What's in store for BEATRISA LIANG? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's in store for BEATRISA LIANG?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bebe rocks. Best ladies LP IMHO. I like her bod. It suits her style or vice versa.
Looks as though SHE could land a 3 axel. She really seems to love skating and is intent on winning. Holds nothing back. I can see her on a Worlds podium in a few years. She's got the skill, talent, joy of skating and gumption.

I'm so glad posters are noticing what I saw in BeBe several years ago. :agree: Now at least I just won't be the only one praising her. As for that 3A, I believe she will get one. If she does, so will Katy and Emilie and bye bye the recent podium three. :p

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
Recent skaters who've been successful with 3As in the past few years have been young and for the most part, skinny (Meissner, Nelidina, Nakano, Asada). Nelidina has retired from figure skating and Nakano hasn't progressed and to my knowledge hasn't successfully landed a 3A in quite a while. Meissner and Asada are both very small and very slim--and quite young, which is to say undeveloped.

I doubt very much that Liang or Hughes will be adding a 3A to their jump repertoire. They are both stockily built ladies and though powerful, in both cases they carry the greatest part of their weight from the waist down because they are both well past pre-pubescence--BeBe will be 17 in March, and Emily is almost 16. Trying to do a 3A now would be extremely difficult for both. BeBe has had back problems and I don't think she's going to tempt fate by practicing a jump that can make her problems worse.

Katy seems to be going through an awkward stage right now. She is not as tiny and undeveloped as she was last year, and she is probably going to struggle with her jumps for awhile. I think she will eventually regain her form, but I think she's past the stage where a 3A would come easily to her, too. Danielle Kahle was toying with 3/3s and 3As last season, but the puberty monster has ambushed her, too. I'd just like to see these girls get their jumps back and refine their moves instead of going for the big score with exotic jumps that become increasingly difficult to do as they mature.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
There was a Korean teenager training at Mariposa when I was there this summer. And she was landed all of her triples and was one of the best skaters on the "elite session". I never found out her name, but I saw Yu-Na Kim when the Junior Grand Prix Final was broadcasted and her jumping style seemed very familiar and it did seem like the same person. Plus they said that her program was choreographed by Jeff Buttle and Jadene Fullen(who actually choreographed my long :) --> coincedence) who live/train in Barrie so it all made sense. When she was in Barrie I never saw a smile on her face. I think it was one of those things where you are just really good at something but you don't really like it in your heart. She seemed lifeless. She was landing all these jumps that lots of other skaters on the ice couldn't, but the rest of them looked like they were just having so much more fun with their skating. I felt and after reading the article feel even more sorry for her. Hopefully she will get a good break, and then maybe she will realize that she does really love skating and she could blossom into an amzing skater.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
Yeah! I love Bebe. She was one of my early predictions for making a name for herself. However, I think she got a bit too tubby lately. I would like her to lose a few pounds. Her skates at Nats were wonderful though, and maybe the insonsistency days are over. I hope so.

Isn't she too old for Juniors?

Joe

Bebe is only 16, so she still qualifies for Worlds. I hope she skates away with the gold medal. As you write, Joe, she has gained a few pounds, and I would like to see her shed some of that weight, but perhaps that weight has enabled her to gain the power she now has when she strokes across the ice. I really enjoyed her programs! đź‘Ť She seems to be a delightful young woman who has great personality when she skates. I hope she makes it to the podium at future US Nationals, although she may have to wait until after the 2006 season to do that She's young enough, however, so that she could be around for quite a few more years as an eligible skater.

Thanks, Thisthingcalledlove and Doubleaxelcm, for the information about Yu-na Kim. I would have supposed that maybe she was just homesick in Barrie. But the article from China paints an equally unhappy picture.

I, too, hope for the best for her.

Mathman

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
doubleaxelcm said:
There was a Korean teenager training at Mariposa when I was there this summer. And she was landed all of her triples and was one of the best skaters on the "elite session". I never found out her name, but I saw Yu-Na Kim when the Junior Grand Prix Final was broadcasted and her jumping style seemed very familiar and it did seem like the same person. Plus they said that her program was choreographed by Jeff Buttle and Jadene Fullen(who actually choreographed my long :) --> coincedence) who live/train in Barrie so it all made sense. When she was in Barrie I never saw a smile on her face. I think it was one of those things where you are just really good at something but you don't really like it in your heart. She seemed lifeless. She was landing all these jumps that lots of other skaters on the ice couldn't, but the rest of them looked like they were just having so much more fun with their skating. I felt and after reading the article feel even more sorry for her. Hopefully she will get a good break, and then maybe she will realize that she does really love skating and she could blossom into an amzing skater.

I, too, hope Kim Yeon-A will learn to love skating, or realize that deep down she does love it.

It reminds me of that scene in Centre Stage, when the best dancer tells her mom, "I just have the feet, mom. Not the heart."

Eeyora

Final Flight
I think Bebe's great. She was the only skater who actually benefited from the Skycam. She looked like she was soaring. I too hope she progresses and has a great future.

jesslily

Final Flight
I agree with that BeBe looked the bestt under the skycam. The truth is her total skating ability is the best among the top 6 ladies. If her customes are prettier and hide her weaknesses, her marks would be a lot higher.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Go BeBe!

Bebe rocked! She was a whirling dynamo of energy flying across the ice. I love the fact she isn't a typical pretty pretty ice princess. She has developed her own style and it works for her. Kawahara's choreography is a wonderful fit for Bebe. I hope her health holds up and we see more from this girl in the future! Clearly she has the potential to get on the podium.

Bebe, Emily and Kimmie at Junior Worlds! What an awesome team! In many counties, these ladies could be senior National Champions!

Last edited:

alain707

Rinkside
shine said:
What's in store for BEATRISA LIANG?

Better marks I hope for her next competition if she skates as well, with as much originality, enthousiasm and difficult moves !!!

diamondqueen

On the Ice
What's in store for Beatrisa Liang?

I think a lot of wonderful things are in store for BeBe. She has all the elements to be a future champion. I wish her best of luck in the Jr. Worlds.

diamond :rofl:

Matt

On the Ice
A definite future of success, IMHO....Bebe's two programmes were FANTASTIC (Kawahara's fiendishly difficult choreography has never looked better on a skater) and it's nice to see her skating on such a consistent level. I don't agree that she is "tubby". She's just solidly built, very much Ă  la Slutskaya (with Sasha's flexibility :love: ). I think, however, if she is going to make a move in the next few years as far as 2006 is concerned, she needs to stay consistent and be even MORE sound with her artistry. With jumping phenoms like Meissner who are guaranteed high technical marks with a 3axel and 3-jump combos, it's the only way we're going to see her in Torino (save suddenly learning the 3axel, which is rash IMHO)

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
euterpe said:
Recent skaters who've been successful with 3As in the past few years have been young and for the most part, skinny (Meissner, Nelidina, Nakano, Asada). Nelidina has retired from figure skating and Nakano hasn't progressed and to my knowledge hasn't successfully landed a 3A in quite a while. Meissner and Asada are both very small and very slim--and quite young, which is to say undeveloped.

Keyword being recent. Tonya Harding was built pretty solid and landed nice 3A. Midori Ito wasn't a stick either. I would say Beatrisa has a pretty good shot at it, though I was surprised that she wasn't doing a 3-3 at nationals. She will probably work on that before a 3A.

I agree with many, that Beatrisa was the best LP of the evening, despite the fall. Before, I sometimes got the feeling that even though she did very difficult elements, it was always about being precocious; a 'look what I can do' or 'I can do that move too' feel to the program. This time it all seemed to work together in a cohesive program. Very satisfying to watch, and apparently to skate, too, judging from her smiles. :love:

If the Americans get another Ladies Oly it could be another surprise. Think Bebe or Kimmie whichever gets the chance to skate the Olys. Not unusual, is it?

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't understand why the judges just didn't give the nod to Bebe over Jenny for the World team. Jenny is so lackluster so why not give Bebe a chance at Worlds so she can set herself up for the Olympics? I think that with COP, anyone has a shot at the gold medal. Though I really think Miki Ando will take it all in 2006.

Vash01

Medalist
The judges have been harsh judging Miki this season. I don't think they will give it to her next year.

Eliza

Rinkside
I've really liked Bebe since I first saw her in 2002 Nats & was disappointed when she didn't do as well in '03 & '04. I was so glad to see her in the top six again this year.

I also wish she could go to Worlds instead of JK. She was so much more enjoyable to watch than Kirk. JK's Beatles music is so boring. I love the Beatles, but instrumental versions of their music are just so bland & boring. Not good skating music.

Bebe's opening moves in her SP were my favorite opening moves of the competition.

Eliza

soogar

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
The judges have been harsh judging Miki this season. I don't think they will give it to her next year.

It's a blessing for Miki that the judges are being harsh. She's making the necessary improvements and I saw some real fire in her in the GP final. She was quoted as saying that "she doesn't care what the judges think, she's going to have fun out there." I can see that devil may care attitude in her skating and she looks great out there. I think that without the pressure that Shizuka is facing, Miki will improve and she will take it all in 2006. Plus Miki has the jumps and a womanly body.