Ladies LP - if you saw it on TV or Live.... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP - if you saw it on TV or Live....

Hikaru

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
After 2006 Olys and if she does not win, I believe she will leave eligibility, I don't believe she will tour but she will make guest appearances for a short period of time including non skating related guest appearances. Win or lose the Olys will not hamper her popularity.

I have the same impression. Maybe she'll choreograph for other skaters, or ABC could get rid of Brennan and put Michelle on the booth. I can just picture her with Dick and Peggy :yes:

heyang

Record Breaker
MK seemed too tight, like she is at the Olympics. Peggy Fleming commented that she seemed anxious during the warm up and then she had a long wait. The anticipation was high and I think MK really wanted a great performance. I noticed that she didn't let her breath out just before starting the program. Based upon some public speaking I've done, letting out a long breath before starting is great tension relief. MK and Sarah Hughes are quite known for letting out that long breath. but MK did not do that before Bolero last night.

Bolero as a program seemed better at the beginning of the season. I thought her original ending pose was more fitting to the music, but it could have lead to going over the time limit as the pose didn't allow for precise stopping.

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
A third reason for the long stay is money. She was the breadwinner in that family. She can make money and still skate eligible. That's not a bad life for her.

Joe

I have to respectfully disagree with this version, made popular by Brennan. Or if she was like you said was breadwinner. Danny Kwan retired from a telephone company with pension. All the kids are grown and on their own. Last I heard, Danny Kwan is building a ice skating rink/ training facility in Artesia California.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I don't think that a skater can get the same feelings (the pressure and intensity that Michelle has said that she loves) doing pro work that they can get competing. I think that Michelle will get those feelings, win or lose, so she gets something that (at least to her) is worthwhile, even if she doesn't win. IMHO, though, the real difference between Michelle and Sasha is that Michelle has learned that "I lost the competition" does not mean "I am a loser; I am a failure." Sasha, OTOH, gives the impression that she feels like a loser or a failure when she loses a compeition.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
She also skates, I think, because she indeed has a love of competition. She is not unique in this love affair with competition,. Many athlete's hang on because they are competition driven. It's not unlike an addiction.
After 2006 Olys and if she does not win, I believe she will leave eligibility, I don't believe she will tour but she will make guest appearances for a short period of time including non skating related guest appearances. Win or lose the Olys will not hamper her popularity.

Joe

I agree the love of competition, getting high on the andrain driving, it's an addiction.

To win an OGM? Yes properbaly but not the majore one any more.

From what I heard the rink side rumors, she has been honest saying that she is playing day by day and love for the competetion. Heck I would say she is going by competetion by competetion.

She dosn't need the money. But hey if there is some to earn why not? She weren't go out of her way to make this a decition break point.

After she retiring? She will coach, may be periodically tour that I'm not sure (but just guess she needs that periodically 'injection' of audience cheering and high). But coach she will, she already had her eye set on ...

I heard Danny's rink is scheduled open this month.

Last edited by a moderator:

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I don't think that a skater can get the same feelings (the pressure and intensity that Michelle has said that she loves) doing pro work that they can get competing. I think that Michelle will get those feelings, win or lose, so she gets something that (at least to her) is worthwhile, even if she doesn't win. IMHO, though, the real difference between Michelle and Sasha is that Michelle has learned that "I lost the competition" does not mean "I am a loser; I am a failure." Sasha, OTOH, gives the impression that she feels like a loser or a failure when she loses a compeition.

ITA. :rock:

MKbeauty

Rinkside
re:

"After she retiring? She will coach, may be periodically tour that I'm not sure (but just guess she needs that periodically 'injection' of audience cheering and high). But coach she will, she already had her eye set on ..."undefined

Wow, Mzheng - I don't know why, but I never thought of Michelle being a coach. I had heard before about the rink, but she would be an awesome coach. And Michelle obviously loves working with children. Did you see the pictures of her from the Detroit promo. Looked like she was in heaven. :)

Hikaru

Final Flight
MKbeauty said:
"After she retiring? She will coach, may be periodically tour that I'm not sure (but just guess she needs that periodically 'injection' of audience cheering and high). But coach she will, she already had her eye set on ..."undefined

Wow, Mzheng - I don't know why, but I never thought of Michelle being a coach. I had heard before about the rink, but she would be an awesome coach. And Michelle obviously loves working with children. Did you see the pictures of her from the Detroit promo. Looked like she was in heaven. :)

Wel actually I think it would be kinda logical that she did some coaching, maybe not right away, but I definitely see her doing that. What skater wouldn't want to have her as a coach?? and coaching is the closest you can be to completition, when not compiting yourself. She would be awesome! she could work with train Katy taylor hehehe...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel...

You TOTALLY crack me up. I hope to see you someday at a comedy club. You'd be terrific!!

:rofl:

DG

RealtorGal, you know I love you to pieces, but I don't see how you can continually claim to be able to read Michelle's mind, while at the same time condemn those who try to read Sasha's:

Responding to the assertion: "(Michelle) is the first figure skater since I first started following the sport in'92 who truly places enjoying the experience of skating as the reason she's in competitions; most everyone else is in it to win,"

you say:

RealtorGal said:
"If you think that Michelle doesn't have that killer mentality for winning, I believe you're wrong. I believe that she has stayed in this sport because she likes to win... and win... and win."
But answering the claim: "(Sasha) skates to win, not for the enjoyment and experience,"

your view is

RealtorGal said:
"No offense intended, but how do you know this? Sure, people may say it, but unless they are mind readers, it's just supposition."
I especially wonder how people get the idea so fixed in their heads that:

"(Michelle's) ultimate driving force and the reason she has remained eligible at this point in her career is the elusive Olympic gold medal."

I think that, at 24, Michelle's life has more subtlety and depth than that (not that there's anything wrong with it!)

But what do I know?:p

Mathman:)

PS. Tech note to MK Beauty: To make your buttons for Quote, Bold, etc., work in the natural way, first click on "Enhanced Mode" at the top of the dialogue box.:)

MM

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman (love you back) BUT:

I don't claim to read anyone's mind. I just get so tired of reading posts that claim definitively that Michelle skates for the love of skating but Sasha doesn't. Period. It's all a load of bunk. Read the original post to which I responded. Same old same old. Good Michelle. Bad, bad, bad Sasha.

How does ANYONE know that Michelle skates solely for the love of skating? How does ANYONE know that Sasha skates solely to win? These types of assertions are ridiculous.

If you read my post, I said that "I believe" Michelle likes to compete. She has said so on numerous occasions. I don't believe that it's a far jump to believe that if someone states repeatedly that she likes to compete so much, she also likes to win. Most people enter competitions to WIN.

You also assume that I am making that comment in a negative light. Nothing could be further from the truth. It seems so totally logical that one enters a competition to WIN it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Look, as to Michelle's "Bolero" performance at Nationals.......if all you need is a field goal to win, you don't need to go for the touchdown. Being in first, skating last, Sasha and Jenny not having perfect skates meant all Michelle needed was to stay vertical.......safe. If she looked cautious and didn't skate with the wild abandon that everyone expects everytime she sets skates to ice it shouldn't be a surprise. This was a HUGE win. To tie a National record was not just an accomplishment, I'm guessing, but maybe a burden as well.............She got the job done........watch for wild abandon when she skates during COI.....42

mzheng

Record Breaker
MKbeauty said:

Actually, IMO, it makes a lot of senses if you listen to her interviews during the Nationals whenever the Merrible was mentioned. She said Merrible coached Frank, while Frank coached her. I bet when she was young with Frank he must mentioned Merrible often to young Michelle, this had to be a great influence at young age and she'd remember it and grownup with this influence. It's only natural she wanted to follow her peers steps pass what she learn to the next generations.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
RealtorGal said:
How does ANYONE know that Michelle skates solely for the love of skating? How does ANYONE know that Sasha skates solely to win? These types of assertions are ridiculous.

I totally agree. If Sasha didn't enjoy skating, and didn't enjoy the process, she would never have gotten past a novice level. Maybe she is focused on winning now (I don't claim to know the truth, just speculating), but to suggest that she doesn't enjoy skating at all, and only winning is just silly, for lack of a better word. She never would have gotten this far in the sport if she only liked winning.

I say the same thing for Michelle. If she were skating purely for love of the sport, she never could have gotten where she is today. She has to love it to some extent, and I'm sure she does, but you have to have somewhat of a drive to win in order to win 9 national championships. I mean, there are days you just DON'T want to skate, and then there are days you're sick, and days you're upset. To be a true champion, you have to be willing to skate through the days that AREN'T enjoyable, and, of course, Michelle had to have done this to be a champion.

To make a generalization about either of the skaters is going too far. Neither of them are ALL one way or ALL the other, it just isn't feasible. No truly competitive athlete would be able to go all the way without a well rounded view of the sport.

Vash01

Medalist
One thing Michelle has said consistently is that she LOVES to compete; she loves to challenge herself. IMO that is why she is still around. As long as she gets that thrill and her body can handle it, she will be around. I am sure she has an eye on that OGM that has eluded her (she sounds like a very goal oriented person), but I don't think that's the only thing that is driving her. I also don't think it is just the love of skating but rather the love of competing that is an important factor in what she is doing. IMO Irina has that kind of love of competing too, or she would not have returned to worlds last year, considering the seriousness of her illness. These two must have a lot in common.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
First and foremost, I'm thrilled Michelle won and tied Maribel Vinson Owen's record. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Michelle has fallen on a jump at Nationals since 1997.
Michelle fell on the 3loop at 2000 Nationals. She has been fall-free at U.S. Nationals from 2001-present.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Thoughts on U.S. Ladies LPs

I saw the ladies LP live.

Kimmie Meissner: Her first year on the scene and already she's a contender. Her choreography had some lovely moments and I think she has the potential to grow into a strong artistic skater, but right now still has a juniorish quality. There is no denying her jumping talent. It may have been a wonky landing, but a 3axel is a 3axel. Lets hope she develops steadily and naturally.

Bebe Liang: After being under the radar for a few years, Bebe bursts back in a major way! Many of the young girls are trying to emulate Michelle and/or Sasha, so I love that Bebe has developed her own unique style. She skated with power, energy and dynamic, CoP friendly choreography. I saw shades of Irina Slutskaya, Liz Manley and Naomi Nari Nam but Bebe is truly her own creation.

Katy Taylor: Was not impressed with her SP or LP. Maybe it just wasn't her night. She seems out of her league.

Jenny Kirk: Frankly, I thought her LP was bad. She did a decent job of skating it, but it just isn't "her." She needs something with more pizzazz, like her "Chicago" SP. Just as with last year's LP, she seems constrained by the music and choreography. Still problems with her spins, jump technique, basic skating, etc. basically the same problems as last season, plus she lost her 3/3. Jenny is a sweet girl, but she will never rise into skating's elite.

Sasha Cohen: The choreography is a step down from her Tarasova days. Her eye-popping artistry is still there, but take out the showstopping moves and the program looks generic. Still, I actually thought her LP performance this year was better than at 2004 Nats and she does have some beautiful moments in it.

Michelle Kwan: Her SP is great, but I am not loving Bolero. She finished behind the music and the overall performace didn't gel. The program was practially transitionless and there was way too much choreographic dead space. It is not as much of a recycled program as "Tosca" was, but IMO there are still too many similarities between Bolero and Tosca/Aranjuez. What might have been a mediocre skate was saved by Kwan's absolute skating quality, consistency and spotless polish. Overall a good skate, but nowhere close to her best.

Not the most inspiring ladies final, but still much better than the men in 2003.

Last edited: