Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Senior Ladies- outfits!

Custom Title

Senior Ladies- outfits!

I don't want to be to critical here but I was shocked at what Mira Leung wore for her short program last night. It was way to big for her. I also thought many of the ladies dresses were just not appropriate with the exception of Phaneuf and Rochette. Anyone else have an opinion?

Condolences to Joannie Rochette and her family cosmictears10's Avatar
    I think they need to try to make Mira look a bit more mature. The dress was definately too big for her! I never really had a problem with any of the other dresses the girls wore, Cynthia and Joannie were dressed lovely as usual

On the Ice
    Actually, I can't really find fault with what the women wore, with the exception of Mira Leung. Skating dresses are like everything else .... something might be my taste, but not yours.

Mira not only needs a new costume designer, but a new choreographer. While Joanne McLeod might be a good technical coach, I think Mira needs a choreographer who can design programs to highlight the best of what the girl has, and perhaps force her to take care of details like extension, pointed tows, flow-out, etc. Mira is definitely a talented girl, but slow though she may be, she looks like she is just rushing around from element to element .... her program(s) make no cohesive statement.

-- sheilagh

On the Ice
    I was actually quite fond of a few of the dresses that were worn last night. Of course Cynthia and Joannie's were beautiful, but I was really fascinated with Amanda Billings' outfit. It was so bright and...abstract?

I thought alot of the dresses were beautiful last night but of course Joannie and Cynthia's were gorgeus! Yeah, I liked Amanda Billings' dress too, it really suited the music.

On the Ice

Ladies costumes

It seems to me that last year at the Canadians in Edmonton I heard that Mira Leung's mother made her costumes...maybe they cannot afford some of the elaborate costumes that other can. I don't think it is fair to be citical of someone'e attire, it may not suit them as much as another garment may, but maybe its all they can afford.

Custom Title

Pictures, Anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by bonmil
    It seems to me that last year at the Canadians in Edmonton I heard that Mira Leung's mother made her costumes...maybe they cannot afford some of the elaborate costumes that other can. I don't think it is fair to be citical of someone'e attire, it may not suit them as much as another garment may, but maybe its all they can afford.
    Now I'm really curious. Anyone have pictures???

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bonmil
    As far as I remember, they ordered her costumes in a catalogue. BTW, not only her costume doesn't fit her size but her tights too. They seem to be much too loose.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I was quite fascinated with Amanda Billing's dress as well, but even more so with her SKATING!

Custom Title
    Yes Mira's dress was too big. I thought Meghan Duhamel's dress would have been quite nice if she hadn't had those ruffly things on the back of the straps when she was skating fast and they had a shot of her from the front it was an extremely pretty dress. I just didn't seem to like it as much once the ruffles appeared from the back again. Hard to explain, you really had to see it.

Custom Title
    My personal favorite was probably Cynthia's followed by Valerie Marcoux's!

Custom Title
    I too read that Mira's family couldn't afford "proper" costuming which seemed a little bit weird since the Vancouver Board of Trade had presented Mira with a sizable cheque to pay for all her skating expenses for 6 months.

Months later I was talking to someone about costuming delivery problems they were having. Apparently my friends go to the same sewer that Joanne McLeod uses or used. The problem was that they had been waiting an extrordinarily long period of time for their outfits to be finished because Joanne kept popping in and demanding something be done for Emanual/Mira/Gary Wong/Kevin Reynolds etc.

So ... Mira ordering from a catalogue and having homemade costumes may well have been the case when she was a juvenile or pre-novice skater (although I don't see Karen Magnussen accepting that) but it definately is NOT the case anymore.

Although it does make good press

Rinkside
    I thought many of the dresses were lovely. Mira's short program dress did look a little big, to me. The long program dress is a better fit though. But she did a great job tonight and I'm sure will have a nicer fitting dress next year. She's a great jumper with so much potential for the future.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine
    I was quite fascinated with Amanda Billing's dress as well, but even more so with her SKATING!
    ITA!!!, Her dresses have strong visual impact and are beautiful. I even didn't know her before this national, and now she's on my favorate list. Her skating has great style, nice flow and is very elegant. This girl gets everything to be great someday.

With Mira's SP dress... even if the family can't afford much (which I sympathize with) the dress could have easily been taken in some. I thought the dress was very pretty.

I don't have many complaints about the costumes, but Joannie's SP costume was by far my favourite!!! Seeing it on tv does NOT do this dress justice!!
    There is far more detail then the tv shows. Beauuuuutiful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast