems not to bring out her best performances. "Bolero" has potential, but it didn't have the same kick or emotional intensity as "Spartacus". However, I think that has more to do with her performance level. "Tosca" wasn't a sublime program in itself, but she made it phenomenal by skating with loads of feeling and emotion. "Bolero" is a better program overall, IMO, and with some intense energy and emotion I believe it could be great. I have high hopes for Worlds. She hasn't peaked yet and you could see the disappointment in her face after she finished the LP. She isn't pleased with herself. She is hungry to prove herself and we all know how dangerous that can be for her competitors.

Lotta

On the Ice
I wonder, though, if some of the ladies don't go all out and play it safe because 1. they know who the favorite is and 2. they figure they'll wait their turn and try to just stay close to teh podium until then?

If that's the case, the other ladies shouldn't be thinking about MK and should go on thinking about themselves and that's it. Because you know, things can happen.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I am clearly in the minority here, but I really like Michelle's Bolero program. In fact, it's one of my favorite programs of hers in years. Granted, she didn't have a perfect skate last night, especially with the ending coming after the music, but overall I really do like the program. I feel like the very nature of the music--slow, steady, but very intense and passionate--mirrors Michelle's style on ice and is therefore a great choice for her.

I thought she had a really good skate last night--up until the last minute. Then things kind of fell apart. I'm disappointed and concerned that she doubled the second Lutz. That's exactly what she did at Worlds and the spring cheesefest last year. Michelle's ability to reliably land two triple Lutzes in her long programs (and six or seven triples overall) has, in my opinion, always been a cornerstone of her success (as it was for Kristi Yamaguchi). It's especially important for Michelle, in light of the fact that she's never developed a consistent triple-triple. To see her becoming
inconsistent with the Lutz, and doing only five-triple programs,
really worries me. She really, really needs to get that consistency back to maintain her top-three placing at Worlds.

I also agree with Dick that her straight-line footwork at the end of the program didn't really sing. I question whether the straight-line footwork really works as a climax point in that program. The nature of the music feels more continuous and circular, as opposed to linear and climactic, and I don't know if the straight-line footwork fits it. I felt like the serpentine footwork in the beginning of the program worked better. But perhaps the straight-line just didn't work last night because Michelle was already a little off and behind the music.

I am nonetheless optimistic about Michelle's chances at Worlds. I personally like the program and think it suits her. Her jumps look a little higher, her spins a little faster this year. And based on what I saw last night, I think she has added the difficulty in footwork and transitions that she needs for COP. Now if she can just fine-tune the program a bit and really go for *all* her triples, I think she will have a good chance at Worlds even without a triple-triple combination.

I agree with a previous poster that 4CC could give Michelle a great opportunity to test out COP without the pressure of Worlds. And going to 4CC would also really win her some brownie points with the ISU, which is not happy with her right now for skipping Grand Prix. That in turn could help her get those little extra tenths of a point from the judges at Worlds. So I really do wish she'd consider 4CC. But even without that, I do feel optimistic about Worlds and am really looking forward to seeing her there.

As to other women, well . . . I personally felt Michelle was very much the class of the field, even with a relatively subpar performance for her.

Sasha's performance was pretty much what I expected. Basically, her usual skate at Nationals--good but not perfect. The Nutcracker program is nice, but not exciting or innovative in any way. To me, it represents a step backward from her Tarasova long programs. I feel like the coaching change back to Nicks is a mistake too. Again it's going backward, when Sasha ought to be moving forward and trying new things. I am completely in awe of Sasha's talent, and at her worst she is still far better than most skaters will ever be. But her window of opportunity, competitively speaking, is passing her by. She was on the verge of a breakthrough in 2003 and 2004, but I feel like that is slipping away now.

I have similar feelings about Jenny Kirk. Jenny is so lovely and so talented. But she has had many opportunities and has not taken advantage of any of them. Last night was another example of that. Her time, too, is starting to pass by.

Kimmie Meissner clearly seems to be the skater of the future for U.S. ladies. Her consistency, solid technique, and competitive cool remind me of Michelle at that age. In terms of artistry and presence on the ice, though, she has quite a way to go. Even aside from the age rule, I think it's right for her to go to Junior Worlds and not Worlds this year. Like Cynthia Phaneuf, I think she will benefit from another year to develop. I do expect that she will probably make the Olympic team next year, though.

I enjoyed watching Katy Taylor. She obviously isn't as sound technically as Kimmie right now, but to me she has more personality and zing on the ice. Katy is fun; I like her skating. I hope she'll get more consistent with the jumps next year. What's interesting is that it looks to me like Katy is starting to develop a bit, whereas Kimmie clearly is not. That could account for Kimmie's continued success this year, whereas Katy seems to be struggling a bit. Who knows, the roles could be reversed next year. Growing up certainly isn't easy, is it?

Beatrisa Liang skated really well! She's always been a jumping bean, but now she's getting more consistent and developing her presentation skills more. I enjoyed her programs and hope she does well next year. I think the switch to Christy Ness could be good for her. Christy has always struck me as a very steady coach who focuses on the whole picture, as opposed to just jumps, and that's definitely what Bebe needs right now.

Overall it was a great night of skating! Michelle is looking good and there are some exciting young skaters coming up.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
I wonder, though, if some of the ladies don't go all out and play it safe because 1. they know who the favorite is and 2. they figure they'll wait their turn and try to just stay close to teh podium until then?

Or maybe because the harder and much riskier elements are actually hard and would explain why 3/3s and quads aren't that consistent for the ladies field worldwide.

Jhar55

Medalist
Only seen what was on TV, Kimmie landed the triple axel it wasn't real clean but good enough to count. My question is once she grows into her body will she be able to keep landing them? I thought Jenny program was more mature and the only reason she was placed behind Kimmie was the triple axel. I was so wanting her to place third but anyway she should get to go to worlds anyway. I think Bea has matured since last year. Katy it's the first time I'd heard of her.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am more concerned about Michelle's missing triple loop jump. Does anyone know why it wasn't included in the program? The doubled lutz could have been a faulty take-off or off on her music, but the loop is a "no-show"? 42

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
I am more concerned about Michelle's missing triple loop jump. Does anyone know why it wasn't included in the program? The doubled lutz could have been a faulty take-off or off on her music, but the loop is a "no-show"? 42

With COP, only 6 triple jump passes are allowed, so I think MK is preparing with that. She might do like a Liashenko and take out the loop because it won't score that high since she seems to have problems with it. She also has been practicing 3/3 with the loop on the end, and practicing those might have messed with her single triple loop timing and entrance.

Vash01

Medalist
Jhar55 said:
Only seen what was on TV, Kimmie landed the triple axel it wasn't real clean but good enough to count. My question is once she grows into her body will she be able to keep landing them? I thought Jenny program was more mature and the only reason she was placed behind Kimmie was the triple axel. I was so wanting her to place third but anyway she should get to go to worlds anyway. I think Bea has matured since last year. Katy it's the first time I'd heard of her.

I felt that Kimmie's 3A was very underrotated and should not have been ratified. In the future if someone else lands a similar 3A will they ratify that too? If they don't we have an inconsistency problem. If they do, we have a lack of accuracy problem.

I think Katy has been overhyped from the beginning.Not to say she does not have talent but she is not there yet jumpwise, nor presentation wise. Kimmie has the jumps and needs to work on artistry.

Bong, Bong, Bong

Watching Kimmie, Bebe and even Katy, I couldn't help thinking to myself:

Hey Michelle, hey Sasha, send not to ask for whom the bell tolls...

I think Katy Taylor will be fine. She just had an attack of nerves. So glad to see Bebe fully healthy and showing what she can do. I agree with Rgirl, what's cool about Kimmie is that she is right now, not something in potential that might show up in a few years. And we didn't even get to see Emily Hughes and Alissa Czisny, who finished sixth and seventh.

Eyria -- that was an outstanding analysis of Michelle and Bolero. Especially the part about the music calling for circular rather than straight-line footwork. That's it exactly. :agree:

Mathman

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks VIETgrl.......that explains a lot. I had better bone up on my "Code of Points"............42

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:
I think Katy Taylor ..... She just had an attack of nerves.

Most esteem Mathman, oh please do not say Katy Taylor has ataques de nervios (attack of nerves). According to one of your good friends here at GS, unless one is a MD or a PhD don't accuse skaters of anything mental. :)

one of MM's good friends said:
Unless you have M.D. or PhD. after your names I would suggest that you lay off accusing her of one disorder or another

Ah.. never mind, on second thought MM, ataques de nervios is a culture bound syndrome, not exactly a disease, and you do have many Ds behind your name. :)

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I haven't read everyone's comments yet, but I just wanted to say:

Kimmie - Great that she landed the 3A. I like the short better than the long. I thought it was interesting that she didn't do a triple toe - then again, maybe she was supposed to do a 3lutz/3toe or 3flip/3toe.

Beatrisa - I loved her at this competition!! Her programs were so musical and powerful. I can't wait to see her next year!! On another note, I wonder why Christy Ness wasn't with her? And did Bebe move to the Bay Area? That's where Ness is based, IIRC.

Katy - It was a rough night, but great that she did the 3lutz at the end. Despite the mistakes, I liked her long better than her short - even though she did seem to rush in between some moves.

Jenny - Nice program - but there have been better Beatles programs (Klimova/Ponomarenko and Brasserur/Eisler in 88). My concern is that the music (to me) seemed a bit monotonous and slow - there was no fast section that could get the crowd going . She started off strong, had some glitches in the middle, but finished strongly. I wonder if she would have stayed in 3rd if she didn't have mistakes since Kimmie landed the 3A.

Sasha - A friend of mine joked that she should choreograph her falls at the end for more impact. Seriously, she is a wonderful skater but as Dick said she needs to look from within. I think her programs are nice but do not hold my attention. I hope that she works hard in the next few weeks and performs brilliantly at Worlds. If she doesn't, what would she do? Would she leave Nicks again? Who could she go to?

Michelle - I love her, but it just seemed that she had this big weight throughout her performance and was never really able to let loose. I found this most notable during her spiral - she didn't have a big smile across her face like she usually does. And she did seem slow in some sections. It didn't help that her music ended before she did. Was it skating last? Was it knowing Kimmie did the 3A? Was it knowing she would make history if she won? Who knows??? Of the 3 times I've seen her perform Bolero, this was the weakest. It's too bad, because I do love this program and can see that she does move a bit differently and has some new spin positions. She knows that she needs to do some work before Worlds and I know she will. I hope that we will see a triple/triple and the triple loop.

That's all for now.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

shine

Record Breaker
eyria said:
Beatrisa Liang skated really well! She's always been a jumping bean, but now she's getting more consistent and developing her presentation skills more.
I disagree. Liang has never been a jumping bean. She's always had great programs with interesting and relatively complex choreography, and great spins and a very crisp and energetic presentation to boot. She's not your typical generic baby ballerina. She hasn't been quite as polished in the past as she's now, but she was never just a jumping bean.
And yes, I'm a total Bebe convert now! :rock:

Last edited:

shanilia

Rinkside
Hikaru said:
think Sasha has finally come to the point, for the interviews I've read so far and all, that she is going to put her enjoyment for skating over everything else.
I was just thinking the same thing. I realized this when watching the fluff piece on Michelle during the SP. She said she realized she had to skate from her heart, and then the results would follow. And sure enough, the results did follow, and boy did they follow.

This mentality has worked wonders for her. She is the first figure skater since I first started following the sport in'92 who truly places enjoying the experience of skating as the reason she's in competitions; most everyone else is in it to win. I am in complete awe of someone who can see competiton in this way.

Sasha has the reverse mentality. She skates to win, not to skate for the enjoyment and experience. It's pretty clear that wants to win so badly. Maybe if she took Michelle's mentality, she could shed all her inhibitions and self doubts.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
Kimmie Meissner is a little fire ball, isn't she? So is BeBe Liang. Once they start to age and mature as skaters, they are going to be quite something to watch. It's good to know that the new generation of skaters is going to keep me entertained and an American ladies fan.

Also, I need to say something about Sasha. After I saw Sasha skate and be interviewed this weekend, I have a whole new theory on why she moved to California. From all the interviews, she truly looked happier. I mean, obviously she wasn't happy that she wasn't skating perfect, but she looked calmer. I hope she'll be able to harness that enjoyment, and skate for fun. She needs to not be as "winning" focused, which I thought was the one thing that she had when with Robin. Maybe she'll be better if she just LOVES to skate. I hope so, because that's a great program.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
ESPN rebroadcasted the Nationals today, so naturally, I watched most of it again. I noticed something interesting. Right as Michelle came on the ice to skate her long, she opened her mouth wide and tugged on her ears. I wonder if they were plugged, which could make a difference in her hearing her music cues, highs and lows, and perhaps through her off at the end. Did anyone else see that ? If you taped it, watch her skate again...........42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
You could be right Show. I thought maybe that was how she said hello to Mathman. :biggrin:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
shanilia said:
I was just thinking the same thing. I realized this when watching the fluff piece on Michelle during the SP. She said she realized she had to skate from her heart, and then the results would follow. And sure enough, the results did follow, and boy did they follow.

This mentality has worked wonders for her. She is the first figure skater since I first started following the sport in'92 who truly places enjoying the experience of skating as the reason she's in competitions; most everyone else is in it to win. I am in complete awe of someone who can see competiton in this way.

If you think that Michelle doesn't have that killer mentality for winning, I believe you're wrong. I believe that she has stayed in this sport because she likes to win... and win... and win. Otherwise, why bother? I also think that her ultimate driving force and the reason she has remained eligible at this point in her career is the elusive Olympic gold medal... NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! If you think she stays in the sport just for the sheer joy of skating, you've been snowed. In that case, just join SOI and skate in front of an audience every single night and not just two or three times a year (plus COI).

Sasha has the reverse mentality. She skates to win, not to skate for the enjoyment and experience.

No offense intended, but how do you know this? Sure, people may say it, but unless they are mind readers, it's just supposition.

No skater pays all that money, devotes all that time and energy to the sport without having the desire to WIN, especially World and Olympic titles.

I've followed Michelle's career since before Salome. I feel I almost know her, but I really don't. My take on why she still skates could be that she wants a gold Oly medal despite the fact that she already has two Oly medals. Two Oly medals! So many skaters would die for just one.

She also skates, I think, because she indeed has a love of competition. She is not unique in this love affair with competition,. Many athlete's hang on because they are competition driven. It's not unlike an addiction.

A third reason for the long stay is money. She was the breadwinner in that family. She can make money and still skate eligible. That's not a bad life for her.

After 2006 Olys and if she does not win, I believe she will leave eligibility, I don't believe she will tour but she will make guest appearances for a short period of time including non skating related guest appearances. Win or lose the Olys will not hamper her popularity.

Joe

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
If you think that Michelle doesn't have that killer mentality for winning, I believe you're wrong. I believe that she has stayed in this sport because she likes to win... and win... and win. Otherwise, why bother? I also think that her ultimate driving force and the reason she has remained eligible at this point in her career is the elusive Olympic gold medal... NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! If you think she stays in the sport just for the sheer joy of skating, you've been snowed. In that case, just join SOI and skate in front of an audience every single night and not just two or three times a year (plus COI).

No skater pays all that money, devotes all that time and energy to the sport without having the desire to WIN, especially World and Olympic titles.

I agree. Michelle definitely enjoys skating, but she also loves winning, and who doesn't. Actually it would be weird if she didn't like winning. I think the thought of turning pro MAY have crossed her mind after 2002, but after winning the worlds in 2003, I have the impression that she set her mind to go to Torino for one more shot. If she only skated just because she liked it and not because she also wants to win, just like you said then, all the skaters would be doing tours and stuff. There's nothing wrong in wanting to win, since it's normal for any athlete. That's one of the things I like from Brian Joubert, 'cause he's honest and he says "yes I want to win". Is that a crime? of course not. I doubt Sasha is just skating only to win. She loves to skate. I think all skaters love to skate, otherwise they would go through all of this just for the heck of it.