Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comedy in competition?

Skating Freak Barbie

Comedy in competition?

Watching the U.S. Nationals' exhibitions right now, and noticing that a lot of skaters seem to enjoy doing comedic routines, it made me wonder.

Other than Laurent Tobel (and possibly Yagudin's 1999 "Circus" SP), has any skater injected comedy (DELIBERATELY, I mean! lol) into eligible competitive routines? I am curious, and if there is anyone, I would like to watch the performances.

Kasey

I think that Belbin and Agosto's Elvis free dance had some comedic moments. Scot Hamilton had some comedy numbers for pro competitions. Phillipe Candeloro had a program that was supposed to be funny ( the year after Lillihammer IIRC) I can't remember if it had something to do with a cowboy or a snake....we were not amused. Tonya Harding did a comedy number for her Olympic FS .

Custom Title
    Vanessa Gusmeroli and Laurent Tobel did comedy programs. Vanessa's Circus program and Laurent's mime program comes to mind. I also liked Vanessa's jewel thief number as well.

Todd Eldredge and B&S channelled Charlie Chaplin.

Jamie Sale and David Pelletier's SPs always had a romantic-comedy type feel

Rogue Leader
    Kurt Browning did a few comedic ones. Mostly in his earlier days. S&P's last SP had quite a bit of comedy in it. I believe Kurt worked on it with them.

Tobel had a great one set to Pink Panther music. I saw it on ESPN Classic not that long ago.

If I recall, Bestemianova & Bukin did comedic ones too. I'd say Berezhnaya & Sikhuralidze's Chaplin exhibition piece was comedic as well.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Phillipe Candeloro had a program that was supposed to be funny ( the year after Lillihammer IIRC) I can't remember if it had something to do with a cowboy or a snake....we were not amused. Tonya Harding did a comedy number for her Olympic FS .
    Ah, Philippe's Lucky Luc program. That was the year he f*d up the SP...and finished out of the top 10 at worlds =(

Incidentally, that was the year all the French men at worlds (Cerez, Millot) used cowboy music.

Thumbs up

If you ask me, Jenny Kirk would easily win gold at worlds if she were to use her exhibition program as a long program...If they could only figure out some way of editing out the singing and all that "Roxy Hart" narration.

Isn't her exhibition program essentially just her short program -- only with singing?

It appears to be slightly longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Isn't her exhibition program essentially just her short program -- only with singing?
    it has a few cuts that are the same, but there's different music, and different choreography

Chicago is definitely a signature piece for her... she really seems to have fun with those programs!

There's no question about it. The secret to her success is to always skate to upbeat music. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. That Beatle medley could've used alot more "Can't Buy Me Love" and alot less "Long And Winding Road."

I think Sasha should try a little more upbeat music as well. Maybe a Broadway show tunes medly? In her SP when she started her footwork section she got a gleam in her eye like she was actually enjoying herself. If she could carry that energy through an entire LP she would be unbeatable.

Custom Title
    What about Dan Hollander? I seem to remember his "Tapping with Bob" SP was pretty funny.

I find that women tend not to do comedic more so than the men even in exhibitions. I'd like to see the trend change. I somehow can't picture Michelle and Sasha doing comedy, but it would be a change of pace for them, that's for sure!

I'm sure it has to do with skating's "establishment". It's always risky for skaters to try edgier music, never mind full blown comedy concepts. That's why I figure so much classical music is endlessly used.
    Last edited by Skate Sandee; 01-23-2005 at 09:34 PM.

I somehow can't picture Michelle and Sasha doing comedy, but it would be a change of pace for them, that's for sure!
    I'm telling you if Kwan and Cohen came out doing the last scene of Velma/Roxie from Chicago it would bring the house down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast