Saying Good Bye to Suger the Cat | Golden Skate

Saying Good Bye to Suger the Cat

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Some of you may remember a few months ago my post about my favorite niece, Danielle's cat Suger (pronounced Sugar and named because when Dani got her she thought was the color of light brown sugar). Suger was diagnosed as having low thyroid. We decided to go for the radiation therapy treatment. Before they could do this she had to be maintained at a normal thyroid level with medication. Her levels have been all over the place and as of week before last were still not stable enough tp satisfy her vet that she was ready to go for the rad treatment. Last week the poor little thing started losing control of her bodily functions and the vet feels that it is time for Dani to let her go. So, they are at the vets now. One of my other nieces who is a vet tech is going to actually do the procedure. They are having a little service and will bury her with other beloved family pets that we have lost over the years.....Henrietta the hampster, Candy, ChiChi, and Santana the Chihauhas, Priscilla the poodle, Boliver the duck, Carrol Channing the kisssing fish, Foxy the Pomeranian, and Cletus the cat. It is very sad for my Mom who has been Suger's caregiver most of the 17 years they have had her. It is very cold and snowy here and at about 10:30 last night Abbbey my Corgi started barking at the back door. Out on the deck was a beautiful long haired, fully grown, yelllow female tabby crying to get in. No tags or collar but has been declawed. Mother brought her in, gave her soem warm milk and she and Abbey are playuing like old friends. I am allergic to cats so I am keeping my distance as we try to find her home. If we don't she will join Mother's other cats Joey and Miss Kitty at her house that we still haven't sold because we can't find homes for the cats. My sister-in-law did take one of them, Fancy home to NC with her at Christmas. they have quite a menagerie (including a narcoleptic Daschund, Layla) so one more was all they could handle.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm so sorry Piel...

Even when age and logic and health issues tell us "it's time," it's still never easy. It's nice that Danielle will be able to have a nice memory of a nice memorial service and all.

How wonderful of your Mom to take in the lost kitty from the back porch. I couldn't leave a stray out there in the cold either. Best wishes finding all of them homes.

DG

bronxgirl

Medalist
My rescue cat Harry and I send you our fondest condolences. Suger will be a source of wonderful memories for all of your family.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Piel,

Suger's passing really got to me, as my cat, Smokie, is failing fast and I fear it is time to let her go too. At nearly twenty years and blind, she has been slowly taking less and less joy in life. And the past few days, she seems to be suffering. And when a cat shows she is suffering, it is really bad. Cats are the original stoics. They hide their weaknesses and illnesses.

Tell Mom I feel her pain. You can't take care of an animal for so long without feelings for her. I already miss my kitty, as the past few days she has stopped sleeping in my bed. So sad to lose a furry family member.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
All of my two and four legged GS friends, Mother and I are so touched by your kind words. Danielle had to go back home to Roanoke but I have forwarded your posts to her. Thanks so much, you guys are the best! :love:

Hugs,
Patti, Doris, Danielle and of course Abbey

I agree with doggygirl, even when age and health issues tell you it's time, it isn't easy. I hope soon your neice will remember Suger with happiness rather than tears.
Do you know of Rainbows Bridge? Maybe it will help comfort your neice? http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel, so sorry to hear about the kitty.

Dee

Petlover

On the Ice
Piel, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Since my pets are all rescue, I have been in that position too many times, but I can tell you that the time you and your niece spend with Sugar is worth every second of the pain and sorrow you are now experiencing. Thanks to you and your family for giving all of those pets a wonderful and loving home over the years!
Marcia

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Piel, sending you and your family my condolences for Suger. Fortunately you all have happy memories of your furry friend.

My sister-in-law e-mailed me late last week that they had to let go of Snickers, their Siamese who was with them for 13 years. The vet said she had some type of cancer. They're all upset, especially my ten year old niece. I could only think to tell them that at least Snickers had a friend waiting for her when she crossed over (their chocolate lab, Hershey, who grew up with Snickers and passed on a few years ago).