Sasha Cohen - A Bridesmaid Again | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen - A Bridesmaid Again

gezando

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Before, during and after the US Nationals all one heard was should Michelle Kwan win her ninth title she would tie with Mirabel Vincent Owen. I would imagine Sasha heard this all week as well. Seriously, though in all fairness to Sasha, I think she just felt all the attention was on Kwan. One could see the disappointment in her face.

Well if all the press talked about was the 9th title, I wonder who had the pressure, certainly pressure was not on Cohen. Pre jr world 00, all the press talked about was how Cohen would breeze through and won the gold, and she splat her way through the sp, went into lp in the second flght, and finished 6th.

She should be on top of the podium one day

She already made the top of the podium several times. I predict she will win gold everytime she steps on the ice from now on.

BTW, her autobio will be out in 4/05. The back cover of her autobio stated:

"Today she is the reigning queen of winter's most competitive sport and the most serious contender for the gold medal in 2006"

Granted that is her autobio, and she endorsed this view by putting the above statement in her official website, but if the press in general were not supportive of her, team Cohen would not endorse such a view. So the Cohen fans' whining about how cruel the press were, how she is the whipping boy du jour is way IMHO exxagerated, and out of touch with reality

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
gezando said:
She already made the top of the podium several times. I predict she will win gold everytime she steps on the ice from now on.

BTW, her autobio will be out in 4/05. The back cover of her autobio stated:

"Today she is the reigning queen of winter's most competitive sport and the most serious contender for the gold medal in 2006"

Wow, that takes chutzpah. What is she the "reigning queen" of? Certainly not the US---Kwan is the Kween. Certainly not of the World--she's never been World Champion. She isn't even the reigning GP Champion--that's Irina. Irina is also the reigning Marshall's queen. And I would hardly consider her as the most serious contender for the gold medal in 2006. She is one of many contenders, and there are other contenders who can manage to hold it together through an entire competition much better than Sasha can.

This is Olympic hype, no more, no less. We've heard it all before, back in 2002.

brad640

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Sasha Cohen is reminding me more and more of Nancy Kerrigan before the 1994 knee bashing. Kerrigan was a beautiful skater and had powerful jumps, but like Cohen, she continually made at least one or two major mistakes at Nationals, Worlds, and the Olympics.

I agree that Sasha is a lot like Nancy in terms of her potential/inconsistency. Even if Sasha's career falls off from here, she has still enjoyed great success. There are many skaters who would love to claim that they were a world silver medalist. Karyn Cadavy has had a suuccessful pro career with winning a world bronze medal. Sasha is still the best in the world at spins and spirals and future skaters will be compared to her for years to come in terms of positions and presentation. Regardless of how she performs at worlds and olympics, she will always be well remembered for her contributions and not for media stories and coaching changes.

I don't think we should blame Sasha overly much for an advertising blurb written by a publisher's agent to hype a ghost-written "autobiography." They do that all the time: "Buy this book! It's great!" Hey, I bought the book. It wasn't great. That's false advertising, I want my money back, LOL.

Sasha is the queen of many things. She's the queen of balletic extension, the queen of beautiful posture, the queen of exquisite line, the queen of the breathtaking spiral, the queen of the beaver cleaver, the queen of the hearts of figure skating fans around the world, and the queen of the prom!

Mathman

lavender

Record Breaker
the queen of the hearts of figure skating fans around the world

She's not exactly the queen of the hearts of figure skating fans. This title still belongs to Kwan.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I think Sasha should just forget about amateur competition and the Olympic gold and instead give ones talent to Stars On Ice-they are in need of a female skater.

Joesitz said:
But even Blanche said she had to rely on the kindness of strangers.
And look where it got her -- carted away to the insane asylum! :cry:

Piel, oh my goodness, what beautiful pictures of the real Queen of Hearts! :love:

Mathman

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:
I don't think we should blame Sasha overly much for an advertising blurb written by a publisher's agent to hype a ghost-written "autobiography." They do that all the time: "Buy this book! It's great!" Hey, I bought the book. It wasn't great. That's false advertising, I want my money back, LOL.

No one is blaming her. It does not matter who wrote the blurb, and I don't think they will do anything w/o her approval. It is post on her official website, therefore she endorses it. It is a free country, free speech, so IMO she can say whatever to promote herself (minus dissing e.g. Fumie's world bronze 03). Team Cohen is not stupid, they know they have enough support from the press and fans to pull this blurb off, therefore IMHO negates the claim that some Cohen fans made that the press is harsh on her or she is the whipping boy du jour.

Further thoughts on publishers, MM, I assume you have published, do you let your publisher wrote whatever they wanted? You have no input?? If you perceive Cohen is being "blamed" (which I don't think people were bloaming her, maybe disagree with her) at least defend her by saying so what she is confident and believes in herself. Telling us that the blurb is just written by publisher as if Cohen has no say in it, gives me the impression that she is being controlled, and she has no independent decision / thinking

queen of the prom!

Mathman

Queen of prom, that brings back memories of how some Cohen fans wrote fan fiction about Cohen was the queen of prom, and head cheerleader, dating the quarter back of the team and poor Sarah Hughes could only be envious about Cohen the prom queen. Yuk, there was absolutely no need for the fans to gush over their favorite Sasha at the expense of Hughes. therefore I do not find the "prom queen" gush interesting

BTW, she was really the prom queen in her HS? I don't think so. That is a pix of her in a prom dress, she posed for that pix, it wasn't taken at her prom. The pix does not prove that she was a prom queen

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
lavender said:
She's not exactly the queen of this. This title still belongs to Kwan.

Cohen is not exactly the only queen of spiral either.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
gezando said:
Cohen is not exactly the only queen of spiral either.

I agree but I was trying not to go into it. As Dick says about Michelle...It's the spiral that gets cha.

Can't we save some of this nitpicking for the summer months? Kinda like Michelle has better 3 turns but Sasha has better brackets. :p

Joe

No, no, Joe, we've got to get it all straightened out before Worlds! :p

OK. Sasha's spiral delights our aesthetic sensibilities. Michelle's conquers our hearts.

Gezando, this is what I think about Sasha's book. These celebrity "as-told-to" auobiographies for the most part go like this. The real author interviews the subject a couple of times, gets a few quotes and some material from other sources, and writes the book. Once it is written the publishers take over and market it as best they can. The celebrity hardly knows she wrote a book at all ("Gee, writting a book is pretty easy!"), and she never gives it another thought except for autographing copies during public appearances and cashing her royalty checks. I think the book-buying public understands all that. But they might buy the book anyway, if they are fans of, or curious about, the subject.

To me, that's no harm, no foul.

As for me (since you asked, LOL), when I contribute an article to a journal I always insist that they include, in at least three-inch letters, the phrase: "By Mathman, King of geometric singularity theory and a shoo-in for the next Nobel prize."

Mathman ;)

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Gezando, this is what I think about Sasha's book. These celebrity "as-told-to" auobiographies for the most part go like this. The real author interviews the subject a couple of times, gets a few quotes and some material from other sources, and writes the book. Once it is written the publishers take over and market it as best they can. The celebrity hardly knows she wrote a book at all ("Gee, writting a book is pretty easy!"), and she never gives it another thought except for autographing copies during public appearances and cashing her royalty checks. I think the book-buying public understands all that. But they might buy the book anyway, if they are fans of, or curious about, the subject.

To me, that's no harm, no foul.

No one said there is any harm, any foul, maybe tempting skating gods, you imagined posters "blaming her' and then jumped the gun to defend Sasha, then made her looked like someone who is being controlled and has no independent thinking. Since she put that blurb in her official website, that means she endorses that statement, so it does not matter whether she wrote it or not. So in her case, she knows about that statement "Sasha is the reigning queen of skating, and the strongest contender of 06"

As for me (since you asked, LOL), when I contribute an article to a journal I always insist that they include, in at least three-inch letters, the phrase: "By Mathman, King of geometric singularity theory and a shoo-in for the next Nobel prize."

Mathman ;)

Since when is there a Nobel for math??? If you insist publisher to put in whatever you want to be printed, why are you so sure that Sasha did not insist the publisher to write that blurb??

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Can't we save some of this nitpicking for the summer months? Kinda like Michelle has better 3 turns but Sasha has better brackets. :p

Joe

When Mathman said Sasha is the queen of spirals, (not one of the queens) IMO discussion of MK, Bobek, or IS spirals is fair.

Last edited:

Panther2000

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Well, Sasha is the whipping boy du jour. But a gold medal at Moscow will do a lot toward making people think she is a nice girl after all.

I can see the headlines now:

Phil Hersh: "Brilliant skater overcomes adversity to win the World Championship, making her the favorite for the Olympic gold medal in Torino!"

Christine Brennan: "Cohen's incandescent yet charming personality translates into on-ice perfection!"

NY Times: "Cohen graciously credits her coaches past and present for her new-found consistency!"

LA Times: "Evil has-been Michelle Kwan cuts off Sasha during practice!"

MM :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now, that is a good one. Big props to you