Something Happy....my Cincy SOI Review! LOL =) | Golden Skate

Something Happy....my Cincy SOI Review! LOL =)

K

KwanFan1212

Something Happy....my Cincy SOI Review! LOL =)

Here is my REALLY long review of the Cincy SOI show that was last night. It is a little Jamie & Dave biased but that shouldn't surprise anyone here anymore....LOL :cool: Anyway, you can check it out at this link: heatherc.easyjournal.com

Enjoy!! :lol:

A

alison88

Re: Something Happy....my Cincy SOI Review! LOL =)

THANKS!
I loved your review, so generous! Such a treat!

Alison.

M

mathman444

Thanks for the great review.

(I'll read the second half of it once I catch my second wind,:lol: )

Mathman

B

Bleuchick

Heather - I thought you only bought 1 SOI ticket but two?;) .
So far, I have one but I am seriously thinking of getting a secnd one. It is nice to know you had fun.

You go girl. :D

K

KwanFan1212

LOL @ mathman....I warned ya it was long! I used my second, third, and fourth winds to write it......LOL :lol:

Glad you guys enjoyed my review! So far I have only bought the ticket to Cincy but am going up to the Columbus show tomorrow afternoon and I will post a review of that show sometime tomorrow night or Monday. Happy Worlds week too everyone! :cool:

R

rgirl181

Great review, Heather. I'm so glad to see somebody else who enjoys writing a full and detailed review. I used to--and still do--get teased no end about my "Rgirl-length" commentaries and reviews. But I think you and I know they are just complete:D

I saw SOI two weeks ago in NYC and thought it was another great SOI production. BTW, Madison Square Garden was quite full, with all but the highest nosebleed seats sold out. Of cours in NY there are a lot of show/theater groups, which helps. Plus Scott performed, which I'm sure was a last minute draw. Whatever the reason, I was glad to see it.

Anyway, I loved "Power Play (Sing Sing Sing)" with Jamie & David, Elena & Anton, and Todd. I thought the way the two pairs were used contrasting with Todd and his creative narration from "Fosse" was superbly conceived and executed. I'd seen it on the TV broadcast and liked it, but live it was fantastic. I thought it was a wonderfully creative use of pairs and singles skating. And I almost wouldn't have recognized that they were using that old skating warhorse "Sing Sing Sing." My favorite piece.

They had done a show the night before, so no 3/3s from Yags and Todd missed one of his 3Axels (hit two out of three). Man, SOI skaters work hard for their money. I'd say they do the equivalent of a competitive short and long program every performance, just spread out over the two hours, plus doing five and six shows without a break. They do very physically demanding moves and it shows. Did you notice (I'm sure you did;) ) how pumped David, Anton, and John Z. are in their upper bodies? They look more muscular now than they did at the Olympics. And boy, did Jamie and David ever have great chemistry for the "Huggin' Touchin' Squeezin'" number. Woo! Hot! They have a wonderful rapport with the audience. I liked them okey as eligibles, but they didn't really do it for me. But as pros, I think they're really in their element. Great technical skills and great personalitiees. Very impressive.

I loved Elena and Anton too, and I agree that the Elvis/Marilyn program works much better live than it does on TV. My only wish is that Elena & Anton would have done a more lyrical number or something like "The Kid" that would have introduced them to SOI audiences showing them performing in a style that is more natural to them.

I went with someone who isn't familiar with figure skating except from the Olympics. She's from the Dominican Republic and has only been in the US for about 15 years. She was so impressed with Alexei's "Over Come"--as was I. I mention her background only because I think it demonstrates how great skating transcends familiarity, culture, everything. Communication of the human spirit is what matters. Yags had the entire arena absolutely transfixed. I think this piece really means a lot to him, that it's really his story. He performed this piece on a whole other level.

I won't add my review:lol: but one thing in yours made me laugh: Annoying audience members. We had this group of four behind us that was the stereotypical loud, heavy Lawn Guyland accented, obnoxious New Yorkers. It was a mother who seemed about 60, her grown daughter, and two cousins. The mother and daughter were separated by the cousins so in order to talk to each other, they had to talk across the cousins in their two seats. All night it was, "IS THAT TAAHHDDD???!!!"
"NO, MA!!! THAT'S JAMIE AND DAVID!!! OH MY GAWD, THEY'RE SO AWESOME!!!"
"WHO'S SO AWESOME?"
"MA!!! JAMIE AND DAVID!!!"
"OH. ARE WE GONNA GET ICE CREAM? I WANNA GET ICE CREAM SO WE GOT TO GET OUT OF OUR SEATS RIGHT AWAY SO WE CAN GET ICE CREAM!"
"MA-AH!!! WE'RE GONNA GET ICE CREAM!!!"
"YEAH BUT I DON'T WANNA WAIT ON LINE AND IF WE DON'T GO RIGHT AWAY WE'LL HAVE TO WAIT ON LINE!!!"

You get the idea. Fortunatey, they were just excited at first and calmed down for most of the show.

Thanks again for your review, Heather. I thought it was the perfect length:)
Rgirl

B

Bleuchick

I read another funny one on S&P site. Kurt walked into a store and gave this woman a ticket. She went to the show in Rochester and was overheard saying at the end of the STUDZ number:

OMG, HOW MANY HAIL MARYS AM I GOING TO SAY. LOL

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Rgirl - I love Power Play too. The music is one of my favourite and I am really digging Todd E in the pro than I ever did in the amatuers. Plus, I get to see some very cool pairs elements. Yes, I notice that the pair guys are all pumped up. They sure are selling the "male factor" to the gals in the audience. ;)

K

KwanFan1212

Rgirl-Oh yeah, I have noticed how pumped the pairs guys are.....believe me, I have noticed! LOL :rollin: Glad you enjoyed the show too. One thing I came to the conclusion about though tonight is that you almost *have* to see this show more than once and from different sections in the arena. There is just too much to see in one night! I just got back a while ago from the Columbus show so that is the thought I had tonight after being in a different section today. Or maybe I am just talking myself into seeing the show even more times next year! LOL :lol: I all ready mailed my order form for next year's show too at least for Cincy and after tonight, I may be doing that for Columbus too! I think I have an addiction now......better skating than something else though I guess! LOL :rollin:

BTW-I am kinda glad I am not Catholic because there aren't enough Hail Marys for me to say to make up how ornery I have been at these two SOI shows this week! LOL :lol:

Off to post my Columbus review! :cool: