Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Gang of Four becoming the Gang of Five?

The Gang of Four becoming the Gang of Five?

Shall we add Joannie Rochette to the list of top ranked skaters for the podium at Worlds 2005?

If so, there will be two divas not getting medals. Oh what a competition this will be.

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    I thought she should have been in the top six at Dortmund.

Custom Title
    Joanne is going to be a power to be reckoned with at Worlds. With the performance that she gave last night, if she did the same at Worlds, she will be on the podium for sure.When she was practicing for her long program last night, she was doing triple, triple,double sequences--her coach said that she was scared that she was going to do it the long program last evening.--she said that she wants to keep something for a surprise.

Custom Title
    Nope its still a gang of four: Irina, Michelle, Shizuka and Joannie. Sasha hasn't done more than 4 clean triples all season and I don't expect her to at Worlds.

Down With It
    I dunno...I know Rochette is good, but IMO it's a bit premature to start putting her up with the best in the world based on just one knock-out performance. Who knows if she'll repeat it again? I'll wait until after seeing how she does at Worlds to decide.

Nope its still a gang of four: Irina, Michelle, Shizuka and Joannie. Sasha hasn't done more than 4 clean triples all season and I don't expect her to at Worlds.
    ITA with the Cohen comment.

Custom Title
    Nope its still the gang of four--Joannie, Sasha, Irina and Shizuka--Michelle hasn't skated under the GOP yet. :

Custom Title
    One knock-out performance? LOL. Last year in the free skate at Worlds, she fell on her first triple and from that point on she landed everything else: 6 triples including two 3/3 sequences. Many people thought she was already good enough for at least 5th on that night, but she ended up 8th; not bad! Her Nationals performance last year, at least in the LP, was also a magical one.

This year, she did two 6 triple performances in her two Grand Prix events, the only mistakes being a doubled lutz in China and a 3toe that she stepped out of in France.

She's beaten the 4th (twice), 5th, 6th, and 7th place skaters from last years Worlds already, and remember she did beat the current World Champion in the free skate at the GPFinal.

I've been saying (and I'm sure people have been getting tired of me) since 2001 that this girl would be a tremendous talent and I even predicted her to be the gold medalist in Turin way back when. She was shown a total of once on American television coming into this year, but she really hasn't come out of nowhere.

ETA- Even though she was novice and junior champ of Canada in 2000 and 2001, Joannie hasn't been hyped/pushed nearly as much as some of the other girls, some already come and gone, have been. Maybe that's why so many people think she has just burst onto the scene..
    Last edited by Tony Wheeler; 01-22-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Down With It
    Ha, this looks like fun...now the thread is turning into, "Which Four is the Gang of Four?"

To me it's a gang of three: MK, Irina, and Arakawa.

After Rochette, the possible dark horse, then you have the rest.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler
    One knock-out performance? LOL. Last year in the free skate at Worlds, she fell on her first triple and from that point on she landed everything else: 6 triples including two 3/3 sequences. Many people thought she was already good enough for at least 5th on that night, but she ended up 8th; not bad! Her Nationals performance last year, at least in the LP, was also a magical one.

This year, she did two 6 triple performances in her two Grand Prix events, the only mistakes being a doubled lutz in China and a 3toe that she stepped out of in France.

She's beaten the 4th (twice), 5th, 6th, and 7th place skaters from last years Worlds already, and remember she did beat the current World Champion in the free skate at the GPFinal.

I've been saying (and I'm sure people have been getting tired of me) since 2001 that this girl would be a tremendous talent and I even predicted her to be the gold medalist in Turin way back when. She was shown a total of once on American television coming into this year, but she really hasn't come out of nowhere.

ETA- Even though she was novice and junior champ of Canada in 2000 and 2001, Joannie hasn't been hyped/pushed nearly as much as some of the other girls, some already come and gone, have been. Maybe that's why so many people think she has just burst onto the scene..
    Oh, OK. But still, IMO you can't put her up there because she hasn't finished top 3-4 in the world- yet, that is.

Custom Title
    Hey Red Dog, Rochette is no dark horse in any competition. She is the best Canadian skater that we've had in years, at least she wasn't held up with 6.0's only the GOP.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by millie
    Hey Red Dog, Rochette is no dark horse in any competition.
    Talk to me after worlds...

But one thing I WILL do is add her to the list of contenders for the 2006 Olympic Podium...

Custom Title
    I agree with Red Dog that it is a team of 3: Irina, Shiz, and Michelle. But I do see Rochette as the potential spoiler, but most likely she will come in 4th. The judges don't seem to behind her as much as she needs to beat one of the big three unless they have a true disaster.

As far as Sasha, I like SC's skating on TV, but after seeing her in person at Nats, her skating is very weak and there is nothing that she does better than Michelle. Well, one thing spinning, but that's only one thing. As far as power, jumping technique, edges, etc. she is behind the top 3 and I do believe Joannie is ahead of her in that respect.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreampixie

As far as Sasha, I like SC's skating on TV, but after seeing her in person at Nats, her skating is very weak and there is nothing that she does better than Michelle. Well, one thing spinning, but that's only one thing. As far as power, jumping technique, edges, etc. she is behind the top 3 and I do believe Joannie is ahead of her in that respect.
    Interesting to hear the differences between performances as they appear on TV and seeing it live.

I wonder if Cohen will go the route of Sokolova- she went up to win the World Silver in 2003, and then went way downhill from there. Now she's not even a world contender.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Interesting to hear the differences between performances as they appear on TV and seeing it live.

I wonder if Cohen will go the route of Sokolova- she went up to win the World Silver in 2003, and then went way downhill from there. Now she's not even a world contender.
    Hmm..I don't know. I think Cohen is a better skater than Elena. The thing about Sasha is that she's a great short program skater. Cohen in a short program and Cohen in a long program are like night and day. I think she'll stay near the top but never quite reaching the very top of the podium.

Custom Title
    BIG NEWS----Michelle may be America's Golden Girl of skating on American ice.
    REALITY CHECK--When she steps on the ice at World's, she's not.
    She's going to have to do a lot better at World's then she did at Nationals with the programs that she has. Hey fans, be serious, she's not going to have the screaming audience or the 6.0's to keep her up. She is going to be skating against the best in the world.
    NEWS FLASH---Sasha beat her last year and she will do it again this year. Sasha knows that and that will give her the confidence to do it again this year.
    She knows that she is the underdog to American fans but not with her world fans.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast