Comedy in competition? | Golden Skate

Comedy in competition?

Kasey

Medalist
Watching the U.S. Nationals' exhibitions right now, and noticing that a lot of skaters seem to enjoy doing comedic routines, it made me wonder.

Other than Laurent Tobel (and possibly Yagudin's 1999 "Circus" SP), has any skater injected comedy (DELIBERATELY, I mean! lol) into eligible competitive routines? I am curious, and if there is anyone, I would like to watch the performances.

Kasey

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think that Belbin and Agosto's Elvis free dance had some comedic moments. Scot Hamilton had some comedy numbers for pro competitions. Phillipe Candeloro had a program that was supposed to be funny ( the year after Lillihammer IIRC) I can't remember if it had something to do with a cowboy or a snake....we were not amused. Tonya Harding did a comedy number for her Olympic FS :biggrin: :p .

soogar

Record Breaker
Vanessa Gusmeroli and Laurent Tobel did comedy programs. Vanessa's Circus program and Laurent's mime program comes to mind. I also liked Vanessa's jewel thief number as well.

Todd Eldredge and B&S channelled Charlie Chaplin.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jamie Sale and David Pelletier's SPs always had a romantic-comedy type feel

Antilles

Medalist
Kurt Browning did a few comedic ones. Mostly in his earlier days. S&P's last SP had quite a bit of comedy in it. I believe Kurt worked on it with them.

Tobel had a great one set to Pink Panther music. I saw it on ESPN Classic not that long ago.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If I recall, Bestemianova & Bukin did comedic ones too. I'd say Berezhnaya & Sikhuralidze's Chaplin exhibition piece was comedic as well.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Piel said:
Phillipe Candeloro had a program that was supposed to be funny ( the year after Lillihammer IIRC) I can't remember if it had something to do with a cowboy or a snake....we were not amused. Tonya Harding did a comedy number for her Olympic FS :biggrin: :p .

Ah, Philippe's Lucky Luc program. That was the year he f*d up the SP...and finished out of the top 10 at worlds =(

Incidentally, that was the year all the French men at worlds (Cerez, Millot) used cowboy music.

IDLERACER

Medalist
If you ask me, Jenny Kirk would easily win gold at worlds if she were to use her exhibition program as a long program...If they could only figure out some way of editing out the singing and all that "Roxy Hart" narration. :rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Isn't her exhibition program essentially just her short program -- only with singing?

it has a few cuts that are the same, but there's different music, and different choreography

Chicago is definitely a signature piece for her... she really seems to have fun with those programs!

IDLERACER

Medalist
There's no question about it. The secret to her success is to always skate to upbeat music. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. That Beatle medley could've used alot more "Can't Buy Me Love" and alot less "Long And Winding Road."

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think Sasha should try a little more upbeat music as well. Maybe a Broadway show tunes medly? In her SP when she started her footwork section she got a gleam in her eye like she was actually enjoying herself. If she could carry that energy through an entire LP she would be unbeatable.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
What about Dan Hollander? I seem to remember his "Tapping with Bob" SP was pretty funny.

I find that women tend not to do comedic more so than the men even in exhibitions. I'd like to see the trend change. I somehow can't picture Michelle and Sasha doing comedy, but it would be a change of pace for them, that's for sure!

I'm sure it has to do with skating's "establishment". It's always risky for skaters to try edgier music, never mind full blown comedy concepts. That's why I figure so much classical music is endlessly used.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I somehow can't picture Michelle and Sasha doing comedy, but it would be a change of pace for them, that's for sure!

I'm telling you if Kwan and Cohen came out doing the last scene of Velma/Roxie from Chicago it would bring the house down.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I remember Debbie Thomas did an exhibition piece in a chicken costume and being a klutz.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
The Finnish dance couple, Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko, had a reputation for slightly off-kilter comedy-oriented free dances during the early 90s. Themes included "Streetwalker & Sailor", "Groom & Batty Bride" and one number where they had coal all over their faces and blackened a couple of teeth to play hobos. (The latter was at a Euros and they were told to knock the makeup off for the Worlds). I actually found these programs to be more weird than actually funny, but maybe you had to have a more European sense of humor....

Casper

Rinkside
Piel said:
I'm telling you if Kwan and Cohen came out doing the last scene of Velma/Roxie from Chicago it would bring the house down.

I'd pay good money to see that one.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Torvill and Dean's 'Barnum" program was not exactly comedic, but it was one of the most entertaining and creative ice dance programs, I have ever seen. It gave one the feeling of being at the circus - just very lighthearted and loaded with amazing footwork and original moves. Classic.