U.S. Olympic Committee anounces nominees | Golden Skate

U.S. Olympic Committee anounces nominees

millie

Medalist
U.S. Olympic Committee anounce nominees for 2004 sportman of the year Johnny Weir, sportswoman of the year Sasha Cohen and team of the year, Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. Check out more on U.S. Figure Skating web site. Congratulation to all of them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the news, Millie. Congratulations to the nominees. Johnny and B&A have a good chance to earn their first Worlds medals this year, and Sasha might win the world championship. This would give them even stronger credentials for 2005.

In Ladies, figure skaters have won for the last two years (Sarah Hughes in 2002 and Michelle Kwan in 2003).

Here is the complete list of nominees. (Scroll down to "01/21/2005 United States Olympic Committee announces...")

Mathman

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha might win the world championship.

Can anyone believe this? I SERIOUSLY doubt it. :sheesh:

Kwan has a much better shot even though some posters are forecasting her doom under Cop. I think she'll surprise some people.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sasha might win the world championship.

RD where does it say this? I guess it wouldn't say much for those doing the nominating if they said something like "Although she can't get through a competition without putting AOI we decided to nominate her anyway". :biggrin:

Piel said:
RD where does it say this? I guess it wouldn't say much for those doing the nominating if they said something like "Although she can't get through a competition without putting AOI we decided to nominate her anyway". :biggrin:
Red Dog said:
I was quoting MM, who posted above
OK, y'all, let me explain.

What I actually wanted to say was, none of these skaters has a chance to win the award because, really, what have they done? Plus, they have to compete against all of the stars of the summer Olympics. Not to mention the fact that figure skating ladies won the last two years, so it is time to give some other sport a chance.

However, that sounded kind of mean. So in my next draft I said, maybe these skaters will win a Worlds medal this year, and then it won't be so unreasonable to consider them for the honor of most outstanding U.S. athlete in all Olympic sports in 2005. But then I thought, well, Sasha did win a medal at Worlds in 2004, so I should mention her case separately. Plus, I didn't want to say anything that might make Millie mad, who was nice enough to start this thread in the first place, plus she likes Sasha the best, and so do I, except for Michelle. And Irina.

Anyway, Sasha might win Worlds. But I am betting on Miki Ando.

Mathman :)

PS. (SPOILER) But according to what everyone is saying who saw the ladies free state at Canadian Nationals yesterday, there is a new favorite for gold in Moscow and all bets are off!

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Anyway, Sasha might win Worlds. But I am betting on Miki Ando.

Mathman :)

I think it will be a tight race b/w Cohen and Rochette, and Cohen will win.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
gezando said:
I think it will be a tight race b/w Cohen and Rochette, and Cohen will win.

Hmm...not too sure...she could be the "Arakawa" this year...

Red Dog said:
Well...so did MK :p
I suppose the reasoning went like this. In 2004 Sasha skated five times. She got second at U.S. Nationals, second at Worlds, and 1,3,3 in three cheesefests. She didn't do the Grand Prix.

Michelle got first at Nationals, third at Worlds, and 3,1,2 in cheesefests (no Grand Prix).

So Sasha's world silver was the highest achievement of any U.S. skater that year, so she deserves the recognition.

Unfortunately, now she has to go up against the likes of Carly Patterson (all-around Olympic gold medal in gymnastics), Joanna Hayes (Oly gold and Olympic record in 100 meter hurdles), Kerri Walsh (Oly gold in beach basketball -- plus, she wears a mean speedo), etc.

Just like Johnny Weir has to stack his 5th place worlds finish up against the achievement of Michael Phelps (6 gold medals, plus he wears a mean speedo, plus being Sarah Hughes' boyfriend), or that of Lance Armstrong (last year's winner).

When Michelle won in 2003, she was the world champion in her sport, plus she was her usual sweet and kwanderful self, plus it was an Olympic off-year when the other once-every-four-years sports were on the back burner.

Mathman:)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
For the competition Mathman cited, I have to say I was a bit cynical when I heard the nominations in this non-Olympic year. It didn't cost USFS anything to throw Cohen a bone, and who besides Weir could they have chosen?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well, with Kwan tying MVO's record you could argue that she deserves it. BTW is anyone else tired of hearing about the "cosmic cinnection", LOL? That and Peter Carruther's "the lady is like a sail in the air" get my vote for the two most overused terms at nationals this year.

She tied Vinson Owen's record in (January) 2005, so I assume that didn't count for 2004.

But if she also wins the 2005 world championship in Moscow, establishing a cosmic connection with Carol Heiss; ...and then if she wins the next four after that, establishing a cosmic connection with Sonya Henie...

MM:)

No. They're friends. Sarah did some joking around about it a while back.

But the part about the speedo, yeah. :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
No. They're friends. Sarah did some joking around about it a while back.

But the part about the speedo, yeah. :p

Oh, OK. Got it now :laugh:

Mathman said:
She tied Vinson Owen's record in (January) 2005, so I assume that didn't count for 2004. But if she also wins the 2005 world championship in Moscow, establishing a cosmic connection with Carol Heiss; ...and then if she wins the next four after that, establishing a cosmic connection with Sonya Henie...MM:)
love it. We can just describe La Kwan as cosmic. BTW, the 2006 Nats, if she wins and everyone is going to try to stop her, I believe means she starts a NEW RECORD

Am I correct?