Farewell, Smokie | Golden Skate

Farewell, Smokie

JOHIO2

Medalist
As I mentioned recently, my cat Smokie has been very ill. At 20 years old and blind, she has been battling cancer. Yesterday, I decided I was ready and it was time for her suffering to end. Guess I did most of my crying for her the past two weeks, because I felt only relief that her suffering was over.

Farewell, old friend. :cry:

guinevere

Final Flight
I haven't been on GS much in the past week or two and haven't read the other thread about Smokie's health, but I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your loss. It sounds like you & she had a wonderful, long acquaintance, and she was clearly much loved.

(((((JOHIO2)))))

guinevere & veruca (my cat, who doesn't get as much press as the dog)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Jo I am so sorry. I hope your memories of Smoky will comfort you.

Hugs (and licks)
Patti (and Abbey)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
JOH102- I'm sorry to hear of the news of the passing of your cat Smokie. I had a cat named Smokie when I was a teenager. Loved that cat.
Your Smokie had lived a full and long life. It is always sad when one loses a beloved pet, but take heart in the pleasure that she gave you for the last 20yrs.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Johio2, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. No one can take away your precious memories of your beloved cat, and of those I'm sure there are many. Rest his precious soul at The Bridge.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Smokie is now frolicking at the Rainbow bridge, in perfet health and waiting fo the day in the far off future when she can be with you again

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about Smokie. Pets can definitely become part of a family and loved as much as humans.........42

mpal2

Final Flight
JOHIO,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my cat to cancer last year and still miss him. Photographs help with the fond memories though.

A loved pet always stays special in our hearts and keeps on giving.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Thanks, to all of you. Considering all the death in the world, it sometimes seems selfish to be so upset over the death of a cat. But it really reminds you how short and fragile our lives are. Deaths in tsunamis and mudslides and traffic accidents are sudden. But the long downward slide in health is not a surprise at the end. Just the final end.

So the little fur-person's passing has had me thinking about life in general. What else is there to do with a blizzard outside? :biggrin:

I just love this group of people. So many pet lovers here and non-pet-owning good people too. Thanks again.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Why shouldn't the passing of one of God's little creatures go unmourned? There is nothing at all selfish about feeling the way you do. Yes, it's sad that there does appear to be so much loss of human life and destruction around us, but this little angel was an important part of YOUR life and of course you feel sad. I love my little dog so very much--I can't imagine life without her and I don't want to. I would have to be sedated, no question about it. Truly, my heart really goes out to you. :cry: Please don't feel badly for grieving.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
ITA with RGal
I know if something were to happen to my Kitty, I would be utterly devastated...theres a bond between us that not many could understand...shes my little angel. If you need to talk to us about Smokie, we're here and listening (ahem, reading) :)

Petlover

On the Ice
JOHIO, my sympathies for the loss of Smokie. In 2001, I lost 2 dogs, and last May lost another one, so I know how badly it hurts. You obviously took wonderful care of Smokie and gave the cat a huge amount of love for him to make it to 20 - my dog Fred (died in January 2001) was 19 years and 7 months. You will hurt for a long time, but it is worth it for the time you had with Smokie.
Marcia

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi JO...

I'm sorry for your loss of your companion Smokie. Even when we lose pets after we *know* they have had a full life, and that *now* they are suffering it's never easy. Bless you for loving your kitty deeply, and for making that tough decision so there is no more suffering. I believe all of our past pets are waiting for us in heaven.

DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
Thanks again for the support. I agree that our pets are little angels...sent to remind us that all life is important. And, yes, I also agree that they will be waiting in heaven. I appreciate that GSers are so supportive.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
JOHIO2, so sorry for the loss of your kitty, Smokie. Thank goodness for your many years of happy memories.