Senior Ladies- outfits! | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies- outfits!

jan

On the Ice
I don't want to be to critical here but I was shocked at what Mira Leung wore for her short program last night. It was way to big for her. I also thought many of the ladies dresses were just not appropriate with the exception of Phaneuf and Rochette. Anyone else have an opinion?

cosmictears10

On the Ice
I think they need to try to make Mira look a bit more mature. The dress was definately too big for her! I never really had a problem with any of the other dresses the girls wore, Cynthia and Joannie were dressed lovely as usual

sheilagh

Rinkside
Actually, I can't really find fault with what the women wore, with the exception of Mira Leung. Skating dresses are like everything else .... something might be my taste, but not yours.

Mira not only needs a new costume designer, but a new choreographer. While Joanne McLeod might be a good technical coach, I think Mira needs a choreographer who can design programs to highlight the best of what the girl has, and perhaps force her to take care of details like extension, pointed tows, flow-out, etc. Mira is definitely a talented girl, but slow though she may be, she looks like she is just rushing around from element to element .... her program(s) make no cohesive statement.

-- sheilagh

supersk8er

Rinkside
I was actually quite fond of a few of the dresses that were worn last night. Of course Cynthia and Joannie's were beautiful, but I was really fascinated with Amanda Billings' outfit. It was so bright and...abstract?

ceg15

On the Ice
I thought alot of the dresses were beautiful last night but of course Joannie and Cynthia's were gorgeus! Yeah, I liked Amanda Billings' dress too, it really suited the music. ;)

bonmil

Rinkside
Ladies costumes

It seems to me that last year at the Canadians in Edmonton I heard that Mira Leung's mother made her costumes...maybe they cannot afford some of the elaborate costumes that other can. I don't think it is fair to be citical of someone'e attire, it may not suit them as much as another garment may, but maybe its all they can afford.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Pictures, Anyone???

bonmil said:
It seems to me that last year at the Canadians in Edmonton I heard that Mira Leung's mother made her costumes...maybe they cannot afford some of the elaborate costumes that other can. I don't think it is fair to be citical of someone'e attire, it may not suit them as much as another garment may, but maybe its all they can afford.
Now I'm really curious. Anyone have pictures???

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

northguy

Rinkside
bonmil said:

As far as I remember, they ordered her costumes in a catalogue. BTW, not only her costume doesn't fit her size but her tights too. They seem to be much too loose.

shine

Record Breaker
I was quite fascinated with Amanda Billing's dress as well, but even more so with her SKATING! :love:

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Yes Mira's dress was too big. I thought Meghan Duhamel's dress would have been quite nice if she hadn't had those ruffly things on the back of the straps when she was skating fast and they had a shot of her from the front it was an extremely pretty dress. I just didn't seem to like it as much once the ruffles appeared from the back again. Hard to explain, you really had to see it.

lotusland

On the Ice
I too read that Mira's family couldn't afford "proper" costuming which seemed a little bit weird since the Vancouver Board of Trade had presented Mira with a sizable cheque to pay for all her skating expenses for 6 months.

Months later I was talking to someone about costuming delivery problems they were having. Apparently my friends go to the same sewer that Joanne McLeod uses or used. The problem was that they had been waiting an extrordinarily long period of time for their outfits to be finished because Joanne kept popping in and demanding something be done for Emanual/Mira/Gary Wong/Kevin Reynolds etc.

So ... Mira ordering from a catalogue and having homemade costumes may well have been the case when she was a juvenile or pre-novice skater (although I don't see Karen Magnussen accepting that) but it definately is NOT the case anymore.

Although it does make good press ;)

Foxy

Rinkside
I thought many of the dresses were lovely. Mira's short program dress did look a little big, to me. The long program dress is a better fit though. But she did a great job tonight and I'm sure will have a nicer fitting dress next year. She's a great jumper with so much potential for the future.

hongligl

Final Flight
shine said:
I was quite fascinated with Amanda Billing's dress as well, but even more so with her SKATING! :love:

ITA!!!, Her dresses have strong visual impact and are beautiful. I even didn't know her before this national, and now she's on my favorate list. Her skating has great style, nice flow and is very elegant. This girl gets everything to be great someday.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
With Mira's SP dress... even if the family can't afford much (which I sympathize with) the dress could have easily been taken in some. I thought the dress was very pretty.

I don't have many complaints about the costumes, but Joannie's SP costume was by far my favourite!!! Seeing it on tv does NOT do this dress justice!!
There is far more detail then the tv shows. Beauuuuutiful!

jp1andonly

Rinkside
TRAxel said:
With Mira's SP dress... even if the family can't afford much (which I sympathize with) the dress could have easily been taken in some. I thought the dress was very pretty.

I don't have many complaints about the costumes, but Joannie's SP costume was by far my favourite!!! Seeing it on tv does NOT do this dress justice!!
There is far more detail then the tv shows. Beauuuuutiful!

Her mom is the controlling one of the family and I wouldn't be surprised if she picked out the dress herself. As I have said over and over, they need to get a handle on mom and tell her to butt out.

Her long program dress tonight was much better. Her short program dress made her look liek a cross between a 60's flower girl and a pregnant teen (the high waist was not a good fit). I was afraid she might pop out of the top of her dress when she did her spiral because it was that big.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
jp1andonly said:
Her mom is the controlling one of the family and I wouldn't be surprised if she picked out the dress herself. As I have said over and over, they need to get a handle on mom and tell her to butt out.

Her long program dress tonight was much better. Her short program dress made her look liek a cross between a 60's flower girl and a pregnant teen (the high waist was not a good fit). I was afraid she might pop out of the top of her dress when she did her spiral because it was that big.
And you know all of this how? Just curious :)

And you are exagerating just a little bit... it was too big, but it wasn't that bad.

triple twist

Rinkside
her mom is very nice...they just dont bother with getting dresses made because there is such a high demand....there is ONE women, the mom of an ex skater that is taking care of ALL Joannes work PLUS the requests of other coaches and skaters that need things/costumes done very fast, may they have had a problem or what not. It's all very difficult when there is a low amount of sewers, so im guesssing this is the case. I havent seen and never go to see miras dress though.

jp1andonly

Rinkside
TRAxel said:
And you know all of this how? Just curious :)

And you are exagerating just a little bit... it was too big, but it wasn't that bad.

I have been there on numerous occasions and have witnessed mom.

I know she wasn't going to pop out, but when i noticed how loose the material was near her chest and then she went into a spiral I thought maybe she might be flashing some people. hehe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Sounds like a refreshing change to me.... Most of the ladies these days are going out there in dresses that IMO are way too SMALL. Way too BIG? Now, that's gutsy!! :laugh: :laugh: I can hear Mrs. Leung now -- "I don't care if it's too big, you are NOT going out there dressed like a tramp, young lady!!" :laugh: