Derrick Delmore | Golden Skate

Derrick Delmore

Johar

Medalist
I always liked this guy, even though I seldom see him skate on TV. Does he have the ability to become a really big skater like Weir?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm with you Johar, I missed seeing Derrick skate at Nationals. I don't think he was in the top 10.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always loved Derrick's skating. He was 9th after the SP, but had a terrific FS (he was 6th in the FS) and finished 7th overall.

His presentation marks in the FS were excellent:
5.2 4.8 5.2 5.1 5.2 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.2
5.6 5.1 5.4 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.5 5.6

(I think the second judge must have been smoking something)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dee4707 said:
I'm with you Johar, I missed seeing Derrick skate at Nationals. I don't think he was in the top 10.

Dee

Dee I think Delmore came in 6th in the LP which I think is great (some said he should have been 5th). Overall I think he was 7th. I hope he continues skating. I did not see him this year but in the past I've really liked him.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Delmore's strength has been in Latin music programs, and while he was technically clean, he muscled the entrances to his jumps. It was an impressive skate, nonetheless, probably a career high, and his coach was very emotional in the staging area after his skate. In the past he had a tendency to underrotate jumps, but if he rotated them fully, I wouldn't have argued with putting him over Weiss in the LP. His pre, on the whole, was superior, IMO.

I believe Delmore had been working on a degree which he now has, and it shows in his skating with more time to correct those past flaws. He always had the potential. I am not surprised at the results and happy for him.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yelyoh said:
Dee I think Delmore came in 6th in the LP which I think is great (some said he should have been 5th). Overall I think he was 7th.
Yelyoh, you're right. I think I was getting him mixed up with Ryan Jahnke. I wonder what happened to him.

Dee

eliza88

On the Ice
I too enjoy watching Delmore. I think he finally had the Nationals he always wanted to have. His SP was clean and good. He hit everything in his LP and got a partial standing ovation. He was ALL smiles. I saw him about 30 minutes later walking about in the arena and still all smiles. I was very happy for him.

Can he make it to the podium? I think the competition is too steep ahead of him, plus he's no spring chicken!

eliza88

PS. I would have had him in 6th.

Callystarr

Rinkside

I have been a big fan of Derrick Delmore since his performance @ 1998 Nationals, He just always lacked consistency. With 8 triples I could easily see him marked higher than Michael Weiss....I wish there was some way I could see him go to 4CC, but who knows perhaps he could get a birth on the Grand Prix. I loved his 1999 SP, and LP from 2003

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm a big fan of Derrick Delmore, but given the fact he's been in at least 7 Senior Nationals and has never finished any higher than (I think) 5th, I don't see him getting on the podium at this point in his career unless he pulls a Rudy Galindo. Derrick I think is like Rudy in many ways, actually -- talented, but very erratic.

heyang

Record Breaker
I remember enjoying Delmore's skating in the past and always wondered what happened to h him. Like Paul Wylie, finishing school might give him the additional time to deal with training and confidence. I'd live to seem him pull a Galindo and at least get to a World's.

I also got my first look at Derrick Delmore, live, at the '98 Nat's in Philadelphia. I immediately loved his style and his body lines. I've been hoping to see more of him over the years. I'd enjoy seeing him work his way up the ranks.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
1998 Nationals was Delmore's best Nationals senior finish to date -- 5th -- see his long competitive history in his athlete bio at:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=2290
It was great to see him skate so well in Portland, especially his 8-triple free skate! I think putting (and landing) the 4salchow back into his programs would likely give him a shot to move up in the standings, but at age 26 it's hard to say if his body will hold up (he's dealt with injuries in the past). Best wishes to him, and here's hoping he gets a good international assignment this fall!

S

SkateFan4Life

I've also enjoyed Derrick Delmore's skating. I think he has a great deal of potential, and now that he's earned his academic degree, hopefully he will have more time to concentrate on skating, training, etc.

He may never make the US World and/or Olympic team, but hopefully he will place high at Nationals for the next few years so that he will be named to some of the Grand Prix teams. I'd really like to see him compete at Skate America, Skate Canada, etc. Perhaps that's where he will have the opportunity to shine on the international stage.

All the best to you, Derrick. Go for it! đź‘Ť

dmr65

On the Ice
I never really get to see him skate, but what little bit I have.. I , to, love his presence and style of skating on ice.. .I wish he could skate with SOI or COI, in order for me to see him more..

Oh, well....

Denise...

Linny

Final Flight
Group numbers

Derrick was great in the group exhibition numbers at DC Worlds 2003.
Linny