Thread: Pairs short

Custom Title

Pairs short

So nice to see they're still giving out that former champion bonus....that was sarcasm in case you were wondering.

I thought Wakamatsu and Fecteau were clearly the performance of the night in spite of the rankings. Absolutely stunning. A little problem on the side-by-sides by nowhere near as severe as Marcoux and Buntin. Rock solid throw and light airy twist both with difficult entries. Gorgeous spiral sequence - totally original. Nobody else in the world is doing that. Also amazing lift. And to add to that, all the elements were done with speed, flow, and a performance quality that was second to none. I'll be cheering for them in the long.

Marcoux and Buntin - not a disastrous skate, but I can't understand how they wound up in first. The fall on the side-by-sides was bad, and she was not solid on the landing to the throw. Nice twist, good spiral sequence - both have lovely positions, but I still preferred the originality of Wakamatsu/Fecteau. Good speed, and also had difficult entries into several elements. All in all a good skate, but not a great one. I felt they should have been second or third.

Langlois and Archetto: the perennial bridesmaids - a problem on the side-by-sides, but other than that I thought the program was pretty good. It didn't have the wow quality I've seen from them in the past, however.

Duhamel and partner - nice side-by-side triple lutzes, but everything else in the program was simple comparatively speaking. Nice lift, but no change of position and basic entry and exit. They could be a great team, but would need to concentrate on pairs, IMO.

Dube and Davison - the injury clearly gave them problems, but I see a lot of potential in this team. Great presentation, very mature. They just need to step their elements up to seniors.

Putnam and Wirtz - This team really has potential to be great. Gorgeous line and expression, but obviously the technical wasn't there -mistake on the jumps and landing the twist. You can see Dimitriev in them already (to me that's a good thing). Keep up the training and I can see this team challenging internationally.

Was disappointed Dube and Davison missed the throw :(

:banging: Totally head-banging about the W-F/M-B situation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rain
    So nice to see they're still giving out that former champion bonus....that was sarcasm in case you were wondering.

I thought Wakamatsu and Fecteau were clearly the performance of the night in spite of the rankings. Absolutely stunning. A little problem on the side-by-sides by nowhere near as severe as Marcoux and Buntin. Rock solid throw and light airy twist both with difficult entries. Gorgeous spiral sequence - totally original. Nobody else in the world is doing that. Also amazing lift. And to add to that, all the elements were done with speed, flow, and a performance quality that was second to none. I'll be cheering for them in the long.

Marcoux and Buntin - not a disastrous skate, but I can't understand how they wound up in first. The fall on the side-by-sides was bad, and she was not solid on the landing to the throw. Nice twist, good spiral sequence - both have lovely positions, but I still preferred the originality of Wakamatsu/Fecteau. Good speed, and also had difficult entries into several elements. All in all a good skate, but not a great one. I felt they should have been second or third.

Langlois and Archetto: the perennial bridesmaids - a problem on the side-by-sides, but other than that I thought the program was pretty good. It didn't have the wow quality I've seen from them in the past, however.

Duhamel and partner - nice side-by-side triple lutzes, but everything else in the program was simple comparatively speaking. Nice lift, but no change of position and basic entry and exit. They could be a great team, but would need to concentrate on pairs, IMO.

Dube and Davison - the injury clearly gave them problems, but I see a lot of potential in this team. Great presentation, very mature. They just need to step their elements up to seniors.

Putnam and Wirtz - This team really has potential to be great. Gorgeous line and expression, but obviously the technical wasn't there -mistake on the jumps and landing the twist. You can see Dimitriev in them already (to me that's a good thing). Keep up the training and I can see this team challenging internationally.

Marcoux & Buntin had more speed than Wakamatsu & Fecteau and they have intricate dancy routine, I like it very much and it was a close call imo...But definitely M & B should've not been put on 3rd, Langlois turned out of her throw and doubled her 3 toe, so 2 errors, plus they skated a bit cautiously.

Herios -Joseph

Custom Title

Also another asset Marcoux / Buntin had over Wakamatsu / Fecteau was the throw, W&F had a throw 3 sal as opposed to a throw 3 loop for M & B. More points given for the harder element.

Herios - Joseph

I've liked this team from the very first time I saw them a few years ago. Still waiting for them to pull it all together

Custom Title
    I think Duhamel and Arnold were amazing considering the circumstances. She has never skated pairs before this, so her first time doing pairs was six months ago! I think once we give them time to grow they will be amazing to watch. Also remember she had just done her women's short program! And the double lutz in the pairs program was even better than the one in her ladies short! I think they are definitely a pair to watch, and those lutzes were impressive!

Tripping on the Podium
    Could someone name the coaches for each of these pairs? When S&P left their first coach, I understand he was devistated, but started over developing new pairs - I'm blocking his name - Gudiarre or something. Thanks.

Gaither (sp) I'm pretty sure that's not how to spell it, but it's been a while since I've had to type it

Langlois and Archetto are being coached by Doug Leigh, I think... as well as Jamie and David (though they aren't officially listed because of skate canada rules)

Custom Title
    Langlois/Archetto are coached by Jan Ullmark, who also coached Sale/Pelletier to Olympic Gold.

Richard Gauthier was the coach who guided S/P to the World Championship win and left afterwards. Richard now coaches Marcoux/Buntin, as well as Wakamatsu/Fecteau, Bergeron/Davison, and Zagorska/Siudek.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Rogue Leader
    I see L&A have downgraded from the throw loop to the salchow. Apparently they haven't landed a loop in practice for months now. I also thought M&B would've been in second, but I'm not outraged to see them in first.

Question about Duhamel and Arnold. Are they the first to ever land side by side triple lutzes? I know I&B have been trying them, but I don't know if they've been succesful.

Quote Originally Posted by Antilles
    Question about Duhamel and Arnold. Are they the first to ever land side by side triple lutzes? I know I&B have been trying them, but I don't know if they've been succesful.
    I have heard 2 things:

1. It's the 1st time SBS lutz's were done successfully in a SP
    2. It's the 1st time SBS lutz's were EVER done

Not sure as of yet which is the case.