Thread: Euro short programs, US Nats this weekend via ESPN on broadband - Free - invite

Hell's Librarian
    The restaurant at the end of the universe

Euro short programs, US Nats this weekend via ESPN on broadband - Free - invite

I just received this invitation from ESPN:

Buon Giorno!

Greetings from the European Figure Skating Championships....This weekend we have an opportunity we thought you all would be interested in checking out.

You can view the top three short program performances from each discipline at the European Figure Skating Championships on ESPN360, ESPN's new broadband service. Free access to ESPN360 begins Friday evening January 28th. Feel free to share this invitation with other Figure Skating Fans. [For] Instructions on how to install ESPN360...log on to ESPN360.com. Once you have installed and opened ESPN360, you can click on "search" and type in Figure Skating. You will find a variety of figure skating clips including programs from the US Figure Skating Championships and other competitions.

Be sure to catch our coverage of the European Figure Skating Championships on ESPN, Sunday, February 6 at 3:30 PM ET.

Patricia Lowry, Coordinating Producer - Figure Skating
    ESPN Remote Production

Interesting. Thanks.

Go NJ Devils
    It only works if your broadband provider has signed up with ESPN360.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    It only works if your broadband provider has signed up with ESPN360.
    And, of course, AOL isn't one of them...:sheesh:

Custom Title

This upcoming weekend is free for everybody

From their website:

ESPN360 is available to anyone who has a high-speed internet connection this weekend ONLY. After the free preview weekend, ESPN360 will only be available to customers whose high-speed internet providers have agreements with ESPN.

Yana

Thanks for posting this. It was nice to see the short programs from Europeans. It would be great if they had more than the top 3 available, but this seems like a good way to present additional content. However, Stephane Lambiel spins so fast that you could not see all the rotations over broadband! I was simply amazed by the spins in his short program. Yes he singled the axel and the technique was not solid on the other jumps, but his spins were far better than what anyone else is doing, including Weir and Buttle. Plushenko and Joubert cannot compete with Lambiel in terms of spinning, but the scores did not reflect how poor their spins were in comparison. It is a shame that even with the new scoring system it is still not worth the effort it takes to compete with spins of this caliber.

Tripping on the Podium

SP Review anyone?

Would anyone be willing to write a brief review of the short programs for those of us who don't have the time or inclination to download ESPN360 and watch them? I am swamped right now, but would love to hear a general idea of how the top three in each discipline skated. Thanks.

Down With It
    I second this...also, ESPN doesn't work with Macintosh...go figure...

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

Kareliz and Brad...

Quote Originally Posted by kareliz
    Would anyone be willing to write a brief review of the short programs for those of us who don't have the time or inclination to download ESPN360 and watch them? I am swamped right now, but would love to hear a general idea of how the top three in each discipline skated. Thanks.
    Be careful about including event spoilers here in The Edge (until the TV coverage takes place in the US). Look under the events folders for Europeans. There are some good "rinkside" reports from those who either saw it live, or got live TV coverage in Europe.

DG

Custom Title
    I tried downloading this and it won't recognize Windows Media Player. I gave up on it. They were only offering the free preview this weekend but they don't have any live chat tech support over the weekend for those who can't get the stupid thing to work. I seriously doubt that they would have an agreement with my ISP but did they give a link to check on who has an agreement with them?

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    When you go to the home page, if you read down, it will say something like, "Your IP address is....., and we do not have an agreement with your provider." Or presumably the opposite....

Best of luck!

Oh, even though I couldn't load it on my Mac, I sent them a letter thanking them for offering the service and for specifically offering figure skating. I then suggested that they get more, and I also let them know that if it did work for Macs, then I would relentlessly pester my provider.

I also just thought....do you think they could offer it on an individual subscription basis?

Custom Title
    Thanks, as I suspected they do not have an agreement with my ISP. I think I will go ahead and write to them anyway. (1) to beg for an agreement with my ISP (2) to nicely write in that live tech support would have been helpful because nowhere did they explain proxy settings and firewalls which was what my problem was and (3) to ask for more skating that would not normally be shown on tv.