Academy Awards Nominations Tomorrow | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Academy Awards Nominations Tomorrow

brad640

On the Ice
VIETgrlTerifa said:
I loved Wicked, despite it's many flaws with the score and book. I became such a Kristin Chenoweth fan after that show.

I can't wait to see her in Bewitched this summer. Hopefully she will be able to break through in film. I was surprised that she is on West Wing now. Great for her because she got a Screen Actor's Guild nomination for ensemble. I wonder if she will be on the red carpet.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Vet! Too bad you only have Yahoo messenger! Though the fact that we spoke to each other so well makes me want to download it so we could chat!

Ahh, thank you for the info on why Aviator did not make Best Score. Yes, as I have not heard the score yet I can understand that. Shore had the same problem with The Two Towers.

I didn't see a lot of the foreign films nominated last year, but I DID see HERO, and let me say this:

Hero is one of the finest films I have ever seen!!!!!!

It's never easy to pick among the categories and get ALL correct. So here are my picks which mean absolutely nothing:

Aviator - Scorcese is over due for an Oscar and the producers will get a trophy.

Actor - Decaprio in line with the 'roll' Aviator will be on. Would prefer Depp.

Actress - Swank. You can add this name to those of: Hepburn, Davis, Streep.

Director - Scorcese as per above.

Support Actor - Morgan Freeman - Is this the category he is listed and not best actor because, imo, he is the best American actor in many a moon. He remindes me of Tracy who never really acted but just said lines like they were everyday speech. Freeman has that talent.

Support Actress - Virginia Madsen in that Pinot Noir romp. But, any of the ladies in Neverland if they are nominated would also be acceptable to me.

Disappointments - Sideways' Giambetti. No one else could pull that off. And if you take it as ensemble work, the supporting actors were all great.

Neverland will not win although it is a beautifully done old fashion film in the poetic way. But Americans are like that. Think of the boxoffice success of Fokkers.

BIG QUESTION - Which soundtrack will we be hearing in next year's skating programs?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the reason people either love or hate "Passion of the Christ" is because they hate the story... but that's a religious debate and not for this thread ;) I was not expecting it to make it big come Oscar time because Hollywood is anal like that. They'd rather reward Dicaprio's lack luster performances and crappy movies than ones with heart. (Moulin Rouge was bad, but personally Titanic was worse... way too long and way too stupid :laugh: James Cameron is another director who gets more hype than he deserves :laugh: )

Joe, I hope you're wrong when it comes to best actor... Depp is definitely more deserving of an award than Dicaprio... but again Hollywood is anal and the right people very rarely win.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Up until 1986 it was believed that Titanic went down whole by most people. That transferred on film. The 1997 blockbuster is the only film that shows the ship breaking in two before it sank.

Vash01

Medalist
I really hope DiCaprio does NOT win the best actor trophy. I love Johnny Depp, but IMO Jamie Foxx truly deserves it for 'Ray'. OTOH how many truly deserving actors have won for truly deserving roles? The list of 'should have's is very long (e.g. Hanks in Castaway, Crowe in Insider, Denzel in The Hurricane, and so on). They all won for lesser roles.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
anya_angie said:
Up until 1986 it was believed that Titanic went down whole by most people. That transferred on film. The 1997 blockbuster is the only film that shows the ship breaking in two before it sank.

yes and Jack Dawson went from a black coal worker on the ship to a white boy who drew naked women

do you know how many people my age think that Rose and Jack's story is true and that that necklace exists AND that it is still down there?

James Cameron brought the ship to life, but the graphics IMHO were horrible... the computerized blue is in everything... and Cameron worked more with rumor so that the ships workers were painted to be evil when in actuality they were just as much a victim as the passengers... the captain was also never really shown for the irresponsible person... most of the decisions were made by Victor Garber's character, another misconception as it was, in fact, the captain who decided that going full speed through the ice field was a good idea. Cameron liked how the rumor went better so he used it. It's all up for what sells, and I understand that... but as a young girl who was in love with the story I guess it really pissed me off

that and the fact that Cameron thinks he and others have every right to dig the ship up really ticks me off. I'm one of those that believes she belongs forever down there as a memorial... I don't see anyone digging up the ships in Pearl Harbor... but I guess that's different :rolleye:

and I once again go into a titanic rant... I really should get some therapy for this... I think it comes up every year on this thread :laugh:

nicole_l be glad I can't ban you for saying such awful things :laugh: :rofl: ;) :laugh: j/k!!!!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
BIG QUESTION - Which soundtrack will we be hearing in next year's skating programs?

Joe

Tho it wasn't nominated :sheesh: , I wouldn't be surprised to see the waltzlike score from "Stepford Wives" (actually called "The Stepford Waltz") in a few Dance programs next season. Just think of the interpretation if done right -- there are definitely a couple of female ice dancers who could VERY WELL pull off a Stepford Wife.....

JonnyCoop said:
Tho it wasn't nominated :sheesh: , I wouldn't be surprised to see the waltzlike score from "Stepford Wives" (actually called "The Stepford Waltz") in a few Dance programs next season. Just think of the interpretation if done right -- there are definitely a couple of female ice dancers who could VERY WELL pull off a Stepford Wife.....
:rofl: It's not the type of film I would see, but the waltz may be interesting to hear. I definitely want to see those Stepford Skaters :laugh:

Joe.

mike79

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
yes and Jack Dawson went from a black coal worker on the ship to a white boy who drew naked women

do you know how many people my age think that Rose and Jack's story is true and that that necklace exists AND that it is still down there?

Here in Halifax we have a large gravesite with over 100 Titanic victims. It was really weird when the movie was out that a lot of teenage girls were going to the real Jack Dawson gravestone and leaving their movie stubs!

I personally thought that Cameron did a great job with Titanic. Sure he took liberties with it, but what director doesn't. Toni, if you're a Titanic buff I suggest that you watch the 1950's movie A Night to Remember based on the book by Walter Lord. It's an excellent film that's very true to the real story.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
My main problem with Titanic was it's horrible screenplay. It was so bad that not even Winslet could look good in that role.

Regarding Passion of the Christ, the movie was just bad. It was the usual Gibson forumla...suffering hero with over-the-top superficial evil bad guys spouting bad dialogue and being overly cheesy along the way with lots and lots of violence and blood. Since it was about Jesus, Gibson felt he would spill as much blood and violence as he can because nobody would condem a movie about Jesus. I'm still shocked with the number of parents who took their kids to see it, despite it's over the top graphic violence, because it was about Jesus walking of the cross. I have to give to Gibson though, he knows what the American public would buy.

I'm glad that the Academy actually showed some taste and almost shut it out. No matter what your religion is, I think most people would agree that Jesus deserved a better movie.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
My main problem with Titanic was it's horrible screenplay. It was so bad that not even Winslet could look good in that role.

Regarding Passion of the Christ, the movie was just bad. It was the usual Gibson forumla...suffering hero with over-the-top superficial evil bad guys spouting bad dialogue and being overly cheesy along the way with lots and lots of violence and blood. Since it was about Jesus, Gibson felt he would spill as much blood and violence as he can because nobody would condem a movie about Jesus. I'm still shocked with the number of parents who took their kids to see it, despite it's over the top graphic violence, because it was about Jesus walking of the cross. I have to give to Gibson though, he knows what the American public would buy.

I'm glad that the Academy actually showed some taste and almost shut it out. No matter what your religion is, I think most people would agree that Jesus deserved a better movie.

ITA about the Titanic bit

but Gibson's "cheesy dialogue" came straight out of the Gospels... so if you find it cheesy oh well... he kept it true to teh story/book

and Jesus didn't walk off the cross... He died there... He walked OUT OF the Tomb ;) just had to get that in there ;) :laugh: and the bloody scenes are pretty true to what would have gone on.... Jesus was beaten (it was recorded in the Bible and I think a records book or something) severely and more times than most men would have been... yeah it was bloody, but everyone knew that going in...

I agree that parents were really weird about letting their kids see it... pastors up here said to not take their kids until they'd seen it and then go from there... the arguement of some has been that they've seen how much violence on TV and movies? At least this one is a "true" depiction of what their Lord and Savior suffered through.

I have seen it twice... once because I wanted to the second time because my best friend didnt want to go in alone... I watched both times by looking down at the floor... I only watched the flashback scenes... this is the only movie I can't watch because of the violence/gore... I guess it's the religious significance...

Mel Gibson did some heavy research on this.... went through a lot of arguments too with religious leaders because he didn't want to put the subtitles on the movie... I think the Southern Baptists were the ones who made the biggest stink over that... if we're watching a movie we should at least understand what the heck we're saying...

there was another group who said that instead of subtitles he should put the Bible verses that go with the scene... but Mel said something about if that happened the movie theatres would have to keep the lights up and people wouldn't hear what was said because of all the page turning... :laugh: :rofl:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:

Gosh they must not read or watch Oprah very much! Of course I always thought that Jack was completely fictitious, so I guess that shows how much I know.

A Night To Remember, another Best Picture winner. *grin*

In terms of the history of the Oscars, I would say that West Side Story deserved every one of its awards, as did An American In Paris. However, it's rather sad that Singing In The Rain was not rewarded, as that is perhaps the greatest musical movie of all time.

Re: Passion... I wouldn't say it deserved to be shut out completely, because Debney's score, while unpleasant, fit its film more than one would think.

At least this was not written by Wallace. Can you believe Pearl Harbor? Now THAT is is a bad movie. The score lacked the emotional impact necessary for people to care about it, the fictional love triangle was something that I already saw in a time-travel episode of Boy Meets World, and Cuba Gooding's part was far too small for his calibur. There was too much fiction and not enough history.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
ITA about the Titanic bit

but Gibson's "cheesy dialogue" came straight out of the Gospels... so if you find it cheesy oh well... he kept it true to teh story/book

I guess you'd know more than me, but please tell me where in the bible did it say that Jesus invented high tables with high chairs. I had no idea Jesus did that. I guess Jesus being as he is wasn't good enough, Gibson had to make things up to make him more appealing.

and Jesus didn't walk off the cross... He died there... He walked OUT OF the Tomb just had to get that in there and the bloody scenes are pretty true to what would have gone on.... Jesus was beaten (it was recorded in the Bible and I think a records book or something) severely and more times than most men would have been... yeah it was bloody, but everyone knew that going in...

I didn't say he walked off the cross, I said it was the walking of the cross. "Off" has two "f"s. About him being beaten severly, I have know it says he was, but I really do not believe he was beaten as severely as Gibson portrayed. Nobody would have been able to walk with that heavy cross on his back if they were beaten the way Gibson showed. Even my Priest felt that Gibson over-did it just to get raw reaction from the audience. I hate the Gibson wanted to exaggerate the beating just to get people all riled up. I don't understand why he couldn't show a more accurate and believable portrayl of the walking of the cross considering that a realistic beating would have been more than enough to show how much Jesus suffered.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
re: Titanic

First of all, I swear the thing was just a VERY EXPENSIVE excuse to show Kate Winslet in a wet dress.

However, the main thing that got me was the "tragic ending"; had Kate Winslet not been spread out on that bed headboard like something out of a Calvin Klein Eternity ad, there would have been PLENTY of room for both her and diCaprio on it and he probably wouldn't have drowned..... :laugh: :laugh:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
First of all, I swear the thing was just a VERY EXPENSIVE excuse to show Kate Winslet in a wet dress.

However, the main thing that got me was the "tragic ending"; had Kate Winslet not been spread out on that bed headboard like something out of a Calvin Klein Eternity ad, there would have been PLENTY of room for both her and diCaprio on it and he probably wouldn't have drowned..... :laugh: :laugh:

If Dicaprio's character had survived, you can bet that him and Winslet's character wouldn't be together anymore. It was a heated and passionate relationship, but shallow and young. They probably would have broken up once they settled in America. But then that's the dark side of love that Cameron doesn't want to show.

MOONPIE48

Rinkside
The passion

What really drove me nuts about all the claims of "historic accuracy" was that Jesus was NOT A WHITE BOY. Think of where he lived, he was a man of colour.
As a person of faith, i prefer to focus on the message of peace and compassion that i get from the teachings of Jesus. Jesus (to me anyway) is about so much more then what the Passion was about, why leave out the reason for the sacrifice.
I had a wonderful pastor who once told me that if it was proved to him without a doubt that Jesus never existed it would not change his belief in the message of Jesus one bit.
I liked that, but i know that is me and how i choose to live my live and how i choose to worship the creator.
happy weekend everyone!
peace and i wish warmth to everyone in all the cold places (like NYC right now)
moonpie

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
MOONPIE48 said:
What really drove me nuts about all the claims of "historic accuracy" was that Jesus was NOT A WHITE BOY. Think of where he lived, he was a man of colour.
As a person of faith, i prefer to focus on the message of peace and compassion that i get from the teachings of Jesus. Jesus (to me anyway) is about so much more then what the Passion was about, why leave out the reason for the sacrifice.
I had a wonderful pastor who once told me that if it was proved to him without a doubt that Jesus never existed it would not change his belief in the message of Jesus one bit.

:rock: