My Hubby Has A Question....! | Golden Skate

My Hubby Has A Question....!

nubka

Final Flight
My husband was actually watching the Ladies LP tonight (ususally of NO interest at all to him.) Anyway...he wants to know: other than because of an injury, has a skater EVER just given up and left the ice during a particulalry horrid, falling apart, splatfest performance?? I've never seen it happen.

It's sooooo hard to watch a skater struggle through fall after fall...it must take everything they have mentally (and physically) to just finish the performance so they can get off the ice.

What say you??

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I have personally never seen a competitor leave the ice before finishing a program other than for injury. Or at least the appearance of injury. :)

My hubby is not interested in figure skating either. But he did take a second look at that extreme wedgie Rena was showing off during pairs. Maybe there is hope to get him more interested. :)

DG

Vash01

Medalist
Tonya Harding came close to giving up at the Olympics 94 LP, but she managed to convince the judges that something was wrong with her boot laces and they allowed her to readjust and reskate.

Johnny Weir very nearly gave up, citing an injury after running into a wall 2 years ago at nationals. I was not entirely convinced his injury was serious enough to make him give up.

Around 1995-1996 Kovarikova-Novotny ran into the lights around the rink during a pro competition.Neither was injured, but when they started struggling with the program (mostly because they got nervous/upset), they excused themselves and requested the judges to let them reskate the routine. This was totally against the rules but they were allowed to reskate the routine from start and they won.

I have seen Kurt Browning sort of give up on a pro program, but I don't think he actually stopped skating and went back to the dressing room. I think he just forgot the rest of the program and apologized to the audience.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have seen any skater just pack up in the middle of a program and leave the ice.

Vash

Kasey

Medalist
At the 2003 Nats, Weir's second fall certainly looked painful enough to incur injury, and it was at that point that he gave up, right? Not the hitting the wall one, but the "half doing the splits, ouch, my leg doesn't bend that way" one.

I remember the pro competition with Kurt...not which one it was. But yeah, he said he forgot the program, and just ended it early, taking his bows while the music was still going.

Kasey

Arsenette

On the Ice
nubka said:
My husband was actually watching the Ladies LP tonight (ususally of NO interest at all to him.) Anyway...he wants to know: other than because of an injury, has a skater EVER just given up and left the ice during a particulalry horrid, falling apart, splatfest performance?? I've never seen it happen.

It's sooooo hard to watch a skater struggle through fall after fall...it must take everything they have mentally (and physically) to just finish the performance so they can get off the ice.

What say you??

My strongest recommendation is to not watch the 1992 Olympics Ladies Long Program.. last skater of the night.. home country.. Hubert.. omg.. I cried watching her.. the bruises over her legs and the water marks all over was painful to watch. She just kept jumping and falling.. jumping.. and falling.. she painfully lasted the ENTIRE program.. mostly on the ice.. would bounce right back up just to fall again.. quite anticlimactic to an otherwise great night.. That's the night she was forever dubbed the human Zamboni... :cry:

Kasey

Medalist
Arsenette said:
My strongest recommendation is to not watch the 1992 Olympics Ladies Long Program.. last skater of the night.. home country.. Hubert.. omg.. I cried watching her.. the bruises over her legs and the water marks all over was painful to watch. She just kept jumping and falling.. jumping.. and falling.. she painfully lasted the ENTIRE program.. mostly on the ice.. would bounce right back up just to fall again.. quite anticlimactic to an otherwise great night.. That's the night she was forever dubbed the human Zamboni... :cry:

OMG, I remember that! What did she fall, five, six times? And I think once or twice wasn't even on jumps, she just fell. My mom and sister and I were watching, and yelling at the tv "Just stay down!!" :(

Kasey

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Hubert

What made that all especially painful was, IMO, she actually HAD a pretty good program; this was one of those cases where she looked good on the ground (she had a lot of interesting moves) and awful every single time she tried to jump. I saw enough stuff in between all those falls to indicate that had she landed those jumps, it would have been an excellent program.

As to the original topic:
It wouldn't surprise me that if somewhere in the history of Regionals or Sectionals, there may have been a few little boys or little girls here and there who may have stomped off about halfway through during a rough outing. But I think by the time one gets to Nationals or Worlds, one has had enough experience with bad performances to just push through it, put it out of their heads best as they can, and hope for better next time.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I was really bummed for Laetitia Hubert, because there should've been no pressure on her. She wasn't supposed to be in the top six, and yet there she was. Maybe if she hadn't skated LAST, she would've done better. But, oh, well.

The closest I've seen to a competitor just give up was an obscure Euro pair about seven years ago. She fell on a throw, and just sort of stopped skating, and stood there pouting. The Eurosport commentators (Simon & Chris, love them) started talking about how they'd never seen that before, and how unprofessional she was. Her partner was still skating around, and eventually she started back up, too. But she pouted the whole way through, and of course, standing around on the ice for 30 seconds never helped anyone.

At Skate Canada this year, Vakthang Murvandizde nearly gave up in the short; after a fall he just sort of skated around with his hands on his hips. Not sure if he was hurt, or just pouting, but he sold the rest of the program. I love the guy, just wish he didn't have to jump. :)

heyang

Record Breaker
There are many instances that everyone has already mentioned where skaters have stopped due to technical difficulties and then resumed after a quick repair.

I think Kurt's is the only incident where a skater stopped due to forgetting his program - at least that I've scene.

There are also the incidents with costumes. Meno's skate got stuck on some part of Todd's outfit. They skated with Todd holding Jenni against him and guesturing to Nicks about whether they should stop. I think they were able to unhook themselves, but it definitely disrupted their program.

Also, I think it was Ice dance - the buy's sleeve was caught on her and you could see the sleeve stretched out between them.

Johar

Medalist
I've seen a pairs skaters or two have to quit due to an injury incurred during their program. Most recently it was that one pairs team that they have shown over and over.

Rory got a bad charlie horse and had to quit skating until it subsided.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Heyang:

at least that I've scene.

"Scene?" Don't you mean SEEN - as in seeing? Scene would imply a scene from a movie for example.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl said:
My hubby is not interested in figure skating either. But he did take a second look at that extreme wedgie Rena was showing off during pairs. Maybe there is hope to get him more interested. :)DG
Doggygirl, would you go to any lengths to get your husband to watch skating with you???? :laugh: :laugh:

We should have a wedgie contest. I nominate Jamie Sale. I can't wait to see the day when the woman have thongs for their panties (costume wise that it). Maybe your husband will become a big fan then. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well...

Dee4707 said:
Doggygirl, would you go to any lengths to get your husband to watch skating with you???? :laugh: :laugh:

We should have a wedgie contest. I nominate Jamie Sale. I can't wait to see the day when the woman have thongs for their panties (costume wise that it). Maybe your husband will become a big fan then. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee
I don't have to go to any lengths - there are usually enough costume malfunctions to get the job done without much help from me. I can leave my spike heels in the closet thank you very much!!

I can see it now at the next big event. An entire cheering section, all men, ready with armloads of gold medals to throw on the ice, yelling SHOW ME YOUR THONG!!!!

That would be an interesting way to get attendance up by reaching a new segment of the population.

DG

Doggygirl said:
I can see it now at the next big event. An entire cheering section, all men, ready with armloads of gold medals to throw on the ice, yelling...
Rene, Rene, up the ante!
Come on, Rene, show some panty!

miffy

Rinkside
PrincessLeppard said:
The closest I've seen to a competitor just give up was an obscure Euro pair about seven years ago. She fell on a throw, and just sort of stopped skating, and stood there pouting. The Eurosport commentators (Simon & Chris, love them) started talking about how they'd never seen that before, and how unprofessional she was. Her partner was still skating around, and eventually she started back up, too. But she pouted the whole way through, and of course, standing around on the ice for 30 seconds never helped anyone.
Lol, i wish i'd seen that. I've never seen anyone give up either, but at Worlds last year during a pairs team in the first group's LP, the girl messed up the side by side spin and just stood there for what seemed like ages, watching her partner until he finished it. Chris and Simon weren't overly impressed with that either. ;)