Joanne Rochette-Canadian champion | Golden Skate

Joanne Rochette-Canadian champion

millie

Medalist
Joanne our new Canadian champion scored the highest marks (GOP) in the world this year, at the Canadian Nationals. Cynthia came in second.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Joannie! Her "Firebird" program is one of my favorites. I would love to see a Joannie and BeBe skateoff. :love:

Antilles

Medalist
It was great to be there live. I almost cried, she was so wonderful. I hope she can do it again and again.

rain

Record Breaker
Rochette was incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a Canadian ladies champion skate THAT well to win their title. Triple/triple combination that was flawless, plus all the other triples - and a triple sequence. Also the presentation is there - this program is stunning - particularly when skated like that. If she skates like that at Worlds, she is definitely a podium contender no matter how any of the other ladies skate. It was breathlessly exciting. Bravo!

Foxy

Rinkside
Joannie was wonderful ..... Loved the Firebird program, solid jumping, beautiful choreography. Triple, triple and nice sequence . I really, really hope she can do it again ....... at Worlds! She seemed so relaxed and confident.

I hope I see a replay on TV so I can tape it. Wasn't expecting such a great moment in skating. Just AMAZING!! Congratulations Joannie

hongligl

Final Flight
Wow! That was amazing! Joanne is getting better and better ever after the World last year. That triple-triple was a beauty! So much speed in and out , and the position in the air and on the landing, just beautiful to watch. Love her jumps and her presentation is mature and lovely. Like her confidence on and off the ice. Expecting to see her on the podium this World! :love: :love: :love:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rochette's combined score of 183.93 for the SP and LP was higher than any Ladies' GP combined score:

183.02 Slutskaya CoR
180.88 Slutskaya GPF
179.06 Arakawa NHK
177.80 Slutskaya CoC

and much higher than Rochette's GP total scores:

166.88 TEB
156.68 GPF
152.12 CoC

Rochette's SP score of 60.81 was surpassed by

65.46 Slutskaya GPF
64.20 Arakawa NHK
64.10 Arakawa GPF
62.96 Slutskaya CoC
61.12 Slutskaya CoR

Rochette's GP SP scores were:

55.68 GPF
55.64 TEB
49.44 CoC

Rochette's LP score of 123.12 surpassed all of the GP LP scores, the highest of which were:

121.90 Slutskaya CoR
119.46 Ando NHK

Rochette's GP LP scores were:

113.08 TEB
102.68 CoC
101.00 GPF

Rochette's total score of 211.28 included 27.35 points for the quali skate, or her total quali LP score * a factor of .25.

:rock: Rochette, Ladies Canadian Champion!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting. Looks like inflated scores aren't going anywhere, even with this new system...:rolleye:

P.S. Congrats to her BTW...

shine

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Interesting. Looks like inflated scores aren't going anywhere, even with this new system...:rolleye:

Um, have you even seen her skate?

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Wow, I am so glad I was there live to witness one of the best skates
I have EVER seen in my entire skating fan career.

Congratulations JoRo, you outskated the men tonight too!! :rock:

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Red Dog said:

:mad: I second that question.... did you see her skate?
She earned every point they gave her.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Oh Boy!!!! I am so happy. I don't want to miss this tomorrow night!!! I will be glued to my set.

I can't believe the little coverage CTV has given the Canadians. It's just awful. I have been waiting all week to see something!!!!

Thanks for the great news! :biggrin:

brenlynn

On the Ice
i was there with my friends and we were on our feet before she even finished skating, just WOW! i have never seen such a great skating performance live :love: that is what going to a competition is all about, to see performances like that! hopefully the men and pairs can pull out some great ones tonight! but, congrats go out to jo, she deserves this and it's about time!!!! :rock:

Hikaru

Final Flight
aaaaaaagh I don't get to see the Canadian Championships :cry: :cry: !! But I'm very happy for Joannie because her Firebird program was my favorite in the GP series, beautifully choreographed. Congrats to the champ!!! :rock:

I saw all this happen LIVE in Dortmund last year. I am not surprised. If she gives a repeat of this Canadian skate in Worlds well, predictions will be difficult for the podium. good for JoRo.

Joe

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
We may actually have a decent Canadian female figure skater on our hands!!! :rock: First overall score this year! It was impressive! Her skate was electrifying. Everything she did was magnificent andshe is the best Canadian woman that we have had in a long time people.

herios

Medalist
Joannie's LP

For the fans down from States, who might think she got inflated marks, believe me, her routine was nothing short of a potential world medal candidate.

An absolutely flawless 7 triple program, with everything: choreo, speed execution. She put it down when it counted. No question in my mind she has everything she needs to take her to the elite of the worlds. The "big ticket" item as Tracy Wilson mentioned last night, is her 3/3....She looked very good in the warm-up, landing basically everything and we were worried when she tried a 3/3/2 ....(we said, no you don't need that yet!!!!!)

Herios - Joseph

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, just obtained a video of Rochette's freeskate. I must say I now agree with everybody...it WAS a great performance from her and justifies the high score. If she can skate like this at worlds there could be some surprises...Bring 'em on! :yes: