What's in store for BEATRISA LIANG? | Golden Skate

What's in store for BEATRISA LIANG?

shine

Record Breaker
Well, I hope she kicks some serious butts at Jr. Worlds and show them how it's done!!! She'll be the lady in a field of girls and I think it will be obvious! What two gorgeous programs, and has she matured!! :love:

Yeah! I love Bebe. She was one of my early predictions for making a name for herself. However, I think she got a bit too tubby lately. I would like her to lose a few pounds. Her skates at Nats were wonderful though, and maybe the insonsistency days are over. I hope so.

Isn't she too old for Juniors?

Joe

shine

Record Breaker
Well, even though this is already her 5th Nationals, but remember she's only 16! I think the age limit for singles is 19? And if you go to the USFSA site, you'll see that her, Emily Hughes, and Kimberly Meissner (I don't think I've liked a team this much ever) have been named to the Jr. World team.

Last edited:
shine said:
Well, even though this is already her 5th Nationals, but remember she's only 16! I think the age limit for singles is 19? And if you go to the USFSA site, you'll see that her, Emily Hughes, and Kimberly Meissner (I don't think I've liked a team this much ever) have been named to the Jr. World team.
Bebe, Kimberly, and Emilie and of course, all those Japanese Ladies. Are there any other real contestants besides these two nationalities?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought she had a good Nats this year. Before, I couldn't see what all the hoopla was about on her, but now I do. However, I don't think she'll really get up there in terms of ranking. She'll just be someone cool to watch in the meantime while we wait for the favorites :laugh:

But of course I could be proven wrong. But that hasn't happened yet :laugh:

ks777

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Bebe, Kimberly, and Emilie and of course, all those Japanese Ladies. Are there any other real contestants besides these two nationalities?

Joe

there is one other girl named Yuna Kim from Korea. I think Yuna and Mao are very tough to beat. Kimmie hasn't beaten these two yet.

Vash01

Medalist
I loved Bebe's skate at nationals. However, if her past injury is keeping her from doing the loop jump, it will be next to impossible for her to move up in the rankings.

ritymeez

Rinkside
I'm also with the crowd who loved her performance at Nats. My only problem is that she smiles more. She looks cute whenever she smiles but it seems as if she holds it back because she has braces. Smile more.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It is the first time I have seen Liang´s skating, and I really enjoyed the way she interpreted the music and her versatile skating style in that one freeskate programme. She is a huge talent, and WHAT a great choreography... It was by Kawahara, I understood?

Yes, I agree that she could look better in a little bit slimmer condition. On the other hand if this is how she herself feels great, that should decide.

Red Dog said:
I thought she had a good Nats this year. Before, I couldn't see what all the hoopla was about on her, but now I do. However, I don't think she'll really get up there in terms of ranking. She'll just be someone cool to watch in the meantime while we wait for the favorites :laugh: But of course I could be proven wrong. But that hasn't happened yet :laugh:
What exactly are your rankings? You may fall into the category of podium ranked skaters only. Some consider the top 10 finishes for ranking and others, like me, think about the last 6 to skate with the six just before the last as being the one's to watch in future. Bebe is capable of fitting in my kind of ranking.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Yeah! I love Bebe. She was one of my early predictions for making a name for herself. However, I think she got a bit too tubby lately. I would like her to lose a few pounds.

Mr. RG and I were discussing this very issue on Sat. night. I don't think it's that she's "tubby" but just has grown into that stockier, solid body type--like Midori Ito.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Liang's new physique reminded me of Onda's.

I watched the telecasts, including the Ladies right after I got back from the arena and dinner, and I think that the camera work made all of the top women look faster and more energetic than they were live, with the exception of Liang, who rocked in both the SP and LP. Her energy was palpable. Kirk's SL footwork in the LP nearly died out several times; she looked like she was moving very well on television. Loop or no loop -- under CoP it wouldn't matter -- I would have had Liang over Kirk, and she'd be the one going to Sr. Worlds.

shine

Record Breaker
AGREED. If the USFS were smart, they'd be sending Liang to Worlds instead of Kirk who seems to know how to do proper make up more than proper skating. That Beatles program was so bad and I have seen no improvement from her in the past few years. OTOH Beatrisa really turned me into a huge fan at these Nationals and she's so much more mature than she was the last time we saw her. Those are really two of the best programs I've seen this year. Is there any chance that the USFS will send Liang and Kirk to 4CC for a skate off?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think BeBe is tubby. She is very short and stocky, and is probably all muscle. She has the type of body that will never be slim and svelte like most skaters, and that means you won't see the graceful lines of a Kwan or Cohen or Kirk, but you will see the powerful jumps that the tinier skaters can't deliver.

Emily Hughes is also rather stocky, but she is much taller than BeBe (5'5" to BeBe's 4'11"). Both are powerful skaters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What exactly are your rankings? You may fall into the category of podium ranked skaters only. Some consider the top 10 finishes for ranking and others, like me, think about the last 6 to skate with the six just before the last as being the one's to watch in future. Bebe is capable of fitting in my kind of ranking.

Joe

I meant top three to top six in the world. Sorry...

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Emily Hughes is also rather stocky, but she is much taller than BeBe (5'5" to BeBe's 4'11"). Both are powerful skaters.
Emily Hughes in person is bigger than your average skater, but she looked disproportionally big on television, as if somehow she got Kimmie Meissner's extra 10, too.

I'm with ChuckM. That's Bebe's body type, so be it. If the ISU judges don't like it, she can join SOI TODAY, for my money. She gave by far the most enjoyable and entertaining performance of the night.

Mathman