Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Academy Awards Nominations Tomorrow

Academy Awards Nominations Tomorrow

I haven't a clue what time they will be announced publicly. I presume it will be early tomorrow morning for those who want to be the first one on the block to report back to Le Cafe.

I haven't seen the Aviator so I can not comment. I did see Sideways and it was a hoot. Loved Finding Neverland but that's a quiet beautiful film and i can't see Americans going for that.

Joe

Yes, the nominations are tomorrow at 8:30 am eastern time. I really hope Hotel Rwanda is recognozed. It was a great film with beautiful music.

the Academy awards have nothing to do with the American public...

in fact they have little to do with good filmmaking... it's just as political as ice dance judging (maybe more so! )

Custom Title
    Right you are, Tonichelle.

Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    Yes, the nominations are tomorrow at 8:30 am eastern time. I really hope Hotel Rwanda is recognozed. It was a great film with beautiful music.
    I agree brad, although I have not yet seen that film mostly because there was so much sad news going on during Tsunami and Angela's mother, etc., I put it off. Next couple of weeks, maybe.

however, I agree with Toni and Jill. The Academy Awards are very political for understanding the winners of this years films. I enjoy the individual category awards that have their own awards like the SAG's Award for best actors and supporting Actors - nothing else. This group is really a vote by actors only and producers, directors and big investors, are not permitted to vote. So if you see any adverts on the Sag Awards or the Director's Awards, etc., let us know.

Joe

The SAG awards are Saturday February 5 at 8pm eastern on TNT.

I don't remember who was being interviewed about the SAG awards last year, but they felt that it was the greatest honor and one of the only award "shows" they enjoy attending because it's for real, it's not just "a show" but there are actual "winners"

they also took a look behind the scenes of the awards and how they were done and what not. It was really cool.... wish I could remember who it was... Jennifer Garner maybe?

I think there is a 'Producers' award this week too.

That's the way it should be a vote of your immediate peers not just for the whole academy to vote (for the increase in revenues).

Joe

The only film I've seen so far this season is that will most likely be nominated is "The Aviator". It was entertaining but not a film I can recommend as a "must see"........42

I can't stand Leonardo DiCaprio (and I'll bet I spelled his name wrong LOL) he "acts" the same in every movie! He never emotes in his voice... it drives me nuts!

There've been a couple of exceptions, but that was more because while he was the "most important character" the supporting roles had bigger parts (ie Catch Me If You Can) Titanic, however, was so over hyped and did not deserve the number of awards it won that year (for that matter Moulin Rouge is NOT that great a movie either... what were the producers/director ON????)

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I don't think SAG or the Producer's Guild or the Director's Guild are that much better than the Oscars.

I mean people like Ray Romano are SAG voters...they can make bad choices just as likely as the Oscars do.

Also, the Producer's Guild can be very political considering these are the people who are spending the money of the films and you can bet the campaigning here can get personal between producers.

Keep in mind that the Director's Guild are not just full of talented directors, but also stage managers on tv shows also.

However, I do agree with you that in theory, having people in the fields vote for their categories are better than the whole Academy voting for categories they have nothing to do with. That is how their nomination process goes and that's why their choice in nominees are better than their choice in winners usually.

However, that's also the beauty in the Academy. The winner is really a film that was able to reach the most people in that group.

VT - I don't know if Mary Livingston (Jack Benny's wife) is still alive but she used to vote in every Academy Award because she was in a movie in 1933.

Joe

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    HOW ABOUT BEST SCORE, HUH?

I KNEW the second I heard The Village for the first time that it would be nominated, it is FIRST-RATE! He uses the instruments to create the creatures, it's wonderful.

Passion, it's about time Debney got nominated again. He deserves it, as much as I love The Village I would have to cast my vote for Passion, because Debney uses authentic instruments of the day. Not pleasant at all to listen to, but worthy of a nomination and win.

Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban! What can I say, I love this score, it was such a pleasant surprise to see that it qualified! I love the track Double Trouble.

Finding Neverland, ahhh one of my favorites. Very nice score, I've not seen the movie yet though so I can't tell how well it works with it.

I can't comment on Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, because I've niether seen nor heard it before. But I will say this: Thomas Newman has long been underappreciated, IMHO.

It seems any of these fine composers can win this one! Best of luck to all the nominees! I know I will cheer for whoever's name comes up (even moreso I think for James).

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    I can see what you mean. In 2001 for example I would have given the Best Picture Oscar to Moulin Rouge, and in 2003 I would have given it to The Pianist.

Custom Title
    I was disappointed that Hotel Rwanda did not get a best pic nom, but I was happy that Don Cheadle and Sophie O. got acting nominations. I can't believe The Aviator got 11 noms. I would not even put that movie on the best pic list, but I am not surprised that it got on that list. It may even win- that's the scary thought.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast