Hersch article re:Ladies at Nats... | Golden Skate

Hersch article re:Ladies at Nats...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Just out of curiosity -- has any woman ever won an Oly medal (any color) without first medalling at Worlds (any color)? has any woman ever won an OGM without first winning a World medal (any color)?

euterpe

Medalist
Every single Ladies OGM winner has stood on the World podium before winning the OGM. Every single one. Not every one was a World Champion before winning Olympic gold, but they'd all won a World medal.

That is the one thing that will hurt Kimmie---she can't compete at Worlds until 2006.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not only was Baiul World Champion before she won the OGM in '94, she was also a two-time Europeans silver medalist. Lipinski had gone to Worlds at 13 in 1996 (she finished 13th) before winning 1997 Worlds. She was also a 2-time GPF champion (1996-1997 and 1997-1998). Hughes won World bronze in 2001 and was the GPF bronze medal winner in the 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 GP series.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
So the assumption is, I guess, that if you don't have a World's medal going into the Olympics, you're just skating for placement? That must be disheartening. Will the judges automatically down-grade your scores even if you are brilliant? (I guess if you're brilliant, you would have won a World medal by now!!!) (This is what my mind does when I have the day off)...........42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Kimmie is only 15...

So I suspect she would be thrilled to make the Olymic team if she does, and be thrilled just to be there. I doubt given where she is competitively she would be disheartened by anything.

We all need to keep in mind that the age limitations put in place are pretty recent. So many of the real youngsters that have medaled at World's and then Oly's by the time they are Kimmie's age couldn't do that any more.

If Kimmie DOES make the Oly team in 2006, and then IS disappointed if she doesn't medal, I will be disappointed in her attitude. But somehow I seriously doubt she is or will be thinking that way. Even Tara with lot's more Sr. International competitions under her belt seemed way more interested in just experiencing the Olympics than worried about medals. When she surprised us all, I think she surprised herself too. Not that she didn't know she had some goods, but I don't think she expected that result. Same way with Sarah.

DG

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
icy_fresh said:
I don't think Liz Manley had won a World Medal before her silver at the '88 Games.

Maybe that's why she didn't win gold.

The Ladies statistic applies to OLYMPIC GOLD medal winners, not to Olympic medal winners. Kimmie has a shot at a medal, but it's not likely to be gold.

I'd say the OGM winner in 2006 will have stood on the World podium at some point before 2006. Candidates: Kwan, Slutskaya, Sokolova, Suguri, Arakawa, Cohen and the Worlds 2005 medalwinners, whoever they may be, and possibly (if she returns to eligible skating) Sarah Hughes.

Last edited:
"While Kwan tries to win a sixth world title two months from now in Moscow, where Russia's Irina Slutskaya will be favored, Meissner must content herself with the world junior championships two weeks earlier in Canada because she turned 15 after July 1 of last year."
And there she will be able to test herself against 14-year-old Mao Asada, who also has a triple Axel, but is not eligible for 2006 Worlds or the Olympics. First things first, Kimmie.

Today's Detroit Free Press also ran an article today saying that Kimmie deserved 6.0s for tech. Since the judges were giving them out like candy, why not? Free Press Olympic Sports reporter also said that Meissner was now Michelle's greatest rival.

Poor Sasha. A couple of less-than-perfect performances and all of a sudden she's history :rolleye:

First things first.

Mathman

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Mathman...

Mathman said:
And there she will be able to test herself against 14-year-old Mao Asada, who also has a triple Axel, but is not eligible for 2006 Worlds or the Olympics. First things first, Kimmie.

Today's Detroit Free Press also ran an article today saying that Kimmie deserved 6.0s for tech. Since the judges were giving them out like candy, why not? Free Press Olympic Sports reporter also said that Meissner was now Michelle's greatest rival.

Poor Sasha. A couple of less-than-perfect performances and all of a sudden she's history :rolleye:

First things first.

Mathman
Honestly, all of this stuff is why I want to smoke whatever these reporters are smoking. I really enjoyed watching Kimmie's skate, and was thrilled that she went after that 3 Axel, whether or not it was fully rotated. She's definitely a bright spot on the horizon. But according to Hersch anyway, Sasha and possibly Michelle WuzRobbed??????

ITA - first things first.

DG

Attyfan's first question was about Olympic medals of any color. I think Icy Fresh is right. Liz Manley was 13th at Worlds in 1982, then from 1984 to 1987 she was 8th, 9th, 5th and 4th. (Second in 1988, after the Olympics).

I agree with ChuckM. If she had gone to Calgary with a stronger reputation the judges probably would have scored her figures higher and she would have won gold.

MM

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha fans were complaining last week that Hersh had raked her over the coals. We all said Kwan would likely be next if she didn't knock his socks off, and here it is---Kwan is toast!

chuckm said:
Sasha fans were complaining last week that Hersh had raked her over the coals. We all said Kwan would likely be next if she didn't knock his socks off, and here it is---Kwan is toast!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I guess she needs to take him to another basketball game!

MM

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
So I suspect she would be thrilled to make the Olymic team if she does, and be thrilled just to be there. I doubt given where she is competitively she would be disheartened by anything.

We all need to keep in mind that the age limitations put in place are pretty recent. So many of the real youngsters that have medaled at World's and then Oly's by the time they are Kimmie's age couldn't do that any more.

If Kimmie DOES make the Oly team in 2006, and then IS disappointed if she doesn't medal, I will be disappointed in her attitude. But somehow I seriously doubt she is or will be thinking that way. Even Tara with lot's more Sr. International competitions under her belt seemed way more interested in just experiencing the Olympics than worried about medals. When she surprised us all, I think she surprised herself too. Not that she didn't know she had some goods, but I don't think she expected that result. Same way with Sarah.

DG

The only one who seemed concerned with JUST winning gold was Sasha...

kyla2

Final Flight
Lots More Than Just Jumps

I hate to tell Phil hersh et al. this, but there is much more to figure skating than the jumps. Kimmie, for all of her presentation skills, still skates like a junior skater. Her layback needs work as does her footwork. I could go on. She has tons of potential, but talk to me in another couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Another funny thing about this article...

It seems as though Hersch is suggesting that Kimmie would have fared BETTER under COP, solely based on the jumps. Unless I've been smoking funny stuff right along with him, I would suggest that the opposite is true - the variety of skating skills under COP being rewarded OVER someone who is only landing jumps. This is not to take away from Kimmie's obvious potential in other areas. BUT... I think we would all agree that her other elements (spins, spirals, footwork, etc.) were nowhere close to the top ladies at this comp, or at the international comps this season.

Crazy.

DG

euterpe

Medalist
When I saw Kimmie skate Saturday night, I was reminded of a tiny girl who won silver behind Tonya Harding at '94 Nationals, in the absence of the knee-clubbed Nancy Kerrigan. There are so many similarities there. Had Nancy skated, Michelle would have been 3rd (although this was her 2nd Senior Nationals, not her first; she'd placed 6th at her first Nationals when she was 12).

Of course, that was then, under different rules, and 13-year-old Michelle went on to Senior Worlds and as the lone US Lady (Bobek failed to qualify), she finished 8th and saved two spots for '95 Worlds.

Kimmie reminded me so much of Michelle in '94 because she showed the same kind of calmness and aplomb that has carried Kwan to so many titles and honors over the years. Yes, Kimmie is older; at 15, Kwan won her first US Championship and went on to win her first World Championship. But still, I look at Kimmie and see the potential.

kyla2 said:
I hate to tell Phil hersh et al. this, but there is much more to figure skating than the jumps. Kimmie, for all of her presentation skills, still skates like a junior skater. Her layback needs work as does her footwork. I could go on. She has tons of potential, but talk to me in another couple of years.
Kyla2 - The rule on laybacks is to just bend at the waist. I believe you insist that it take the shape of the ballet-attitude position. I think that position will get an extra plus under CoP but it is not basic to the layback.

Kimmie is 15 and in five years she will be Sasha's age who has had gobs of experience in competitive skating at the senior level. Kimmie is a bronze medalist in her first Nats and that is quite an accomplishment for any skater. What happens a year from now and in Torino a few months later is anyone's guess. Think Sarah. Let's keep the keyword for Kimmie as you say: 'potential' .

Joe

Last edited:

nicole_l

Final Flight
Kimmie is 15 and in five years she will be Sasha's age who has had gobs of experience in competitive skating at the senior level. Kimmie is a bronze medalist in her first Nats and that is quite an accomplishment for any skater.

The thing is, in Sasha's first Nationals she won the short program and ended up second. Five years ago, Sasha had something that Kimmie doesn't in presentation skills.