What is your opinion on L&A's skating??? or relationship | Golden Skate

What is your opinion on L&A's skating??? or relationship

chania36

On the Ice
Hi,

I would like to know with you guys what you think of the L&A situation, they could not win a Canadian title even if it was within their reach since Sale and Pelletier are not there and I would of thought that they would be already for couple of years the top team, they had this thing that we do not know what, they had this special connection when they skated and you could sense that emotion, now last year was not the same but this year is even worse, I got the feeling that the problem is not their skating but beetween them, I hate to speculate, but they just do not seem happy, if they are not happy they will not skate properly­... they might be on the verge of a brake up here, I hope not I hope they can get a grip because this team is promissed to a great future and potentialy medal at the olympics, that is how good they were, 5 in the world two years ago, is not something to close your eyes on, they should of been highgher then that last year then 8th place, this is not good when you loose grounds each year because new couples come up in senior ranks and it can be surprising sometime.

I wish for them that they get the grip they need to have a better year next year since this will be an Olympic year and I hope they go a second time but with a chance of getting a medal. Good luck to them, their season is over, no worlds, they have time to work on what is going on....

Has for the winners of this years Canadian, M&B, I am happy for them but this couple just do not do nothing for me, they do not move me, I always felt that she had a bad posture, even sloppy at times. her shoulders seems always do be down, anyway, happy for them, but do not like their skating. that is all.

Let me know your opinion on L&A.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think they're just as frustrated as you are, and like the article that came out today said... this could either bring them closer together or rip them apart... I hope the former, rather than the latter happens, but who knows... I think their exhibition to Barbie Girl is tops, and they are a beautiful pair.... if only they could get over their mental block when it comes to their Nationals! :cry:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I think their pair stuff and 'in between' is fantasic but jumps do count and it seems like they have some sort of a mental block about the sbs jumps. I can't recall them having a great skate in a long time.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
IMO... they need to do more up beat LP's then maybe they would be more relaxed? Not sure if that is the answer... I'm sure now they will be taking a really good look at what they need to change.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I had started a thread about L&A - Beautiful pair to watch, yet... I think they are a beautiful pair to watch. However, it is frustrating to see them struggle so much especially at Canadian Nationals - this should be their "cake walk" as it were. They do well internationally. It is very frustrating for such a promissing pair to keep faltering every year at the national level.

I am not sure what the problem is - maybe they overtrain. They always look so serious when they take to the ice. She needs to learn to relax a little more. Maybe she is too nervous. It's really hard to say. I am sure they are looking for the answers themselves.

I always feel so disappointed for them when they do not achieve the results they want.

jan

On the Ice
It has been reported on Figure Skating Iniverse that they have split up!!!!!

Blade1

On the Ice
I read that as well over at Figure Skating Universe about a possible "split" between these two.

As a pair's team you have to be "A TEAM" and maybe that is where they lack. They don't "connect" on the ice !!!

Of course this suppose "split" is all speculation right now. According to some people its true. But until Skate Canada gives an Official Statement, I do wish them all the best.

Chele615

Rinkside
If based solely on what I saw at Canadians this past week during the practice sessions and whatnot, then I would venture a guess that the "split" is true. They did not seem happy all week. Very few words were said between the two and when it was outside of competition, they were not seen together at all. My friends and I were commenting on how they seemed like they were fighting...but if the rumors are true, it was much more serious than we would have thought.

Since I adore them, I hope that they are not splitting up. I think they need a change of scenery. They need to be somewhere with another top team that will push them to always be on top of their game. Although Jan seems like a nice coach that did a lot for Jamie and David and for Anabelle and Patrice when they first moved to him (2002-2003 was definitely a great and successful season for LangChetto), that might not be the best place for their skating right now...especially going into an Olympic year.

However, from the FSU reports, it pretty much seems like its true and that they did in fact break up. I wish them all the best in whatever decision they ended up making after nationals. :cry:

Kathleenie

Spectator
Ladskater said:
I
I am not sure what the problem is - maybe they overtrain. They always look so serious when they take to the ice. She needs to learn to relax a little more. Maybe she is too nervous. It's really hard to say. I am sure they are looking for the answers themselves..

I always thought that too, they always looked tense and uptight, she had a brooding look about her too.

It's very unfortunate, I always like them and preferred their skating above M&B and the others. They were very well trained, smooth and polished, but somehow they seemed to have either bad luck or bad nerves. I can't expain what it was.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
That's a shame. When I first saw those two a couple of years ago, I thought for sure we were looking at World medallists within the next two years. I had a feeling, tho, that if they had another bad Canadians (as I would refer to it on this side of the border :) ) it was probably going to be the end of the partnership.... :cry: :cry:

Saundy

On the Ice
It's Official...

They just announced it on TV a few minutes ago before the Parade of Champions went off the air. Patrice is retiring from skating. Very sad....I was looking forward to those 2....

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
It's now announced on the SC website. Says Patch will retire, Annabelle still to skate and looking for a new partner.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sk8n Mama said:
Hmmm.....nothing on their official site about a split or lack thereof.
don't get me started on the lack of updates... the webmaster also runs melissa and denis' site and fedor's... he's had server problems for close to a year now... *sigh*

Foxy

Rinkside
Here is an article from the Globe and Mail -

Skaters' off-ice split 'very hard to handle'

By BEVERLEY SMITH
Wednesday, February 2, 2005 - Page R11

Patrice Archetto's heart was breaking long before he and his partner, Anabelle Langlois, were dropped from Canada's world figure skating team 1½ weeks ago.

Two weeks before the Canadian championships in London, Ont., the pair ended their off-ice relationship and Langlois moved out of their apartment in Edmonton.

Archetto was always the dark, solid one, the silent partner, while tiny Langlois was his effervescent counterpart, all bright and funny, with a face that could light up a rink. Her words would tumble out like waterfalls, while his were from a hushed, hidden spring.

In the early days, he taught her to be a pairs skater. He's now 32, and she's 23.

They went to the Canadian championships with a cloud over their heads that nobody knew about. They agreed to hide their off-ice troubles.

"We didn't want it to be the subject of discussion during the week at Canadians," Archetto said. "The focus of skating would have been completely out and we would have had to deal with another problem."

For Archetto, it was hard to pretend. He hadn't wanted the off-ice relationship to end.

"It was very hard to handle," he said, "and very emotional to skate with her before going to Canadians and to be there at Canadians, trying to make everybody think we were still together, was very hard for me."

Did it affect his skating? Archetto marched bravely on and quietly did his job. Langlois missed a few things and said she hated herself for it. They finished third, but only two teams get to go to the world championships in Moscow.

Missing the world team wasn't the worst thing that could have happened to Archetto. "When I saw that, I didn't care any more," he said. "I dealt with so many emotions prior to Canadians, and at Canadians with all the stuff that I had, that was just the topping on the cake.

"I tried to do the best that I could. I realized that was it, and I had to move on."

Before they even faced the media, Archetto told Langlois that was his final Canadian championship.

On the Monday after the Canadian championships, Archetto called coach Jan Ullmark into a meeting. "And that was it," he said. "I quit."

Langlois is searching for a new partner and Archetto is helping her.

She's teamed up briefly with young skater Cody Hay, just to keep her pairs elements fresh and to do a skating show in Banff, Alta., this weekend. Archetto designed two programs for them.

And he's helping Ullmark with a couple of young pairs teams that are headed to the junior nationals in Sainte-Foy, Que., this weekend.

Langlois and Archetto were probably Canada's best pairs team that never won a national title. They were spectacular in finishing fifth at the 2003 world championships in Washington.

This year was supposed to be their crowning achievement, the year before the Turin Olympics. They changed their training and their preparation. But their path took an unexpected turn.

Last edited:

Blade1

On the Ice
I am actually surprised to read that he is actually helping her out and finding a partner. All the best to her in finding a perfect partner