Who Do You Think Will Win Worlds (Women) | Golden Skate

Who Do You Think Will Win Worlds (Women)

Who Do You Think Will Win Worlds (Women)

• Total voters

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My sentimental fav would be Michelle, but after having seen Joannie's free skate video at the Canadian championship, I am going out on a limb and putting her at the top of the podium. She has the triple-triple jumps, speed, power, and musicality......go Joannie.......42

apache88

On the Ice
I'm pulling a 2000 Worlds' Peggy here: the top 2 ladies namely Irina and Shizuka are going to mess up a little bit. Michelle will rise to the challenge of upgrading her program. Mentally, Michelle is still the best and I'm betting mostly based on this department. However, if Michelle doesn't upgrade her Bolero (she'll be stupid if she doesn't which I highly doubt), she'll be beaten flat by Irina and Shizuka no matter how many mistakes they both make.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Who will win the Worlds?

You all know I am a Kwan fan so here are my picks.

Ladies:
1. Michelle :love: (why would I change now. I have been a fan since the beginning, and I am sticking with my favorite) Best Wishes in going for #6 đź‘Ť
2. Irina
3. Sasha or Shizuka

diamond :rofl:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
If Irina doesn't win, I will be completely shocked. But I'll be very happy if Michelle takes home the gold.

I think Michelle has the best chance.

Irina looked unbeatable in the first half of the season, but now there are fears that her hectic schedule has caught up with her. Her health and stamina are the key.

Miki, IMHO, is a year away from gold. But I think she'll make the podium.

Sasha can never be counted out. But she always seems to find a way to miss the top prize.

Joannie gave a fantastic performance at Canadian Nationals. We'll see how she fares on the Worlds stage. She would have to be not just better, but way better, than anyone else for the judges to place her over the perennial favorites.

Shizuka has skated as if the World championship crown is weighing her down, rather than buoying her up.

I see no one has voted for "other." I hope Fumie makes the podium. I hope Susanna has a great skate. I hope Jenny makes the top ten.

Mathman

jozmen01

Rinkside
I voted for Michelle. She hits her stride at Nationals and then usually carries it through to Worlds. :rock:

Irina seems to have used up everything during the GPS.

Sasha, well.....

Vash01

Medalist
It is really hard to predict a winner in the ladies event this year. Shizuka could even repeat as a world champ. It's been years since anyone has repeated as champ in the ladies event.

My sentimental favorite Irina- winning in her home town but I doubt very much that she will.

Michelle is always a threat. If she hits her stride with Bolero, watch out.

I actually think Sasha could pull it off this time.

I doubt that anyone other than these 4 will win this year. Miki and Joannie are a year or two away from challenging for the top spot.

Vash

Tereza

Match Penalty
My bet is on Irina S., you never know what would happen with the homewton and corrupt system backing her! Then there is a threat from Michelle Kwan, Miki Ando, Shizuka Arakawam Sasha Cohen, Joannie Rochette, Susanna Poykio even! There might even be a surprise winner if the judges are corrupted. We might as well be seeing Carolina Kostner as the World Champion! Who knows?

ditzysk8r

Rinkside
I think it will be Irina this year - it's her comeback year, so the crowd will be behind her, and she will be gr8! :p

Fossi

Final Flight
Irina will probably win, but if Rochette skates up to her potential, she should beat Irina.
I don't think Sasha stands a chance. She will have to skate 3 clean programs. Has she skated a clean LP at all in her career? Unless Nicks has worked a miracle, I don't think Sasha will win.
Shizuka has power and grace. I hope she can stand on top.
Kwan is unpredictable and I haven't seen her CoP yet. Her program is boring. So is Sasha's.

THIS IS A NICE POLL AND IT SHOULD BE IN THE WORLDS FOLDER BELOW THIS VOTING BOOTH.

IF WE HAVE TO MANY OF THEM WE'LL BE PREDICTING IN EVERY FOLDER.

I like to read results of opinions after the Worlds and see who is predicting the correct results and who is predicting just their favorites.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Tereza said:
My bet is on Irina S., you never know what would happen with the homewton and corrupt system backing her! Then there is a threat from Michelle Kwan, Miki Ando, Shizuka Arakawam Sasha Cohen, Joannie Rochette, Susanna Poykio even! There might even be a surprise winner if the judges are corrupted. We might as well be seeing Carolina Kostner as the World Champion! Who knows?

It sounds like you have already made up your mind that if Irina wins it will be due to corrupt judging. Many skaters have benefitted by the support of home crowd and won a close competition, but they were not accused of corruption (e.g. S&P in Vancouver 2001, Yuka Sato in Japan 1994, Kristi Yamaguchi in Oakland 1992- this one was a run away win though). Just because it is Moscow and Irina you want to assume there would be corruption? I don't think we have to worry about Carolina Kostner quite yet.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Fossi said:
Irina will probably win, but if Rochette skates up to her potential, she should beat Irina.
I don't think Sasha stands a chance. She will have to skate 3 clean programs. Has she skated a clean LP at all in her career? Unless Nicks has worked a miracle, I don't think Sasha will win.
Shizuka has power and grace. I hope she can stand on top.
Kwan is unpredictable and I haven't seen her CoP yet. Her program is boring. So is Sasha's.

I don't think Rochette is at that point yet. I like her chances of winning worlds in 2006 since they are in Calgary, and the OGM winner may be a no show.

I don't think it would take a miracle for Sasha to win. Her chances of winning are as good as anyone else's. I see Irina, Sasha, Shizuka and Michelle- in no particular order- as contenders for gold in 2005. If anyone else wins it, I would consider it an upset.

Vash

Yoshia

Everything seems to be adding up for Irina Slutskaya to win this competition.

The poll result is interesting. Normally polls, like predictions, mean just list your favorite, but the number of die hard fans of other skaters choosing Irina to win is indicative of the factors present in this worlds.

JUSTMY OBSERVATIONS

Irina has the technical scores far above the other contestants, and while I never saw anything special in her presentation, I always noted that the scores were always close to the leading skater(s).

Michelle Since I believe it will be Irina's to lose, I'm hoping for a podium finish for MK, but more important I will be interested in seeing what the judges think of her with the detailed breakdown of her scores.

Sasha No matter what anyone says she is always the 'dark horse'. She is very capable of winning this but it will be an uphill battle against Irina.

Julia She's good for the podium if she skates her best.

Carolina If she slows down the speed and skates carefully, I will be able to see something I have never seen. I could put her in the next to last six to skate.

Shizuka Like Sasha, she could do it but it will be an uphill battle.

Everything seems to be adding up for Irina Slutskaya to win this competition.

The poll result is interesting. Normally polls, like predictions, mean just list your favorite, but the number of die hard fans of other skaters choosing Irina to win is indicative of the factors present in this worlds.

JUSTMY OBSERVATIONS

Irina has the technical scores far above the other contestants, and while I never saw anything special in her presentation, I always noted that the scores were always close to the leading skater(s).

Michelle Since I believe it will be Irina's to lose, I'm hoping for a podium finish for MK, but more important I will be interested in seeing what the judges think of her with the detailed breakdown of her scores.

Sasha No matter what anyone says she is always the 'dark horse'. She is very capable of winning this but it will be an uphill battle against Irina.

Julia She's good for the podium if she skates her best.

Carolina If she slows down the speed and skates carefully, I will be able to see something I have never seen. I could put her in the next to last six to skate.

Shizuka Like Sasha, she could do it but it will be an uphill battle.

Ando A quad would make judges perk up and put her on the podium. (Did Midori land one in a Worlds?)

Joannie The very dark horse here. Let's see if she makes last six to skate.

Susanna A lighter dark horse. Let's see if she makes top 10.

Joe