Skating article in current issue of SI | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating article in current issue of SI

To me, what is objectionable about this article is not that it criticizes Kwan for "cautious skating," -- that is a legitimate opinion -- but rather its main point:

"By being so cautious, Kwan has held back skating in the U.S. because most youngsters tend to follow the lead of reigning champions."

I seriously doubt that there are a lot of little girls out there saying, I don't want to do a triple Axel because my hero Michelle doesn't do one.

Mathman

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Darned right! Those little girls at the ice rinks are hearing the buzz about Mao Asada, and they want to be just like her.

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
To me, what is objectionable about this article is not that it criticizes Kwan for "cautious skating," -- that is a legitimate opinion -- but rather its main point:

"By being so cautious, Kwan has held back skating in the U.S. because most youngsters tend to follow the lead of reigning champions."

I seriously doubt that there are a lot of little girls out there saying, I don't want to do a triple Axel because my hero Michelle doesn't do one.

Mathman

You can look at this another way. Anybody that has been following figure skating in the U.S., for as long as I can remember, I don't think therehas not been one skater that has not been compared to Michelle. In a young skater's eyes, if she can get all these 6.0's for not uping the ante,why would I abuse my body to try all these bigger and higher jumps.

That's an interesting point, Millie. Although I really don't think that young athletes think that way, maybe coaches do.

MM

chopstix

Spectator
hmm

it's funny because I've heard many arguements that since michelle is the standard for being artistic that the only way to surpass her is to raise the technical bar. If that is the case, can we at least give michelle .01% credit for raising both aspect of figure skating??? :rofl:

Crizzy

Rinkside
SWIFTer (the mop) doesn't really know what he's talking about. All the youngins know that there is no way they can outskate Michelle in presentation, so they try harder jumps ala Kimmie because that's the only way they can have an edge. If anything Michelle changed the face of figure skating when she premiered Salome, Taj, Lyra. Let's not forget, that Michelle is known for consistency, therefore many new generations are perfecting their technique to achieve consistency, better flow on their program and of course "the total package."

Russians and Japanese ladies landing quads and 3 axels left and right :rofl:
That was a hoot. Yes, some Japanese ladies are "attempting" to land 3 axels and quads but consistently, HUH! The Russian ladies are in a stagnant and the only lady I know who is consistent in her jumps is Irina but no quads or 3x. The only one whose leading the pack on the total package in Japan is Mao Asada and her 3 axel is good but not a powerhouse.

This guy is such a joke, I wonder where he got his info-
Figure Skating for Dummies :rofl:

eliza88

On the Ice
Most SI articles about figure skating tend to be annoying--but hey, every now and again they at least cover skating! I am not sure if it is the same writer who wrote about 2003 Worlds--but when Michelle won Worlds SI was singing her praises! I believe he compared Michelle's comeback to win World's so many times to Muhammad Ali regaining his World Championship titles.

eliza88

Well said, Chopstix. And welcome to the forum!

Hey, Crizzy, "Figure Skating for Dummies" by Kristi Yamaguchi is a great book! :rofl:

MM:)