Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program

S

SkateFan4Life

I really enjoyed Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" exhibition program. His jumpsuit costume featured a rhinestone heart across his chest. He skated with his usual elegance, style, and athleticism. It looks as though he may well become quite a heartthrob for the young ladies of the audience.

Yeah, that little fluff piece where the flower girls were all giggly about him was cute.

But like I just posted on the other Exhibitions thread, the main thought that was running through my head during this performance was, why don't all skaters choose great songs to skate to? The music absolutely carried the performance, IMHO. All Johnny had to do was skate along to it. Totally mesmerizing.

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I didn't like the program, and I think one of the reasons was I found the costume to be too distracting... jmho...

I love the song though :laugh:

Tonichelle said:
I didn't like the program, and I think one of the reasons was I found the costume to be too distracting... jmho..I love the song though :laugh:
I guess he's not a hottie.

Joe

glow_girl85

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
I didn't like the program, and I think one of the reasons was I found the costume to be too distracting... jmho...

I love the song though :laugh:
i agree. i LOVE the song, but i found the performance kind of boring.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I, too, was disappointed by the exhibition piece. I think his FS is far more interesting.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I guess he's not a hottie.

Joe
:rolleye: yeah, right, because THAT's what I think makes a good skater. :rolleye:

I didn't like the program, I don't like his style of skating. Johnny is an attractive guy. I am not a blonde bombshell or even remotely close to attractive so I am not as superficial as to like only the overly attractive male skaters :rolleyes:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonichelle said:
I didn't like the program, I don't like his style of skating.
You don't like exquisite?? :cool:

Dee

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Dee4707 said:

Dee

Exquisite isn't the same as "WOOT WOOT!" (thank goodness). And since Popeye isn't doing eligible skating :rolleye: , give me exquisite every time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:

Dee

isn't that another one of those subjective words? LOL

I dunno, it's not that I don't see why he is a great skater... he just fits into the whole Michelle Kwan category for me. I will never deny they are great, or that they don't deserve everything they get... I just don't "get" them... as in I don't see why they have huge followings... maybe that's part of it too, I don't know :laugh:

Johnny is a hottie. Plus, he has cool hair. I know because I just asked my 12-year-old niece!

MM:)

Tonichelle said:
:rolleye: yeah, right, because THAT's what I think makes a good skater. :rolleye:

I didn't like the program, I don't like his style of skating. Johnny is an attractive guy. I am not a blonde bombshell or even remotely close to attractive so I am not as superficial as to like only the overly attractive male skaters :rolleyes:
Others think good skating is a combination of good basics, good elements and good presentation. But you have your views and you certainly are entitled to them, and we are aware of them. No problem.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonichelle said:
isn't that another one of those subjective words? LOL
I dunno, it's not that I don't see why he is a great skater... he just fits into the whole Michelle Kwan category for me. I will never deny they are great, or that they don't deserve everything they get... I just don't "get" them... as in I don't see why they have huge followings... maybe that's part of it too, I don't know :laugh:
I totally understand what you mean.:agree:

Dee

PS. I am just glad that Johnny did something with his hair. I like it very much now.

brad640

On the Ice
Johnny seems to be a very introspective skater to the point that he is thrown off if the audience is too responsive to his programs. In the short program at the end of the circular footwork the crowd started to cheer and he had a minor stumble and they were quiet again. It was even more noticable in the long. He had finished all his jumps and when he went into the straight line footwork the crowd sounded like it was going to cheer loudly all the way through, but he had another stumble that quieted the response. He also talked about "going into his own world" to train for worlds.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Johnny seems to be a very introspective skater to the point that he is thrown off if the audience is too responsive to his programs. In the short program at the end of the circular footwork the crowd started to cheer and he had a minor stumble and they were quiet again. It was even more noticable in the long. He had finished all his jumps and when he went into the straight line footwork the crowd sounded like it was going to cheer loudly all the way through, but he had another stumble that quieted the response. He also talked about "going into his own world" to train for worlds.
I think there is audience that is left cold by Weir's skating and audience that is drawn into his world. In the earlier rounds of Worlds, there was a lot of buzzing around, chatting, etc., waiting for the big guns to skate. When Weir skated his short program, you could hear a pin drop in the arena; he shut everyone up. At Nationals, I thought he'd have a standing ovation by the end of his footwork; when he stumbled, for me, it was like being awakened from a dream by the alarm buzzer.

Casper

Rinkside
I don't deny that the kid is talented. I just can't say I'm a fan of his. He is obviously doing something right to keep winning. Good for him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
At Nationals, I thought he'd have a standing ovation by the end of his footwork; when he stumbled, for me, it was like being awakened from a dream by the alarm buzzer.

I felt that too... it felt like after the stumble the excitement died off or something...

honestly, I did want Tim to win, not because he is supposedly the "hottest" skater out there (because I wouldn't agree with that statement) but because he's my emotional favorite. Between his showing being a comeback and the fact he had been dealing with the whole thing surrounding Angela I just wanted him to win lol. Did he deserve the win. Emotionally, maybe, but Johnny outskated him in the FREE. So Johnny is the winner. No whinning about that here.... just want a non-Tarasova type costume on him please!

Mathman said:
Johnny is a hottie. Plus, he has cool hair. I know because I just asked my 12-year-old niece!

MM:)
Now, see, I don't think the "orlando bloom" length of hair is attractive on him --or really most males-- so see hotness/attractiveness is subjective too :laugh:

Johnny has a killer smile though ;)

Last edited:

Jill

On the Ice
I am a fan of Johnny's. And I think he's so cute, I just want to pick him up and squeeze him! Then again, I'm in grandma mode. :p

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
Alright, I'm a guy, and admittedly, I do not claim to have any great insights as to what goes on in the heads of most teenage girls, but there's an obvious elephant in the room that no one seems to be acknowledging. Now I can easily see how Matt Savoie or Evan Lysacek would have lots of matinee idol appeal, but Johnny Weir? :scratch:

Idle, I need to ask you a HUGE favor. PLEASE allow the Johnny gushing by the teens to continue over Johnny, and Johnny alone. PLEASE leave Matt and Evan (especially Matt) OUT of this teenage idol debate so us More Mature Women can fantasize about Matt (and possibly Evan) undisturbed by the Johnny Focused Teeny Boppers!!!

Well, even though Us More Mature Women are on a diet, we can still read the menu, right??

;)

DG