Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
You're joking, right???

IDLERACER said:
I have absolutely no problem with anyone's sexual orientation. From a purely socialogical standpoint, I was merely curious to know why he is viewed as a teen heartthrob, when to the best of my recollection, Rudy Galindo was certainly never viewed in that manner, even when he was skating with Kristie.
I know you have a great sense of humor, so I assume you're joking here. If you're serious, then I totally don't get your point. I may be old, but I can sure remember the teen heart throbs of my day. It had everything to do with a particular "look," in addition to some sort of "start quality" whether it was a young actor, the QB of the football team, or whatever that appeals to young teenage girls of the era. What does any of that have to do with sexual orientation????? If Rudy wasn't considered a teen "heart throb" (and I don't know if he was or not in younger days) then I imagine it had to do with whatever "look" + "star quality" the teen girls of that day were interested in.

And just so my comments will not be mis-interpreted, I am *with* all of those who say SO WHAT?? and WHO CARES?? with respect to athlete's private lives.

DG

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Sexual Orientation

Pardon my ignorance... don't you have to be having sex to have a sexual orientation? Methinks all these young athletes are far to busy with their skating careers...
Linny

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there are a few people on the net that find Rudy cute/hot... I'm not one of them, but again it's just personal taste as he's certainly very far from being "ugly" by anyone's standards...

as far as Johnny's quads go... I really don't know, sometimes I wonder if he thinks with enough artistry he can surpass the international skaters like he can in the US... but then I guess he was working on the quad in Portland so what do I know :laugh: I do think he is more artistic/better artistically than Plushenko though... but I've always thought Plushenko's artistry was over rated :laugh:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Ravyn's Rant for today...

Joesitz said:
That's what I mean about "so what?" If the posters have an issue with orientation explain it so that we can take it beyond the tabloid use.

Joe

Thank you, Joe. I'm so incredibly sick of the speculation as to the sexual orientation of Johnny and others. It's nearly enough to make me stop reading this board. Homophobia is ugly, ignorance is worse, and I'm finding those who display both to be increasingly irritating.
If any of you are truly concerned as to whether or not certain figure skaters are gay, and the notion bothers you, you should probably find another sport to obsess about, because figure skating is riddled with homosexuals and has been for many years. Get over it. Please.
If you really can't get over it, all I ask is that you keep it to yourselves.
xoxo,
Rave

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I believe the answer to your question is "no."

Linny said:
Pardon my ignorance... don't you have to be having sex to have a sexual orientation? Methinks all these young athletes are far to busy with their skating careers...
Linny
However, I will make no further comment as the sexual preferences of figure skaters is something I don't care about.

DG

Kasey

Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
(Said the woman who had an enormous crush on David McCallum [Ilya Kuryakin on "The Man from UNCLE" for the young-uns among you] as a young girl.)

Me too!! :) But why is this in this topic? Is David McCallum gay? Or is he....he couldn't be....oh my goodness NO...A figure skater? :biggrin:

Lol,

Kasey

Casper

Rinkside

Not necessarily. Sexual orientation refers to a tendency of thought or general inclination. One does not have to act upon it to be considered as having that orientation.

sk8m8

Final Flight
In answer to the "socialogical" aspect of young girl's attraction to JW, I remember a great quote from Martha Quinn (of ex-MTV DJ fame) when she was cast opposite the guy who played either Peter or Bobby on the "dramedy" called THE BRADY'S...she was asked that if was really true that she had a crush on him when she was a young teen. She replied yes. They asked her WHY???
She replied with a very thoughtful answer, something along the lines of " when young guys fantasize about girls it's ' I'd like to _____her', and when girls fantasize about guys it's 'I'd like to marry him' " It's a telling tale about how (generally) males are externally driven and females are often internally driven or motivated.

I still don't see what's so compelling to cause so much commotion about "whether_____is gay or not" and why people say "_____ is prancy" (when I think they are trying to imply 'Nancy'...a old slang term for gay) I think it's funny. Barishnikov is straight and Nureyev was gay. Both performed with grace and athleticism. Neither had to prove themselves on a stage per their sexuality, yet in the figure skating world it seems to make a huge difference. Why? I would guess it would be the "socialogical bias" that if men compete, gay men can't be competitive. I've never seen a derogetory remark about women having "masculine" programs...less than graceful, yes, "butch" no...but then again guys seem to get off on gay girls, and women don't seemed to be threatened by them.

Can you imagine the firestorm that would ensue if someone even hinted at something like "well, MK isn't married, and she is nearing 25, we've only heard of one boyfriend she has and she didn't last long with him maybe it's a coverup, and my god did you see the muscle mass she's put on??? I betcha, no, I can say for sure that shes "funny"...but by the way, that doesn't bother me because I don't care about people's sexual preference"

The point is, when you even mention "gay" and a skaters performance, you denegrate them. Once has nothing to do with the other. Yet time after time it surfaces, and then you can't win for losing....Mike Weiss has been criticized for years about "showing how straight he is by parading his wife and family around.'
It reminds me of the comedian who stated "in all those old movies we had our ideals and our turn offs...who knew Rock Hudson would turn out to be gay and Tony Randell was straight!" \

I can really see why boys REFUSE to go into figure skating when we have such "socialogical queries" about anyone who's male and steps on the ice. Many men have hangups about their own "masculinity" as it is, if we keep on having posters consistantly commenting on skater's sexual preferences, then don't expect any but the most secure boys to sign up for the program. It's hard enough to step out on to the ice with the equivalent to knives attached to boots and then attempt to jump and spin, if you're reputation's going to take a beating too it's easier to play soccer ....or go shopping. Ramblings as usual, your sk8m8

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
Me too!! :) But why is this in this topic? Is David McCallum gay? Or is he....he couldn't be....oh my goodness NO...A figure skater? :biggrin:

Lol,

Kasey
No, but he was safe and androgynous, at least to my 9-or-so-year-old eyes. :laugh:

Master B, I do not understand why you feel so threatened by Johnny's costumes. He's not making you wear them. (?)

Mathman

MasterB

Final Flight
Not so

MathMan

I am threatened by Johny, because he is now the poster boy for male figure skating in this country and it pissess me off.

Casper said:
Not necessarily. Sexual orientation refers to a tendency of thought or general inclination. One does not have to act upon it to be considered as having that orientation.
According to what has been written about the clergy and gays is: Catholics and Jews want them to be celibate because they realize that is their orientation. Many christian sects insist they go for a cure. It's like if you have blue eyes you can go for a change and get brown contacts. It's that easy. :yes:

My question: How well does a "celibate" or "cured" gay skater skate?

Joe

BittyBug

On the Ice
MasterB said:
I am threatened by Johny, because he is now the poster boy for male figure skating in this country and it pissess me off.
It pisses you off that impeccable technique, wonderful carriage and extension, and incredible flow over the ice is the standard for male figure skating in the US????? :rolleye:

I have to say that I am stunned and sickened by the homophobia expressed in this thread. Perhaps some of you who are so obsessed with skaters' sexual orientations see something of yourselves out there on the ice and you're not yet comfortable with it. Whatever the reason, I'd wish you'd check your hangups at the door before you post.