Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program

IDLERACER said:
Alright,
If you ask me, THIS photo is indicative of someone who would much more likely be a heartthrob among the West Hollywood/Fire Island crowd. Well, I guess there were also alot of naive midwestern housewives that swooned over Liberace, back in the day. :rolleye:
You do stereotype, don't you. Are you anti semetic too? As for Weir, are you aware this is about skating and not about teenyboppers who only like hotties?

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
You do stereotype, don't you. Are you anti semetic too? As for Weir, are you aware this is about skating and not about teenyboppers who only like hotties?

Geez, sometimes I think you're in denial. Not all gay men look "gay", but Johnny is practically jumping out of the closet.

That doesn't stop young girls from thinking he's a hottie.

I should stay out of this, but my opinion is, first, no straight male can stand shopping in the least. But I do not find his skating to be sissified. I find it bold but understated. He has flair but is always in control.

What is the point of this juvenile, tee hee, ooo ooo ooo, guess what, Johnny Weir's gay. (?)

Mathman :sheesh:

soogar said:
Geez, sometimes I think you're in denial. Not all gay men look "gay", but Johnny is practically jumping out of the closet.
I live in New York City so I am not in denial of anything in life. What bugs me about certain posters is there insistence that the presumed sexual orientation of Johnny or any other skater (most are neuter, imo) is that they have discovered something no one else sees. Whoopee, and they must flaunt it to the world in a debaseful manner.

I see what you see in Johnny but I say - so what? That's very newyorker talk. You make an issue out of it. What is going on with you when there are people you suspect as being gay must prove themselves to you that they are not. Why is that so important to you? I see something strange there.

Jhar55

Medalist
I loved the music it's one of my favorite songs. But the music didn't fit a single skater, TO ME it's more of a couples dance. Now put someone Melissa & Dennis with it, there ya go. :agree:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I thought it was a love song, from a singles skater to someone else, and that it worked quite beautifully that way.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Alright, I deleted the post. I had no intention of offending anyone, least of all you. :rolleye: From now on, I'll go to EZ-Board's anthropology forums whenever I want to speculate on why millions of women are infatuated with Clay Aiken, when there doesn't seem to be a single guy on the planet who's infatuated with Paula Poundstone. :p

Incidentally, how on earth does antisemetism figure into this? :think: Is Johnny Weir Jewish?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
Incidentally, how on earth does antisemetism figure into this? :think: Is Johnny Weir Jewish?
Actually, while Jonny is Christian, he does study Kaballah, a mystical Jewish teachings that Madonna helped popularize. Personally, I think that is quite ridiculous - in order to properly study Kaballah, you are advised to start with memorizing the Torah by heart. Its popularity today is a fad that should soon go away. What happened to good old Buddhist infatuations!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I should stay out of this, but my opinion is, first, no straight male can stand shopping in the least. But I do not find his skating to be sissified. I find it bold but understated. He has flair but is always in control.

What is the point of this juvenile, tee hee, ooo ooo ooo, guess what, Johnny Weir's gay. (?)

Mathman :sheesh:

actually saying "no straight man" is too general an opinion. My dad is 100% straight and the man can shop like no other... I think he rivals even my best friend and that girl can flat SHOP! :laugh: Granted, I don't think he and Johnny would agree on much shopping wise, but you can't say Johnny is gay because of that :laugh:

He hasn't come out and said "I'm gay" and there are those really metrosexual guys that I swear are out there just to confuse the whole issue :laugh: "gaydar" does not exist and I don't think it belongs in here anyway. I guess all I'm saying is, until he says one way or the other I don't think any of us should be putting him in a closet or pulling him out :laugh:

and how the heck did Clay Aiken get pulled into this?? I thought I was the only one who was allowed to make reference to him on every thread? :laugh:

Last edited:

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
actually saying "no straight man" is too general an opinion. My dad is 100% straight and the man can shop like no other... I think he rivals even my best friend and that girl can flat SHOP! :laugh: Granted, I don't think he and Johnny would agree on much shopping wise, but you can't say Johnny is gay because of that :laugh:

He hasn't come out and said "I'm gay" and there are those really metrosexual guys that I swear are out there just to confuse the whole issue :laugh: "gaydar" does not exist and I don't think it belongs in here anyway. I guess all I'm saying is, until he says one way or the other I don't think any of us should be putting him in a closet or pulling him out :laugh:

and how the heck did Clay Aiken get pulled into this?? I thought I was the only one who was allowed to make reference to him on every thread? :laugh:

There are none so blind as those who will not see, Miss "WOOT WOOT".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually it's Toni, not "miss woot woot" being rude gets you no where.

If I had come out and said "Johnny's gay" you and others would be the first group to say I was "outing" him wrongly because of who I am. I, personally, do not see it as my place to "out" those who don't want to out themselves if they even are.

If I could reference Clay Aiken it could make my point as he says he's not, his "religion" (or rather denomination there of) also denounces homosexuality, therefore I take him for face value. It's not my place to tell him he is otherwise.

Johnny, as far as I know, has never said one way or the other, so until he does I may personally think he is but that doesn't mean I'm right.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Regardless of sexual orientation, there are men who appear dangerous and there are men who appear safe. As someone on Figure Skating Universe pointed out when the same topic was brought up, boy bands are made up of safe young men that young girls can have huge crushes on in total safety. The reaction of the skate girls to Weir on the exhibition broadcast was priceless. When they grow up, they'll probably change their conception of "hot," much to the chagrin of their parents. Johnny Weir has a lovely, angelic face, particularly when he's got the curls going. In real life, Weir and Aiken could be dangerous, but the image they project is safe. (Said the woman who had an enormous crush on David McCallum [Ilya Kuryakin on "The Man from UNCLE" for the young-uns among you] as a young girl.)

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I will concede that at least as far as still photography goes, they genuinely do make a cute couple. :agree:

Click HERE

It's only when he opens his mouth and starts to speak, that the illusion is suddenly, and jarringly shattered. :cool:

There is nothing wrong with anyone presuming Johnny is gay. What I would like to read after that statement is, an answer to the question "So What?"

No one will answer that so it's time to move on to Johnny's quads. Can he do one and will he?

Joe

Toni, that's what I get for making generalizations (about shopping).

Idle, and Soogar, I don't really get the point of discussions like this. Is Johnny Weir the only gay person you have ever seen? Are you shocked that some gay men and women, like everyone else, participate in the sport of figure skating? Are you surprized to discover that Johnny and Sasha are friends but not lovers?

Hockeyfan's observation about young girls and "safe" heartthobs is right on, IMO. There have been lots of gay male celebrities that women have thought were attractive.

Mathman

Mathman said:
Idle, and Soogar, I don't really get the point of discussions like this. Is Johnny Weir the only gay person you have ever seen? Are you shocked that some gay men and women, like everyone else, participate in the sport of figure skating? Are you surprized to discover that Johnny and Sasha are friends but not lovers?

Hockeyfan's observation about young girls and "safe" heartthobs is right on, IMO. There have been lots of gay male celebrities that women have thought were attractive.

Mathman

That's what I mean about "so what?" If the posters have an issue with orientation explain it so that we can take it beyond the tabloid use.

Joe

nicole_l

Final Flight
No one will answer that so it's time to move on to Johnny's quads. Can he do one and will he?
I definitely think that he's capable of doing one in practice. Hopefully he'll try one at 4CC before Worlds, or at a GP next year before Nationals and the Olympics.
Here's the thing: although Johnny could theoretically compete in 3 Olympics--2006 (at age 21), 2010 (at age 25), and 2014 (at age 29), he probably won't stay healthy for 9 more years, and it's probably not a good idea to be looking ahead to when you're 29 (in terms of still being skating, you'd got to really adopt the "I'm lazy" strategy).
So, he really wants to win this next one. After Worlds we'll have a better idea of what will happen in Turino, but right now it looks like without a quad, Johnny isn't much of a match for Plushenko.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Johnny

I think Johnny can do a quad, but whether he will ever get a reliable one is questionable. Without it, Silver is the highest he will get on the Worlds podium.

Johnny is pretty flamey and is probably gay. He also is a great skater and he seems comfortable with himself -- good for him. If more people were comfortable with differences, there would be less homophobia.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Joesitz said:
That's what I mean about "so what?" If the posters have an issue with orientation explain it so that we can take it beyond the tabloid use. Joe
I have absolutely no problem with anyone's sexual orientation. From a purely socialogical standpoint, I was merely curious to know why he is viewed as a teen heartthrob, when to the best of my recollection, Rudy Galindo was certainly never viewed in that manner, even when he was skating with Kristie.