Choreography from What We've Seen | Golden Skate

Choreography from What We've Seen

The most interesting choreography I have seen so far has been:

1. Johnny Weir. If this was TT than she must be congratulated. She understands the client and gives him what he can do with her special magic. He is not a Yagudin clone. The transitions throughout the routine and with that music, make up the most incredible piece of choreo I have seen of a male skater.

2. Joannie Rochette - I've seen a lot of Swans, Butterflies, Princesses and other fairy tale creatures, but Joannie's Firebird is by far the most authentic piece of choreography I've seen in many a moon. Can't remember his name. I think it was David Lynch? or Williams? What?

3. Beatrisa Liang - I'm not sure if it was the choreo or just Bebe but I was enthused with this program. Sarah Karahawa did a fine job.

4. Evan Lysacek - Nothing really special but he skated it well and the choreographer Oleg Epstein, got the spirt of the old MGM studios.

Do any of you have some kind words for a choreographer this year so far?

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
The most interesting choreography I have seen so far has been:

1. Johnny Weir. If this was TT than she must be congratulated. She understands the client and gives him what he can do with her special magic. He is not a Yagudin clone. The transitions throughout the routine and with that music, make up the most incredible piece of choreo I have seen of a male skater.

3. Beatrisa Liang - I'm not sure if it was the choreo or just Bebe but I was enthused with this program. Sarah Karahawa did a fine job.

4. Evan Lysacek - Nothing really special but he skated it well and the choreographer Oleg Epstein, got the spirt of the old MGM studios.

Do any of you have some kind words for a choreographer this year so far?

Joe

I would bestow kind words of praise for the choregraphers who designed Johnny Weir's programs! Outstanding pieces of work. Of course, it takes a very, very special skater to pull this off, and Weir is just that skater. He has an artistic sense that's extraordinary for a male skater.

I would bestow kudos on Bebe's programs. They were energic, athletic, and totally delightful to watch. Great work!

And Evan Lysacek's programs were also interesting and full of interesting choregraphic highlights.

Great work! Keep it up! 👍 👍

lavender

Record Breaker
Johnny
Matt
Tim (yes I like his programs)
Evan
Ryan

Others
Jeff Buttle

So far this season I like most of the men and only Michelle's short program.

I think the men are far more creative.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Interesting thread...

Last night I watched the Men's long programs again (Matt, Tim, Johnny, Evan) with sort of a different pair of eyes. I realize that when I watch them the first time or two I miss a great deal of the finer choreographic points while sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the "elements" (jumps, spins, footwork).

So I sat back and just forced myself to watch the program without particular regard to specific elements, and loose myself in the music and the overall vision. Yes, I'm sure this sounds crazy to some!!

While I have always loved Johhny's style, it was even more impressive to me watching it with this different pair of eyes. He moves with the music in such an amazing way. It's like every note of the music comes to life. Kudo's to TT if indeed she is the head mistress of this program. I think Matt's LP was the only thing that came even close to complete expression of the music throughout the WHOLE program.

While Tim has improved in the presentation department, his choreo and ultimate "feel" for the music is nowhere close. Evan is a bit better I think, but his programs are still "choppy" from the perspective of "now we'll do some choreography" and then "now we'll stop that for a bit a do a big jump or other big element." Even is fun to watch though as he certainly brings a ton of enthusiasm to his programs.

Maybe everyone else is able to take all of this in with a single viewing, but I guess I'm still learning to appreciate all the different aspects of this sport. So if anyone else is still down her at my level, try it! You'll like it!!

DG

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
The name of the choreographer of Joannie's Firebird is David Wilson Joe. He also choreographed Jeff Buttle's long program and a few other skaters as well.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
👍 Johnny. The program flows, and is very emotional. It highlights all of Johnny's strong points. It's elegant without being "girly".

👍 Belbin & Agosto. Yay! Benjamin still has enoung youth charm to pull this off (I don't think this program would look as cute in five years). It has the kind of energy that gets Tanith & Ben really riled up.

:disagree: Denkova & Stavijski. The African number just isn't working for me. Which is a shame, since I normally like their choreography.

:disagree: Tim. Too many crossovers, he doesn't hold his poses long enough, shouldn't be too CoP friendly at all.

dfj

On the Ice
doubleaxelcm said:
The name of the choreographer of Joannie's Firebird is David Wilson Joe. He also choreographed Jeff Buttle's long program and a few other skaters as well.

...and Cynthia Phaneuf's. Joannie SP is also a David Wilson creation.

Callystarr

Rinkside

1. Jeffrey Buttle: Like I said when he skates his LP @ the grand prix finale, I thought this was perhaps the most brilliant choregraphed program that I have seen in amateur skating since 1997. Buttle has produced some beautiful programs since he burst on the international scene, lasts years program was also brilliant. David Wilson has been doing an excellent job with this young man. 👍

2. Matt Savoie: This is another young man who has really come alive in choregraphy the last few years...his SP to "Adagio for Strings" this year was great and I don't believe it received the nod from the judges it perhaps should have but it is something to marvel at.

3. Johnny Weir: I think his "relationship" to the music is great, but I find his choregraphy in his LP to be rather above average, but not superior. Outside of him picking beautiful skating music I just don't see the "hype" about the choreography although I find his SP to be much better choregraphically.

jesslily

Final Flight
For ladies' programs, I like BeBe's the best. For men's programs, I think Jeff Buttle's long is the best.

Jonnie Rochette's Fire Bird is great in certain parts and style, but it does not have the flow as BeBe's prgrams.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Thank you, Cally, for bringing up Matt Savoie. His short program is the single most stunning program I have seen this season. Or this season and last season. And possibly for quite awhile back. That was genius, well put together and then Matt just skated so amazingly....

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
No ESPN for me so I am very limited in what I have seen this season. But I did like Matt's and Johnny's LP choreography. I have never seen Matt make such use of his entire body before, right down to the finger tips. Whether that is the choreographer's influence or Matt's execution I'm not sure. He would make a good modern dancer. Evan's choroegraphy really fit the MGM musical style. The program had some nice touches throughout and he put great energy into the performance and carried it off well. All three above programs were wed very well to the music. Tim's LP felt me cold (no pun intended). In terms of choreography I saw very little other than crossovers and jump prep. Nothing great going on in footwork sections, or maybe I was just bored and not focusing. And his arms look like prosthetics. I thought his American in Paris program had more content and in it he was really making an attempt at interpretation. I'm sorry I missed his SP this year. Read it was great. Generally, he could use some dance training, doesn't have to be ballet either. Jazz, modern, afro, hula, hootchie-kootchie...anything.

As far as the women, for me it was Bebe's LP that got my attention. Perfect marriage between athlete/performer, choreography and music. I think for Bebe Sara could be what Lori N was for Michelle. I also adored Jenny's SP even though it's recycled and altered. I do not like her LP at all and she runs out of steam before the end. I wish she would try something from Sweet Charity since she seems to be in her element with peppy show music. Like Michelle's SP, especially circular footwork (I think it was her SP).

I wish I could see that Firebird of Rochette's. I have to find some way to see World's, short of getting on the damn plane and heading to Russia. Actually, that would be cheaper than standard cable though a lot colder.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'n in agreement with Joe about Joannie and BeBe. Kwans Bolero maybe too subtle? OTOH I don't care for Irina's card kaper, the dealing and the cards/hearts on the costume are jjust the opposite of Kwans ...too much IMO. Irina is skating her program very well. Since we haven't seen Bolero finished yet I'll just consider the other three and say if all skate clean it should be
Joannie
BeBe
Irina
If Kwan brings a finished CoP friendly Bolero to Moscow and skates it perfectlty she should place first.

Of course the first thread after Worlds will prpobably be....
(fill in the blank) WUZ ROBBED!!! or Moscow Judging Scandal :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lori Nichols is always a favorite of mine, and seeing Tim's SP in practice -- before the news on Angela hit -- made me sit up and take notice of him... it was inspired come competition night, but he was just as beautiful the day before in practice... I love that SP.

No doubt he'll never skate it as well again presentation wise, but I think it's right up there with teh rest of the artistic field....

Linny

Final Flight
Firebird

Haven't noticed the program, too caught up in laughing at the hairy costume.
Linny

MasterB

Final Flight
the goods

Joannie - Firebirds is really good

Cynthia's - Spanish Number is good

Kwan - Bolero Sucked (and I wanted to married her last year, glad I waited)

Cohen - Nutcraker is okay, Liked her SP better

Bebe - The Best of all

Fumie - good program, bad delivery

Irina - Hearts program doesn't do a thing for me( then again nothing she does I like, except maybe her comeback)

Tim - very little style

Johny - Good style, hate those damn girly costumes

Evan - Good for what it is.

Matt - Good style, but costume left me confused

Ryan - Best program, but bad delivery

Yevgeny - Energy, Confidence and More Energy

Brian - Cloning Yagudin will be his downfall. However before he began immitading Yagudin he also had zero style.