question abt hour many hrs u guys practice per week???? | Golden Skate

question abt hour many hrs u guys practice per week????

bowie

Spectator
question abt how many hours u guys practice per week????

how many hrs u practice per week???/ how many days u go practice???and whats yr level???

Coz i am wondering how many hrs should i practice?????Now, I just go skating once per week ( having lesson and practice...) and that session is only 1 hr.......
So i am thinking may be i should go there more often~!
I never take any tests or compete , but im learning abt sit spin , camal and lutz those things.....
Can u guys tell me wot should i do ???? But the main pt is .........I live far away from the rink ..( at least 1 hr to go there ) /...........So I dont know wot should i do~!

I know only practice and make me improve............but i really dont have so much time after school start~~

Last edited:

backspin

On the Ice
You should definitely practice more--even if you could come one extra time in between lessons, you'd be amazed at how much better you will get.

I can also tell you, nothing is more frustrating to a coach than a student who doesn't practice. I have one student who skates only when she comes for her lesson with me--I have been teaching her the same things for the past 2 years! She doesn't progress, because she doesn't practice. I'm actually about to "fire" her because it's just a waste of my time.

I take one lesson a week and I skate 5 or 6 days a week, for a total of probably 8-9 hours of practice. I wish I could skate more, but I work, and I also live far from any rinks.

Good luck to you--and go skate!!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
When I first started to skate, I was told that you should practice two hours for every 15-minute lesson. I don't get quite that much - let's see, this week I had one hour lessons, and have skated just over 8 hours including the lessons - we may skate for another 1.5 hours in the morning, not sure yet. You really do need to practice your skating as often as you possibly can.

I know my teacher told me once that his greatest frustration was children who were brought in with just sufficient time to tie their boots before their lesson was due, and who were then taken away again as soon as it was over. They could never make any progress, as they didn't have a chance to practice. It wasn't their fault, of course, but it didn't make them any easier to teach.

Summerkid

Rinkside
If you are taking lessons, you should be practicing at least an hour or more for every lesson you have otherwise what you learn does not sink in....imo

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
When I first started (just last spring) I did not skate beyond lessons and therefore did not progress. This past fall when the rink re-opened, I was able to practice an extra 5-15 hours per week (depending on my work/home schedule) and what a difference it has made! Although I am an adult skater (skating between Adult 4 and Freestyle 2) and learn at a slower pace than the children, I am still able to keep up with what my teenage daughter learns in her freestyle class :rock: .With figure skating, you will get out of it what you are willing to put into it (barring natural talent or lack of)

bowie

Spectator
thanks for all the opinions.......... I will really try to go practice may be one day or twice after school~~
Really hope I can have time to go ~~

Shinn

Spectator
I practice about 6 hours a week, even though I wish I could skate more.

What kinds of sessions do you practice in?

Are they public sessions (like mine which are actually free to students), or are they with your clubs? Wondering how expensive it would be.

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Sundays-2 hour club session followed by
2 hours public session (1/2 price session which is then $2.50)
Monday-2 hour public session (again 1/2 price)
Monday night I have Synchro class so that's 1/2 hour practice and 1/2 hour skate
Thursday-2 hour public session at 1/2 price
Friday-1/2 hour practice followed by 1/2 hour lesson for learn-to-skate; followed by 1/2 hour ice dance with 1/2 hour practice after.
Sometimes my husband and I go on Saturday for a full-price public session skate if we think it won't be really crowded.

Sometimes I manage to get more time in on Sunday mornings if they open up more time for club members, or during the day if we don't get kicked off the ice (I have actually been 'left' on the ice for 4 hours! It just varies and depends on who is working that day. I must also say that sometimes I don't skate all the time, sometimes I eat lunch, or chat with my skate buddies...:biggrin:

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
We pay a fixed fee for three or more sessions of teaching ice each week; as we tend to go a minimum of four times a week, it works out well. We have to pay extra for club ice, but both of us enjoy our dance club, and we go to figure club fairly frequently to support it - besides which, the ice there is pretty empty so we can do choreography!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Mrs. Redboots:

I wish we had more empty ice to dance on! The only time it is fairly empty is in the daytime and hubby can't get away from the office (which is ok cause I'm a bit ahead of him skill-wise -- I'm waiting for him to catch up so we can really dance together; he doesn't have his crossovers yet...so I wait....and wait....ah, love)

I saw on another post that your spins are catching up to you! Way to go!!!

Isn't it funny how sometimes certain things seem to take forever while other things just click?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I skate about 3-6 hours a week. I'm a adult skater so I feel lucky if I get a good hour of skating in when I go to the rink.

bowie-the more you practice and skate the better you will get. I remember when I was young and skated that I started out just skating a hour a week-1/2 hr for lesson and 1/2 hr to practice. When I started going 2-3 days more I improved very quickly. Good luck on your skating :)

bowie

Spectator
thx all~~~
i decided may be i should go on monday or saturday to practice.........or thursday before school ~
Hope i will get a new timetable for the sckool....otherwise , i really cannt find extre time ~~~~!!!
Let's go skating tomorrow~~~~~~

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
I try to skate about 2 to 3 days per week, usually for about an hour each time. So about 2-3 hours per week. I take about 30 minutes of lessons per two weeks (they are expensive! :laugh: ).

As an adult skater, I have to balance skating in my life. I try to keep it fun, I am not training for the Olympics, so I do skate when I want to. I push myself, but not to the point of exhaustion.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Hi bowie,

You don't say how old you are or what your goals are, so just to give you an indication of a younger skater with big dream:

Monday - 2.25 hours on ice, 1 hour off ice dance
Tuesday - 1.75 hours
Wednesday - 3.25 hours
Thursday - 3 hours
Saturday - 1 hour on ice, 1 hour pilates

During this time she gets 1- 30 minute group lesson and 6 15 min. private lessons.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Skate@Delaware said:
I wish we had more empty ice to dance on! The only time it is fairly empty is in the daytime
Snag is, of course, that it's figure ice and although we can and do work on our free dance, and on any artistic/interpretive Pairs skating we may be working on, neither of us quite likes to do compulsory dances on that session! But we do have an hour of dance club once a week - social dance, but it's also good practice time - for that.
and hubby can't get away from the office (which is ok cause I'm a bit ahead of him skill-wise -- I'm waiting for him to catch up so we can really dance together; he doesn't have his crossovers yet...so I wait....and wait....ah, love)
Just wait until he gets better than you, which is what my husband did! :mad:

I saw on another post that your spins are catching up to you! Way to go!!!
I still can't reliably get more than 2.5 revolutions solo, but that's half a revolution more than last year, and it has occasionally been 3. And it's a whole revolution more than 2 years ago, so.... it takes time. We have a relatively good dance spin now, but our pairs spin is still not happening, and I don't think side-by-side spins are in our near future, either!
Isn't it funny how sometimes certain things seem to take forever while other things just click?
The absolute weirdest thing is that my stamina has suddenly improved about 1000%, from being exhausted after doing 3 patterns of a half-rink pattern dance to being able to do 4-6 patterns without even noticing! And lap after lap of edges and moves! But this was quite sudden - not gradual, as far as I'm aware. I first noticed it on Thursday, but put it down to being fitter than a friend returning to skating after a break for injury, but then yesterday I found I was hardly breathing even after 4 patterns of the Golden Skaters' Waltz NOT holding back! Husband never does get out of breath, but I'm usually exhausted!

ceg15

On the Ice
I skate for about 2-4 hours everyday except Friday. I'm a serious 14yrold figure skater with big dreams. hehe!! :)

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
10 hours on ice
5 hours off ice

24 x 7 mentally
Would you share what you do off-ice? I'm doing abdominals, strength, flexibility, balance & resistance exercises, some taken from Ann-Margret Frei's "The Magic of Style" video, and some from the Internet (these are the exercises using resistance cords); it comes out as about a 20-minute workout, which I try to do 3 times a week (I'm due to do it today, but I'm so stiff from skating & stretching after it that I may postpone it until tomorrow). I've lost some weight recently and my coach wants to take my skating "up a level - we'll work on posture!" and is anxious for me to tone up carefully.

hey,
i skate at least 3 hours a day, usually 4. it's not to bad, it's fun, but i have a bit of a break about and hour or two between the first two and the last two. Youi soo need to skate more. but i think that it depends on if you want to be really competitive or jsut recreational. and 6 times a week