is it over for Fumie Suguri? | Golden Skate

is it over for Fumie Suguri?

ks777

Record Breaker
It seems like people are counting her out this season. I know she changed coaches and she is having problem with her jumps but I just wouldn't count her out yet.

She didn't medal at the word championships last year because she had a disastrous qualyfing round but came back strong with great short and long programm but a lot of us didn't get to see it because she skated in the early groups. I still can't forget her tears after having one of her best free skate at the last years worlds.

I don't think Arakawa has improved this much if there wasn't Fumie Suguri. They been rivals since they were juniors.

I just hope she comes back strong at 4 CC. Now that Yukina Ota is out with injury, It's between Fumie and Onda for the ticket to worlds. I will be so sad if Fumie doesn't qualfy for worlds. then again i would be sad for Yoshie who also made a coaching change to improve on her artistry and basics.
Either way, I hope they both skate their best.

euterpe

Medalist
I am rooting for Fumie all the way. I love her FS and think if she can get her jumps under control, it is the perfect vehicle for her. I consider Fumie to have the best presentation skills of all the Japanese skaters, with the possible exception of Yukina Ota. She really seems to feel her music and she communicates this very well to audiences.

Fumie can score much higher PCS scores than Yoshie, so I think she can finish higher at Worlds.

Go FUMIE!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it's over... but I am not going to hold my breath this year :( I haven't even heard much about her this year. She is a favorite of mine, but I dunno... if she doesnt light the fire soon the flame is going to go out :(

jesslily

Final Flight
Two things that affected her skating in a negative way. First, she changed her short program style last year and skated with a black legging sort of outfit. I don't think the judges like her change. Asian girls should be ballerina on ice instead of rock star on ice. Her placement was low at world last year. Second, she switched to new coach. I don't know why. Is that Miki Ando is doing well and intimidates her position in the mind of Mr. Sato? Beofre Fumie only was not solid with 3Loop and her other jumps are very good(No bad flutz). And this year at one grand prix event, it seemed she messed up every thing. At kiss&cry she looked so heart-broken. I don't think her new coach should totally change her jumping technique. And her long program this year does not look fit her style either.

I don't know about Fumie. To me, she was a standard reliable skater with a certain amount of talent and artistry that would keep her in the top 5 Worldwide if not top 3. I just think she is now in a slump and has to snap out of it. It's not easy.

BTW, Is she on the team for Worlds, 4CC,?

Joe

Joe, as ks777 mentions, the Japaneser federation is definitely sending their champion, Miki Ando, to worlds. IIRC Shizuka Arakawa withdrew from Japanese Nationals with an injury after the short program, but as reigning World champion she showed the Federation enough to guarantee her a spot on the worlds team.

That left Suguri, Onda and Ota to compete for the third spot. They were all three scheduled to do Four Continents, with whoever finished highest going on to worlds. Now ks777 informs us that Yukina had to withdraw because of injury. :cry: So it's between the other two.

I think Fumie is far from done. Until Ando gets her presentation skills polished up a bit, to me Fumie is still the best overall skater in Japan. She gave a podium-worthy free skate at worlds last year (IMO, the best of the night, better than Arakawa). But, as ks777 mentions, she (like Michelle Kwan) was too far behind after the qualifying round.

Mathman

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Asian girls should be ballerina on ice instead of rock star on ice.

Says who? The Japanese Federation didn't seem to mind Shizuka's Techno Swan Lake.

ks777

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Joe, as ks777 mentions, the Japaneser federation is definitely sending their champion, Miki Ando, to worlds. IIRC Shizuka Arakawa withdrew from Japanese Nationals with an injury after the short program, but as reigning World champion she showed the Federation enough to guarantee her a spot on the worlds team.

That left Suguri, Onda and Ota to compete for the third spot. They were all three scheduled to do Four Continents, with whoever finished highest going on to worlds. Now ks777 informs us that Yukina had to withdraw because of injury. :cry: So it's between the other two.

I think Fumie is far from done. Until Ando gets her presentation skills polished up a bit, to me Fumie is still the best overall skater in Japan. She gave a podium-worthy free skate at worlds last year (IMO, the best of the night, better than Arakawa). But, as ks777 mentions, she (like Michelle Kwan) was too far behind after the qualifying round.

Mathman

thanks mathman!!

jesslily

Final Flight
Japaness Federation and international judges are two different identities...I have't read anything that clearly indicates the Japaness Federation, or international judges like her new program styles. Her programs such as Moonlight, Swan Lake, along with few others classic music programs indeed brought her strengh. Her new style is not her. She acknowledged that when she was learning 2003's short program, she did not know anything about Rolling Stone. Plus she did not look comfortable in this new style. Each person has his/her own styles. In her right program styles Fumie moved up every year. The coach change and style change got her placement lower. Most skaters choose not to change the styles dramatically.

Antilles

Medalist
I don't think Fumie's SP last year was a different style. Yes, the song was "Paint it Black", but it was an orchestrated version. I barely recognized it. As far as I'm concerned, it was a classical program.

I wouldn't count anyone out yet. She could rebound, and there have been stranger happenings in sport.

S

SkateFan4Life

I've missed seeing Fumie. She is a lovely skater, with reliable jumps and flowing choregraphy, but she hasn't been skating her best recently. With all of the excellent Japanese women skaters, she's going to have a difficult time qualifying for Worlds and/or the Olympics. I hope she will rebound!