FAVORITE WORLDS PERFORMANCE OR MEMORY | Golden Skate

FAVORITE WORLDS PERFORMANCE OR MEMORY

B

BronzeisGolden02

FAVORITE WORLDS PERFORMANCE OR MEMORY

Its that time of year again and I am getting flustered with extreme excitement. Worlds is always such an intense competition and if the athletes are nervous, I sometimes feel like I am just as or more nervous! LOL! This years Worlds promises to leave us with many special performances and memories. That makes me think of Worlds past and what my favorite moments were. So, I'll go with two that I'll always remember and that hold a special place for me.

1. 1996 Worlds - Chen Lu and Michelle's battle. Sorry, I know it has been rehashed a thousand times on this board, but that incredible rivalry drew me into figure skating without a second look back. I'd say of all the Worlds I've seen, that one sticks with me the most.

2. 2001 Worlds - Michelle Kwan's free skate. SOTBS never became a classic program for me. I didn't particularly love the music and I thought Lori Nichols' choreography was becoming stale. And, my favorite skater seemed to be having a rough season in 2000-2001. She didn't perform the program very well in the Grand Prix series and even though it was good, I just felt her U.S. Nationals performance would never stack up to Irina. She was on fire during the 2000-2001 season. I fully expected her to win the title at the 2001 Worlds. And then Michelle came out and skated a program I didn't like and made me respect it. She had such an elegant fire and attack to her that night. I was beyond thrilled when she won the gold. It just showed me I should never doubt Michelle. (LOL, sorry, probably should be on the MKF, but they don't really seem to appreciate my objective views!)

L

Ladskater

Re: FAVORITE WORLDS PERFORMANCE OR MEMORY

Kurt Browning - Return To Casablanca program - it took me to another level in figure skating. It was amazing.

Torvill and Dean - Mac and Mabel program and the following year Barnum - They redefined ice dance for me.

Karen Mangussen - Winning the 1973 Worlds after the big build up about Janet Lynn. Karen captured the gold and won the hearts of everyone.

There are lots more, but at the moment I am too tired to think. Every Worlds holds some memory for me.

Ladskater

C

cazzer

Memories

My favourites are:

1987 - Brian Orser winning after coming in second so many times (and i got to see it in person!)

1984 - Underhill & Martini - after blowing it so badly at the '84 Olympics.

I guess I have a soft spot for comeback kids!

W

WindSpirit5

All that I can remember right now:

<strong>Yags' SP (Revolution Etude) in 2001</strong> - he was so alive in it and exhibited such joy of skating, it was unforgettable.

D

DORISPULASKI

Torvill and Dean in 1984 Ottawa, both the OSP Paso Doble and Bolero.

cazzer, I was lucky to be there for 1984's Underhill and Martini win. OUTSTANDING!! Another favorite memory.

1984 was definitely my very favorite worlds.

But some other good memories are:

Debi Thomas's 1987 win over Kat Witt.

1996 men's with Todd in 1st, Kulik in 2nd and Rudi in 3rd. What great skating!!

Midori Ito's win with the triple axel in Paris

Michelle vs. Lulu in 1996. Both skated amazing programs.
I liked Michelle's SP better, but LuLu's LP better.

(1996 would be my second favorite worlds).

dpp

J

Joesitz

Anything John Curry skated. He changed not only the way men skated and influenced Cranston, imo, but all skaters.
Even TT agrees with this.

Joe

S

shadair

All of Michelle's are always favorites of mine. The year the Duchesnays won the World's with Missing II is one of my very favorites. It was a very exciting skate and the crowd absolutely loved them. I still get goosebumps when I watch it. :D

D

diamondqueen

1984 Torville & Dean's breathtaking Bolero(the best ice dancing pair ever)

1988 The Battle of the Brian's

1996 Todd's big then life skating. Wow is the best way to describe his performance.

1996 The spectacular and beautiful skating of Michelle and Chen Lu. Ladies skating at is best.

2000/01 Michelle skating with heart and coming from behind to win.

diamond:D

J

Jaana

1996 Worlds - Ilia Kulik winning the short programme although he was the second to skate and still relatively unknown. Now and then the judges do something right, LOL.

Marjaana

R

Raelynne

1996 Worlds: I didn't think Michelle could beat Lulu, no matter who well she skated. I'm glad I was wrong. :p :D

1998 Worlds: Tonia K's farewell to the eligable skating/the wonderful skate she didn't think she would ever get to do. :D

Meno and Sand winning the short program and winning silver overall. :D

D

Dee4707

It was the 2001 Worlds that changed my opinion of Evengi. I always thought prior to 2001 that he was a little arrogant but always really liked his skating. It was always wonderful when competitions had both Alexei and him and their alleged rivalry. Anyhow, it was when Evgeni skated <em>Once Upon A Time in America</em> and he was magnificent. At the end of his skate he was nearly in tears. He won and he deserved to win. How my opinion changed is that I think he is very focused, works very hard, raises the bar for himself to be the best and is rather shy (which I interpreted for arrogance).

WindSpirit, I know what you mean about Alexei and Revolution Etude. I even loved Gladiator, though not a clean skate, it was done with passion.

Dee

R

rgirl181

Great topic, BronzeisGolden. Sorry I don't remember the pairs' and dance results by year as well as I do the ladies' and mens'.

'91 Worlds with the US ladies sweep.

'93 Worlds with Nancy's extreme meltdown in the long (dropping from first to fifth) and Oksana's almost out of nowhere win. The other thing I like about the result is that both Oksana and Nancy improved a lot by the '94 Olympics, Nancy because she never wanted to humiliate herself like that again in a competition (plus she overcame the knee injury) and Oksana because she went from moving like a gangly colt to a graceful young woman.

'94 when Yuka Sato won, redeeming her uncharacteristically poor Olympic performance and Surya Bonaly took off her silver medal in protest. Surya apologized later, but she sure provided a lot of rebellious entertainment during her eligible years. Also for Elvis Stojko's win and Candeloro's silver(?). Held in Japan, it started the Japanese love affair with Philippe. Also, this was the start of Grishuk and Platov's four-year reign as ice dance World champs. I love their "Rock 'n Roll" program and still think it was one of their best.

'95 when Chen Lu became the first Chinese skater ever to win Worlds. I loved her LP, choreographed by Toller Cranston, that used both traditional Chinese dance movements as well as those of modern figure skating.

'96 Worlds because of the guys. Todd was absolutely on fire and skated one of the best LPs at Worlds I've ever seen. Ilia because he was young and still a little raw and inconsistent, but in both the short and the long, he skated sensationally. Some of the most beautiful (and I do mean beautiful as in aesthetically breathtaking) jumping I've ever seen. Also, an exciting order since Todd seemed to have the gold nailed and no one really expected Ilia, who skated last, to be clean. As Ilia hit one jump after another and was clearly on, there was a building excitement of, "OMG! Could he upset Todd?!" Todd rightfully won, but it was great that both he and Ilia skated so well. And last but certainly no least, Rudi Galindo. He wasn't even expected to make the team and although his LP didn't have the fire it had at Nationals, he skated very well and won a much deserved bronze. I still get a little teary-eyed when I think of Rudi's reaction when he learned he'd won the bronze (for him, it was like gold). He'd been through so much and to see him triumph like that was really wonderful. '96 Worlds is usually remembered for the ladies, and rightfully so, but for me it was the men of '96 who still light my fire;)

I forget the year ('97?), but Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze's first win at Worlds. They were so beautiful and Elena's recovery was so amazing.

Another year I forget, but the first year Bourne & Kraatz made the podium. Also '97 when Anissina & Peizerat did "Romeo & Juliet," '98 with "Man in the Iron Mask," and '99(?) when they did "Carmina Burana." With B&K, I remember their ice dancing in general more than specific programs--such incredible flow and deep, soft knees--whereas with A&P I remember them more for specific programs.

There are others of course, but those are some off the top of my head.
Rgirl

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">I must agree with Dee that the men in 2001 were simply magnficent. Gladiator is my favorite program by Alexei, and I could babble for hours about Evgeni's OUTIA. Wow. I remember watching that on Eurosport and being out of my chair the whole time. :)

Raelynne, I remember Tania K's last skate, too. I thought it was great that she got that in.

Cheers,

Laura :) </span>

H

heyang

It was a nailbiter, but my favorite was 96 World's between MK and LuLU. It's always great to see the competitor's at their best. They both gave magical performances that night and the decision could've gone either way.

L

Lcp88

I loved Alexei's Gladiator and Man in the Iron Mask, Nearly cried at Bourne and Kraatz's Riverdance and Michael JAckson (Just because I thought at the time it would be their last Worlds preformance), and was SO proud of Takeshi Honda when he finished his 02 LP.
I also loved Salome of MK's and Sasha Abt's Wonderful World ex.
Laura

L

Ladskater

Joesitz:

I have to disagree with you about Curry influencing Cranston. It was the other way around! There was that rivalry and question of who influenced whom? But Toller hit the scene before Curry and influenced a generation of male skaters. Toller always claimed that Curry copied him.

Ladskater

C

Crazy4ShaeAndVic

Greetings everyone!!! I just registered and have no idea what I am doing! As you can tell by my name I LOVE Shae-Lynn and Victor!!!!! Go Shae and Vic...and that's all I have to say about that!Ü -Michelle

C

Crazy4ShaeAndVic

I just wanted to say "HI LAURA!!!!!" I have my own account...so HA!!! JK. So, to everyone else out there Shae and Vic 4-ever...AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT.

K

Kasey

Alexei Yagudin in 1999, the "Lawrence of Arabia" program...the 1998 and 2000 Worlds, he had mistakes and some problems, but managed to hold on...this one, he took it right from the first notes of music, and finished off the hopes of everyone else by the time he was done....

Also, Todd Eldredge in 1996, taking off his medal and putting it around his mom's neck.........

M

mathman444

Hi, Crazy. Welcome to the forum.

Well, since this is supposed to be a thread about your favorite moment from Worlds, I'll put you down for: My Favoite Worlds Moment was when Bourne and Kraatz won the 2003 worlds championship in Washington, D.C.;)

Mathman