The Gang of Four becoming the Gang of Five? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Gang of Four becoming the Gang of Five?

Antilles

Medalist
I don't want to jinx Joannie by even thinking of Worlds. All this success sometimes brings on a crisis of confidence. I think that's what happened to Pahneuf at GPF and Nationals.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
I agree that I don't expect Sasha to come in higher than 5th. Part of the reason is because her Nutcracker program is hideous. It's probably the worst program this season. I dislike Miki Ando's, but at least her program has jumps all the way to the end. Unlike Michelle, I haven't read of any plans of Sasha changing her program or adding anything to it. It's a pretty bad idea for her to go in with what she has now. Beyond that you now have Irina, Shizuka, Michelle, Joannie and Miki Ando all of which can and most likely will outjump her.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
millie said:
Hey Red Dog, Rochette is no dark horse in any competition. She is the best Canadian skater that we've had in years, at least she wasn't held up with 6.0's only the GOP.

Putting your eggs in the Rochette basket now that Cohen has let you down?
:biggrin:

Oh dear, why did you start this thread, Joesitz? You are going to curse the poor dear!

I luuuuurve Rochette, I think she is one of the most exciting skaters we've seen in awhile. I hope she makes a big splash at Worlds. I'd love to get her SP on tape, do we get to see Worlds SPs?

R.D.

Record Breaker
StillBlueLake said:
Putting your eggs in the Rochette basket now that Cohen has let you down?

hehehe...
StillBlueLake said:
Oh dear, why did you start this thread, Joesitz? You are going to curse the poor dear!

I luuuuurve Rochette, I think she is one of the most exciting skaters we've seen in awhile. I hope she makes a big splash at Worlds. I'd love to get her SP on tape, do we get to see Worlds SPs?

Yes, I believe we do. If you're in the US it's on ESPN this year. According to the TV schedule we'll even see qualifying rounds!

Who knew that Joannie was winning all those Jr things. All I remember about her was that she was second place in several times in the Canadian Nationals and I had never seen her skate on TV. But I did see her in Dortmund, and for me it was like making a new discovery. She did so many triples I thought she had broken the Zayak rule three times. It's that zone thing. Once a skater gets into one there is no stopping them. And yes, I hope we haven't jixed her in future competitions.

I also thought Miki Ando made a huge improvement this past season, and perhaps we should make it the Gang of Six. I would not object.

I still think Irina is the Gang Leader, but I would not give extra points for that deck of cards over her dress.

It will be a humdinger of a contest because all the ladies in the Gang of Six will most likely be in the last group of six to skate, and ESPN better show them all!!!

Joe

sk8m8

Final Flight
One thing about Joannie...she has the best choreographic composition of any of the ladies I've seen to date this year. Let's face it, Firebird is a Warhorse if there ever has been one, yet I saw nuances and flourish in Rochette's program that I've NEVER seen in any other version of this classic.

I personally think that if Irina stays healthy, it will be between she and Kwan..However, I can definitely see JR on that 3rd step. I simply think Suguri's been to inconsistent this year and that being the world champ has been a burden that's been difficult to bear. Also, Sasha missed so much training time due to coaching changes and her back injury that she'll have to bust her bootlaces just to be ready for worlds in time with a program that is competitive.

heyang

Record Breaker
There were several components contributing to MK's 3rd place at World's last year.

1 - Very unusual qualifying round. I recall her having at least 1 fall. To finish 3rd in her group. If it hadn't been for the fall, she probably would've been 1st or 2nd in her group.
2 - Deduction of .1 off both marks for going over the time limit - 4th place in SP. I don't have the ordinals, but you add the .1 back to each score, she likely finished higher.
3. MK beat Sasha in the free skate even after having to deal with a streaker.

Yes - both the QR and the SP were errors on MK's part, but they contributed a great deal to Sasha's 'win'.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually, Paul Martini predicts, Joannie will likely not be on the podium but she will be noticed and she will make the top five. Not bad, eh?

I did not see her entire program, but what I did see looks good. Keep it up Joannie!!!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
millie said:
Nope its still the gang of four--Joannie, Sasha, Irina and Shizuka--Michelle hasn't skated under the GOP yet. : :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Red Dog, Rochette is no dark horse in any competition. She is the best Canadian skater that we've had in years, at least she wasn't held up with 6.0's only the GOP.

This is starting to scare me...I know President Bush is a control freak, but I didn't know that he controlled figure skating, too...YIKES!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
There have been surprise finishers on the world podium for the last two years: Sokolova in 2003 (also Euros 2003 after not having competed in either since 1998) and Arakawa (8th in 2003) in 2004. Rochette made a huge jump from 17th in DC, where although she struggled, I think she was underrated in presentation, to 8th in Dortmund.

shine

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Rochette made a huge jump from 17th in DC, where although she struggled, I think she was underrated in presentation, to 8th in Dortmund.
And that's exactly the skate that made me a fan of hers! Jumps aside, she was so beautiful. She felt the music in her soul :love: I actually like that old version of the LP much more than last year's version, which was kind of watered down, although she did perform it beautifully at Nationals and Worlds.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Watched the videoclip; a great technical performance by Rochette to a fantastic choreography! What I felt was that it was more athletism based on choreography than a performance of true music interpretation. Anyway, if she is able to skate in the same way in Worlds, I´d expect her to be among top six at least. Besides her, the rest (in no particular order) are: Arakawa, Cohen, Kwan, Slutskaya and Ando. The ladies AND the men´s competition will be really exciting!!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
Watched the videoclip; a great technical performance by Rochette to a fantastic choreography! What I felt was that it was more athletism based on choreography than a performance of true music interpretation.

Yes! I couldn't describe in words how I felt, but you did it for me! That is EXACTLY how I felt as I watched this program, which was very well executed.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I think it would be very foolish for any of us to count any skater out at this point. I don't remember the last time I felt a competition was this wide open.
Rochette must absolutely be considered a contender. Irina is probably in the best postion, but she will also have enormous pressure with the expectations so high for her winning in Moscow.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Michelle, since we have no idea how COP will treat her. The quality of her skating though is so good, that my guess is she will have a decent shot at a podium spot.
Shizuka is also a question mark. If she comes back like she was last year, she will be right in the mix. If she skates more like she has this season, than things will be a lot more difficult for her.
Miki Ando presents some possibilities too. They have been downgrading her 3/3's all season, so unless something changes there, I expect she will finish off the podium.
Sasha is whole story of her own. I doubt anyone would argue the talent is there ... but when do you start to give up on her skating a clean comeptition ... all phases. The longer she goes on with these mistakes in her LP's, the harder it gets for her mentally. IMO the pressure at Worlds will be the worst for her. She needs to make a definite statement there that she can do it ... otherwise I think you will see her start to slip from favor with the usfsa.

Having said all this ... who the heck knows what will happen! :laugh:

I agree with everything you said, Nymkfan. I wouldn't count out Ando, Poykio, Costner, Suguri or Sebestien, as well. This is shaping up to be one of the most exciting contests in a long time. I just hope all the competitors are ready to bring it!

(Unlike U.S. Nationals where everyone except Bebe left it home, LOL.)

Mathman

millie

Medalist
StillBlueLake said:
_Putting your eggs in the Rochette basket now that Cohen has let you down?

I luuuuurve Rochette, I think she is one of the most exciting skaters we've seen in awhile. I hope she makes a big splash at Worlds. I'd love to get her SP on tape, do we get to see Worlds SPs?[/QUOTE

First of all, Rochette is my favourite because she is from my home country, Canada.

Secondly, I will never give up on Sasha. I know that she got what it takes to become a champion, in my eyes she already is.

Last of all, since I have been following figure skating in the U.S., there have always been pitting one skater against the other---Tara & Michelle--Sarah & Michelle---Sasha & Michelle. Who is next? Probably Michelle will win the Gold at the Olympics, one day, she'll be hoppling across the ice with her cane and figure skates on---I finally got g---o---l----d. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
My thoughts on Joannie Rochette ...

There is definite potential. I predict that she will be in the Top 6/final flight. She has a 3/3 and a strong program.

Whether she will actually be on the podium is more of a stretch. At this point, I feel Slutskaya and Kwan will be in the Top 3. I don't know WHERE on the podium they will be, but they will be there.

The question marks among ladies skating elite are Shizuka and Sasha, both of whom are having poor seasons. Based on what we have seen, either could be OFF the podium. Sasha switched coaches again, struggled with an injury, moved across the country again and her programs this year are not choreographically inspired. The only reason they look good is because Sasha's eye-popping artistry can make dross look like gold. She's skated terribly at both cheesefests. Her Nats skates were better, but not enough to remove the cloud hanging over her.

Shizuka's position at this point is just as tenuous as Sasha's; I don't understand why more people haven't recognized that. She skated badly throughout the GP, rumors are strong that she is unmotivated this season and she seems to be feeling the weight of being WC. Like Sasha, she has struggled with an injury. Her programs are much better than Sasha's but I think this is offset by the fact that Sasha at least had a decent skate at U.S. Nats. Arakawa pulled out of Japanese Nats, which leaves her as a huge question mark.

So given the recent problems of Arakawa and Cohen, it is possible that we could see Rochette on the podium with Slutskaya and Kwan. If Arakawa and/or Cohen skate well at Worlds, then Rochette will certainly not be on the podium.

P.S. Don't feed the trolls.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Shizuka's position at this point is just a tenuous as Sasha's; I don't understand why more people haven't recognized that. She skated badly throughout the GP, rumors are strong that she is unmotivated this season and she seems to be feeling the weight of being WC. Like Sasha, she has struggled with an injury. Her programs are much better than Sasha's but I think this is offset by the fact that Sasha at least had a decent skate at U.S. Nats. Arakawa pulled out of Japanese Nats, which leaves her as a huge question mark.

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe she's gotten her motivation back between Nats and Worlds but she hasn't been skating well. She had a lot of underrotated jumps this season. I know her combos are usually underrotated but this time so were her single jumps. I think everyone still counts on her because she does have the 3/3 combos. However people are forgetting that hasn't really blown people away under COP. She's just has done well enough. Her weapon right not is her choreography but so far she hasn't shined with it.

mpal2

Final Flight
Shizuka has already said in interviews that she was planning on quitting from competitive skating after last year. Winning at Worlds put a new wrinkle in her plans. I wonder if she wants to continue skating or if the Japanese Federation wants her to continue skating.

Kuchana

On the Ice
I really thought that Shizuka was going to be a major contender for Moscow but now I'm reconsidering it and thinking it more as a showdown between Irina and Michelle. Can't really say whether Rochette will be a contender for the podium. Haven't seen her skating much and from what I saw, it didn't really impress me that much. But I'm interested in seeing her more now from all this talk about her. As for Cohen, she's got a lot to prove, coming from her World silver medal finish and a dismal season this year so far.