What's In Store For Kimmie? | Golden Skate

What's In Store For Kimmie?

Given the triple axel which will become standard in future competitions, how will this lyrical talented skater progress in the future?

Will she maintain her lead over her peers?: Bebe, Katy, Emilie?

Can she continue to surpass Jenny in next year's competitions? (Her age will not be a declining factor for going to the Olys.)

At next year's Nats, can she overtake the two American divas?

Are all these questions too early to answer at this time?

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kimmie has the look of someone who hasn't grown either up or out as much as she might later. If she does either, her 3A may go west.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think this was a huge confidence booster for her...

I think that Sasha should worry about her 2nd place... because I'll bet Kimmie can get a bit of help with her presentation marks now that she's on teh map

OT: I really liked her Ex number :) Shows there's only great things to come!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I would say the future looks bright for her, but...she's only 15. What about that growth spurt/body change that occurs in many girls around 16/17? If she happens to grow again she'll have to fight through it, and she may lose that 3A. If she can stand the pressure she's my pick for the 3rd Olympic spot. :) If history repeats itself she could be the upstart this time around...

Fossi

Final Flight
:agree: :rock: Kimmie is AWESOME! I loved the 3axel and 3/2/2. Talk about a huge technical advancement for our US ladies. She is amazing and oh, so young. She's one to keep your eyes on!
Many think Kimmie should've had the silver medal. How great for her! She got some first place ordinals (until Michelle skated) and I think the judges LOVED her! So cute, so refreshing, so unrehearsed in her interview.
I really like her!

Kathy

On the Ice
She's in for the expectations and the pressure for sure. Kimmie looked like a really sweet innocent girl. She kept saying she had nothing to lose by going for the triple axel - and she was right. But from here on out she'll start having more and more to lose. The pressure will be on - will she or won't she do the triple axel. If she doesn't then there's Uncle Dickie's and the media disappointment. If she does, well its true she did several clean ones, but in practice she also under rotated several and fell on several. And now there's COP - and downgrading and worse yet falling. And while she's busy chasing Sasha and Michelle, Emily, Bebe, and Katie will be chasing her, and Emily and Bebe are right on her heels. In fact many have argued that Bebe skated better than Kimmie in spite of the 3 axel, and could have easily been placed over her, and I agree. And Emily was way undermarked, but not for long I think. And then there's little Mao Asada who's got the triple axel and has the presentation to boot. And then there's the body change that she will no doubt go through, and the Media pressure, and the Hype as "the annointed one." And I really hope she doesn't injure herself - she had to stop training it recently because it hurt her back. She's in for the Michelle/Sasha roller coaster ride regarding her career - I hope she has the mental toughness to survive.

mzheng

Record Breaker
The one she landed in LP was half turn cheated. But the other two ABC captured in her practice and warmup she did on side were much better ones.

I'd wait until she passed puberty to make judgement on her great jump ability. Hope the rotation of her 3A would grow with her body if the puberty monster hit her. Besides there was an article that she stopped trainning of 3A two monthes because of back pain...I'm not getting too excited right now.

However I give the prop for her guts to try it out.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I think that Kimmie has a way to go before she threatens Sasha's placing. The fact that Sasha beat her this time shows that Kimmie needs to get more polished. I don't think that the 3A should have been called so. It was cheated and she pulled off a beeter one in practice. However, if she is dong this well now, I see only good things for her in the future. Katy Taylor seemed to unravel under the pressure.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not see the 3A as being standard for women, not now and not in the future. Most of the skaters attempting 3As at this time are young, under 16. They are able to complete 3.5 rotations because their bodies are undeveloped. But when skaters start to mature, their hips develop and they don't have the upper body strength to raise the body high enough in the air to complete the rotations.

There have been very few ladies doing the 3A into their late teens and 20's. Midori was still able to pull it off, but once Tanya Harding put on a few extra pounds, she was never able to land it again.

Perry

Rinkside
I think she's actually grown a bit already. The summer before she won novice, I was training in Delaware and none of us could figure out who the little girl was doing clean triple lutzes until our coach made some remark. She was 11 or 12 at the time, but she was really short (probably about 4'6" if that).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If the triple axel was cheated, it should not have been accepted as a triple axel. Besides, I think that the hype around it is not good for the future of a young skater.

I saw Kimmie in Junior GP final, and I thought that her skating definetely does not deserve such high presentation scores she appears to have gotten in US Nationals. Her time for them has not arrived yet, in my opinion. We will also see how she fares in jumping after a couple of years.

mzheng said:
The one she landed in LP was half turn cheated. But the other two ABC captured in her practice and warmup she did on side were much better ones.I'd wait until she passed puberty to make judgement on her great jump ability. Hope the rotation of her 3A would grow with her body if the puberty monster hit her. Besides there was an article that she stopped trainning of 3A two monthes because of back pain...I'm not getting too excited right now.
However I give the prop for her guts to try it out.
She did it right in front of me. I saw it as less than the 1/4 curve which is acceptable under the rules for landing jumps. What she didn't do well was the flow out of the jump. Given the CoP points, I would give her a minus 1 for not having the flow out. But imo she definitely fulfilled the requirement of the take off and the air rotations.

I think the posters pointing out the body changes which will take place within the next year are quite valid. That has always been the downfall of many jumpin beans. Tara and Sasha did not have that problem, but others did notably MK and IS. We'll be watching Kimmie, Bebe and Katy in Juniors next season and hopefully, ESPN will consider this for public showing.

Joe

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I think the posters pointing out the body changes which will take place within the next year are quite valid. That has always been the downfall of many jumpin beans.

After watching a curvy and hefty Sarah struggle to get off the ground to land a couple of 2 toes at SOI this week, I realize how incredibly true that statement is.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Yes, I have watched Kimmie's 3a on slow mo and it wasn't complete..Under COP scoring it will be counted as a 2a.. I do love her though! Although, her presentation/artistry needs to mature to pass Sasha.. I really see her making the Oly team next yr.. Also, after Michelle retires I see her in 2007 as one of the top five ladies in the World..IMHO

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
She did it right in front of me. I saw it as less than the 1/4 curve which is acceptable under the rules for landing jumps. What she didn't do well was the flow out of the jump. Given the CoP points, I would give her a minus 1 for not having the flow out. But imo she definitely fulfilled the requirement of the take off and the air rotations.

Joe

I watche it from ABC slomo. It definitely more than 1/4 cheated.

gezando

Final Flight
Sky is the limit for her. She will make the world and olys team. I look forward to a Kimmie vs Mao show down at jr worlds

Jhar55

Medalist
I am one of those who couldn't tell you one jump from another or if there were enough truns, but for me that's fine I just love watching skating. Kimmie to me still looks to still have that little girl body and once she does grow into a more mature body will she be able to do the triple axel? I don't think so, sure the guys do but then they are built different. I don't see her as a threat to Sasha she has a more refine look to hers spins and flexabality. The only threat to Sasha is Sasha herself. If Jenny had skated clean I think she would have places 3rd. Notice the picture of the winners you can hardly see Kimmie.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men have strong upper bodies and the heaviest part of the body is above the waist. They are launching the heaviest part of their bodies using their upper body strength, so that once they're high in the air, it's no biggie to turn around 3.5 times. Women's weight is more evenly balanced, but much of it is below the waist. Women don't have the upper body strength so they are basically pulling the body upward using the muscles in their torso. The more the body weighs, the tougher that is to do.

S

SkateFan4Life

I think that Kimmie Meissner is going to become the next US champion after Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen leave the eligible ranks. She has excellent technique, very tight, fast rotations, and gorgeous, extended landings. She also has a very nice sense of artistry and skates with calm assurance. She has lovely edges and a nice "ice personality".

Her triple axel was fantastic! Yes, there was a turnaround in the landing, but she landed the jump. This girl is a strong competitor, and she seems unnerved by the pressures of competition. She acted as though the whole competition was a fun experience.

Sure, the pressure will start to mount as expectations for her placements rise with each year. The press and media may decide to "crown" her as the next American ice princess. I hope she will continue to progress and skate for the pure joy of it.

IMHO, Sasha Cohen has to watch over her shoulder very carefully, as the silver medal at the 2006 Nationals may be won by Meissner. Kimmie will be old enough to qualify to skate at the Olympics and the 2006 Worlds, and she may very well win silver or bronze next year and make both teams.

shine

Record Breaker
I'd love to see a Meissner vs. Liang rivalry in the future. It will be so exciting! :love: