Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's "Unchained Melody" Program

Vitacus

Rinkside
I'm a fan of Weir's exquisite skating but I must admit that although 'Unchained Melody' is beautiful skating, it didn't really grab my attention the way I had hoped. I found myself eyeing a spot on the wall thinking I should change wallpaper for the 100th time -- still haven't gotten to it by the way. The program, no matter how exceedingly sugar sweeeet it was, didn't present anything new choreography-wise. In all honesty -- I am dead tired of that love song and I was sort of disappointed in his choice of exhibition music.

Really, it can't go wrong with 'Unchained Melody' -- the safest and most recognizable and among the oldest most popular in its genre.

You can give me a pair of skates and I could skate to 'Unchained Melody' and everyone would sorta cheer once they've got over the initial shock that is -- and block me out. :laugh: That song in particular brings forth all sorts of sentimental memories in people, really...

What's the challange in that? Sigh.

Just my two cents, :indiff:

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm personally glad...

...that Johnny apparently spent the season focusing on his competitive programs. I don't try to evaluate ANY competitive skater's exhibition programs like I try to evaluate what they do in front of the judges. Once they go pro, that's different. Anyone else like me in that regard???

DG

Vitacus

Rinkside
Doggygirl said:
...that Johnny apparently spent the season focusing on his competitive programs. I don't try to evaluate ANY competitive skater's exhibition programs like I try to evaluate what they do in front of the judges. Once they go pro, that's different. Anyone else like me in that regard???

You've got a point there.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
MasterB said:
I am threatened by Johny, because he is now the poster boy for male figure skating in this country and it pissess me off.

I take it that YOU outskating Johnny and winning the title is not an option?

S

SkateFan4Life

brad640 said:
Johnny seems to be a very introspective skater to the point that he is thrown off if the audience is too responsive to his programs. In the short program at the end of the circular footwork the crowd started to cheer and he had a minor stumble and they were quiet again. It was even more noticable in the long. He had finished all his jumps and when he went into the straight line footwork the crowd sounded like it was going to cheer loudly all the way through, but he had another stumble that quieted the response. He also talked about "going into his own world" to train for worlds.

Interesting observation. I've noticed that Johnny seems to be in his own little world, mentally, when he skates. It's as if he closes his mind to everything that's outside there and just concentrates - it's just him and the ice. In a number of interviews, he's said, (to paraphrase) "I just wanted to skate well for me". Truly, he seems to skate for himself, and that's the way he does it.

On the other hand, he really needs to learn to handle the audience reaction. If the noisy crowd reaction bothers him so much that he makes mistakes during his competitive programs, than perhaps he needs to become even more introspective and totally block out EVERYTHING. :biggrin:

Many skaters are inspired when the audience cheers for them. But Johnny seems to be a "different" sort of skater in that respect.

I remember reading Brian Orser's biography a number of years ago in which he wrote how the 1988 Canadian Olympic figure skating team had a week or so of intensive training in conditions that simulated "real" competitions. There were people who acted as noisy fans, pushy photographers, and rude television journalists who shoved microphones in their faces the second they stepped off the ice.

Maybe Johnny would benefit from this sort of simulation. Just a suggestion.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Vitacus said:
You can give me a pair of skates and I could skate to 'Unchained Melody' and everyone would sorta cheer once they've got over the initial shock that is -- and block me out. :laugh: That song in particular brings forth all sorts of sentimental memories in people, really..

LOL! yeah, it doe sbring out sentimental memories: pottery, Patrick Swazy, "ditto"... I love that song, and everytime I listen to it I feel the need to sing along. :)

IDLERACER

Medalist
Hikaru said:
LOL! yeah, it doe sbring out sentimental memories: pottery, Patrick Swazy, "ditto"... I love that song, and everytime I listen to it I feel the need to sing along. :)
People of a certain age, associate that track with the 1990 movie Ghost. People of a slightly more advanced age (like myself) remember when that rendition was a hit the first time, in the summer of 1965. Purists, however, prefer the original version by Al Hibbler from 1955 (before I was born).

Justafan

On the Ice
I thought it was an unusual choice for him for some reason. I liked it and it did fit his style but just seemed a bit odd. I would like to see him skate to something upbeat and see how it turns out.

IDLERACER said:
Purists, however, prefer the original version by Al Hibbler from 1955 (before I was born).
Or, indeed, the original version, performed by Todd Duncan in the 1955 movie "Unchained." This was a little noted prison movie starring Los Angeles Rams football player Crazylegs Hirsh. So the guy is in prison, wondering if his girl friend will still be around when he gets out. "Time goes by so slowly and time can do so much -- are you still mine?"

Todd Duncan, the first black singer of the New York City Opera, was famous for creating the stage role of Porgy in Porgy and Bess. He died in 1998 at age 95.

MM

Hikaru

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Or, indeed, the original version, performed by Todd Duncan in the 1955 movie "Unchained." This was a little noted prison movie starring Los Angeles Rams football player Crazylegs Hirsh. So the guy is in prison, wondering if his girl friend will still be around when he gets out. "Time goes by so slowly and time can do so much -- are you still mine?"

awwww stopt it! :cry: you're gonna make me cry with that story-line. Actually sometimes I do like movies that make me cry, but if you add UM to it, I think you've got waterworks guaranteed, at least with me :p

Ashwood

Spectator
TO: Doggiegirl;

When do you consider a skater has gone "Pro"? When they receive money, other than what they receive for a 1st,second etc place? Or do they have to be in an exhibition where there is no doubt that they are receive money for their skating? What about appearance fees? The skating world, and all other sporting activities changed around 1988 when the Olympic Committee changed the rules. So please clarify for me who is and who is not a "Pro". :think:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ashwood...

"Going Pro" was probably a poor choice of words to reflect what I meant. I fully understand the changes that occured where athletes can now retain amateur status, but within certain guidelines be paid for exhibition and show type events, as well as win prize money in competitive events.

What I really meant was that right now, I believe Johnny is at a stage in his career as an "up and coming" amateur where I assume his main training focus is his competitive programs. A contrast to his position would be someone like a Michelle Kwan (or a Todd Eldrige back when he was still maintaining eligible status) where they probably spend more time and also more $ on choreographers,etc. on exhibition type programs. I realize that Johnny has also skated on some tours. All I am really saying is that I don't expect the same level of choreographic detail, etc. in an exhibition program, especially for up and coming skaters.

This is all just assumptive on my part. I just assume that the time and resources spent on programs other than the competitive ones probably increases as a skater achieves more prominence at the National / World amateur level. I could be all wrong, and if I am you will not offend me if you correct me.

DG

Ashwood said:
TO: Doggiegirl;
When do you consider a skater has gone "Pro"? When they receive money, other than what they receive for a 1st,second etc place? Or do they have to be in an exhibition where there is no doubt that they are receive money for their skating? What about appearance fees? The skating world, and all other sporting activities changed around 1988 when the Olympic Committee changed the rules. So please clarify for me who is and who is not a "Pro". :think:
Young fans of figure skating do not understand what it was when skaters were constantly reminded about their amateur status . They haven't a clue as to what it was like to be basically unable to earn some money from skating. They were not even permitted to be rink rats. It was considered professional. the amateur status had to be kept in tact.

The young fans do know that things have changed, so they have renamed amateur as 'eligible' which makes sense. But they have a difficult time renaming professional since all skaters are professional nowadays. For myself, I consider the former Pros as 'show' skaters because that is what they do. Both 'eligible' and 'show' skaters make money and are both pros and some eligibles are making mucho moolah. :) It's certainly more than 'eligible'.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Technically a professional is a skater who loses eligible standing through his/her Federation and/or who participates in a non-ISU unsanctioned professional event. The exceptions are when an athlete is granted re-instatement, like for the 1994 Olympics when Witt, T&D, Boitano, Petrenko, M&D, G&G, etc. were allowed to compete. (They had to qualify for the National Team as well.) The pro events have pretty much gone up in smoke.

A skater can be a "show" skater and eligible, and not just on Champions on Ice. It's based on the National Federation rules. A US skater can perform in Stars on Ice, for example, and remain eligible, if s/he's gotten permission from USFS.

hockeyfan228 said:
Technically a professional is a skater who loses eligible standing through his/her Federation and/or who participates in a non-ISU unsanctioned professional event. The exceptions are when an athlete is granted re-instatement, like for the 1994 Olympics when Witt, T&D, Boitano, Petrenko, M&D, G&G, etc. were allowed to compete. (They had to qualify for the National Team as well.) The pro events have pretty much gone up in smoke.

A skater can be a "show" skater and eligible, and not just on Champions on Ice. It's based on the National Federation rules. A US skater can perform in Stars on Ice, for example, and remain eligible, if s/he's gotten permission from USFS.
I have read these explanations before but I'm an old curmudgeon and I know quite well that when you make money at any job be it as a Statistician or a Figure Skater, you are a Professional and eligible skaters for me are professional. They make money. They are no longer amateurs. The rest of the figure skaters are no longer part of the ISU except when their former federations deem they can do what they want. All I am looking for is a better definition of the adjective pro. :)

Joe

Matt

On the Ice
Once again, I have come into this post fashionably late :laugh:, and I have not seen JW's "UM" programme, but it sounds interesting and like I should prolly score a copy of it (unless he uses it for Worlds Gala).

As for everything else that has been said on this forum (if I may have a final two cents): I am a guy who has been dancing since the age of 8 1/2 who has had to deal with this ongoing debate (at times, personally) and I will say this: everything we should be paying attention to as FS fans (athleticism, grace, style, carriage, etc.) are all without gender. When a skater takes the ice or a dancer takes the stage, it is about the performance. Who the skater is is unimportant; he/she is simply the one performing the choreography. If, as a FS fan, you must critique something, critique the performance. If you cannot put it past yourself and be impartial, then I have no sympathy for you and you should either find another hobby or change the bloody channel.

I'm done...

Petlover

On the Ice
Matt, you are RIGHT ON! Well-stated, and puts the correct reasoning totally in perspective - good job!

Jessy

Spectator
At least there is someone in this forum who thinks reasonable!!! Ihave nothing to say..Matt, you've already said so. :rock:

Joanna

Jessy

Spectator
Thank you Mathman!!...i wanted to join to this forum in order to talk about figure skating which i like a lot, we can also argue..but that's all..it's not my style to discuss about personal lives of skaters..i dont'care..anyway thanks again for your welcome..and i'd also like to make folks!!! :agree:

Joanna