question about Junior/Senior events | Golden Skate

question about Junior/Senior events

guinevere

Final Flight
Looking at the assignments for Four Continents and Jr. Worlds has got me thinking: why are some skaters who have reached the Senior level still allowed to compete at Junior events? Is it because of the minimum age requirement for Seniors at international competitions? Is there a maximum age for a skater to compete at the Junior level? It seems like some of the men are skating Junior competitions as late as 18.

This has been nagging at me for a while, and I've never gotten around to asking about it.

Thanks!

guinevere

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
USFSA and ISU have different definitions of Junior/ Senior.

For USFSA, it's about the tests you pass. Once you pass the senior tests, that's it, you can never go back to juniors.

At the International scene, though, it's all about age, and it overlaps. Here is a quote :

The ISU's current age restrictions are:

* For ISU senior championships (Worlds, Europeans, and Four Continents) and the Olympic Games, competitors must have reached the age of 15 by the previous July 1st.

* For other international senior events, competitors must have reached the age of 14 by the previous July 1st.

* For all international junior events, competitors must have reached the age of 13 by the previous July 1st, but not yet 19 (except for men competing in pairs and ice dancing, where the upper limit is 21).

So, Meissner was qualified to compete at GP, but not at Worlds. Also, GP is the only series where a skater cannot compete as both junior and senior the same season - they have to choose. For Worlds, they can take part in both (as Griazev did last year).