Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sasha could have been a 3-time Nats Champion and 3-time World medalist

Custom Title

Sasha could have been a 3-time Nats Champion and 3-time World medalist

Think about this. Had Michelle retired after SLC, Sasha could have been a 3-time Nats champion. It just got me thinking if this is the main contributing factor to the animosity of some Sasha fans have towards Michelle. I do strongly feel Sasha is too much of a raw talent not to win a major competition. Unfortunately, she doesn't have yet what it takes to win it. Too bad because this is a sport not beauty contest or talents scouting contest.

Michelle has been lambasted left, right, centre for playing it safe and still winning. Here is the thing, if Michelle had retired after SLC, Sasha could have won 3 Nats with those flawed programs each of which had at least one or 2 falls. Now, would she be lambasted for presenting flawed programs and still winning? I have too much time on my hands. This is just for thoughts.

*Edited to delete one-time world champion. A mistake.
    Last edited by apache88; 01-26-2005 at 01:36 AM.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I'm trying to figure out how one would arrive at the conclusion that with Kwan out of the picture, Cohen would have one World title under her belt. She didn't even get on the podium at Worlds until last year, and she was runner-up not to Kwan, but to Arakawa. Even taking Kwan out of the picture at the last 3 Worlds wouldn't put Cohen any higher than 2nd at any of them, unless there is some strange formula I'm just not picking up on...... ????

Minority member
    Jonnycoop,

I agree with you. 3 National titles seem realistic but not the world title.
    Apach, here is Sasha's Placements at the last 3 world championships.

QR SP LP FR(Final results)
    2 4 4 4
    1 3 4 4
    1 2 3 2

Custom Title
    Jonnycoop & Excidra, oops my bad. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I was always under this impression that Sasha was a world silver medalist before 2004.

average opinionated skate fan
    ...in addition, Sasha was the Bronze medalist in 2003 behind Kwan and Hughes. Who's to say Hughes may have done much better at that worlds if she had carried the national champion title into Worlds Competition that year. Just a though...

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Excidra2001
    Jonnycoop,

I agree with you. 3 National titles seem realistic but not the world title.
    Apach, here is Sasha's Placements at the last 3 world championships.

QR SP LP FR(Final results)
    2 4 4 4
    1 3 4 4
    1 2 3 2
    Your 2003 and 2004 Sasha placements are off.

In 2003 she was
    QR....SP..LP....FR

QR...SP..LP....FR
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-26-2005 at 03:32 AM.

More than likely Sasha would be a multiple Nats winner if MK was not around after Nagano. But I am also thinking of Sarah who would also be around if she would have gotten Nats gold too? It becomes more when both Sarah and MK are not around.

Sasha has very good days from time to time and when she does she is very very good. She's still a contender in Moscow.

Joe

Down With It
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda...if MK was not present no doubt she would win Nats even with a disaster cause there's no one else that would challenge her. Until Kimmie, that is. Cohen may well find herself in 3rd next year. But I get the feeling that she likes MK there because it would mean even more to win AND beat the best in the process. I personally don't think she's a contender at worlds this year, but that's just what I think.

Down With It
    Think about this. Had Michelle retired after SLC, Sasha could have been a 3-time Nats champion. It just got me thinking if this is the main contributing factor to the animosity of some Sasha fans have towards Michelle. I do strongly feel Sasha is too much of a raw talent not to win a major competition. Unfortunately, she doesn't have yet what it takes to win it. Too bad because this is a sport not beauty contest or talents scouting contest.
    Having talent does not translate into capability to win the big ones. This is what I think some fans may not understand...it's toughness, both physically and mentally. Being able to do it in practice and exhibition is one...being able to do it in competition is one thing. And that's why the Big Three (SA, IS, MK) are so far ahead of Cohen. You can have all the talent in the world but if you haven't got the nerves, it's no good.

Custom Title
    Aside above said Sasha couldn't be National Champions 3 times, two times may be. She couldn't be world champion last year since Arakawa was the one took the spot.

And who knows what would happen, had Michelle retired after 2002. Sarah may chose stay in. Then there could be rivary between Sarah and Sasha. This is to say had Sarah chosen to stay in, she would get on ice every day trainning, stay in shape stay in competetive. You never know.

Perhaps she would have, but Michelle didn't retire, and she's still competing and at the top of her sport. Perhaps we should go on and speculate who else would have won such and such if so and so would have retired....It's kind of pointless if you ask me.

average opinionated skate fan
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan
    Perhaps she would have, but Michelle didn't retire, and she's still competing and at the top of her sport. Perhaps we should go on and speculate who else would have won such and such if so and so would have retired....It's kind of pointless if you ask me.

Agreeed Braveskatefan, sort of like that other post that's turned into a speculation-fest over johnny's sexual preference :sheesh:

Custom Title
    I don't think it's quite that simple.

The presence of Kwan was what drove Sasha. Her goal was always to beat Kwan, and without Kwan in the picture, and a couple of US titles (maybe) under her belt, she might have become complacent, and she might have finished lower at Worlds than she did when competing against Kwan.

On the Ice
    I suppose we'll never know.

Custom Title
    Sasha, has what it takes to win the Worlds and Olympics.. IT's just she has never been clean in the LP after acing the SP. If she was to pull both programs together...there is no doubt in my mind that her classical skating would be first. The international judges love Sasha's classic Russian-like skating..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast