Qualifying Round at Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Qualifying Round at Worlds

Arsenette

On the Ice
Personally I'm glad they have qualifying rounds to accomodate the amount of skaters. After all this is a WORLD competition. Wouldn't make sense to have a competition with only a few skaters and call it worlds. Yes, logistically it's really really a pain in the.. well you know :cool: But it allows 1 skater from each country (minimum) a chance to gain world rankings for the oportunity to be selected in other invitational events. How else are these lesser known countries going to make a name for themselves? Besides.. this year has even stronger implications since at Moscow they are going to qualify countries for the Olympic Games next year :agree:

Why not let them all skate their SPs. If the CoP is all that sensitive to every skater then it doesn't matter when they skate. There should be no seeds and everyone just draws as to when they skate. (It'll never make TV in America).

Once the SPs are over the skaters are then seeded into groups of six (the top finishers of the SP in the last group to skate).

Everyone has skated their SP and LP and no one was eliminated and the TV cameras can still get the last group of six.

The skaters may like this. I'm not sure if the judges will.

Joe

BittyBug

On the Ice
Mathman said:
We had a thread about this a while back, but I can't seem to find it now. IIRC the qualifying round scores are multiplied by a factor of .4 before being added to the others, making the qualifying round count as 2/5 of a free skate. Something like that (?)
The QR is multipled by 0.25. Here's the thread.

Arsenette

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Why not let them all skate their SPs. If the CoP is all that sensitive to every skater then it doesn't matter when they skate. There should be no seeds and everyone just draws as to when they skate. (It'll never make TV in America).

Once the SPs are over the skaters are then seeded into groups of six (the top finishers of the SP in the last group to skate).

Everyone has skated their SP and LP and no one was eliminated and the TV cameras can still get the last group of six.

The skaters may like this. I'm not sure if the judges will.

Joe

I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to the old setup where they had teh qualifying ONLY for those were not seeded THEN have the short program with everyone.. but.. the problem was that the lower skaters were complaining they were doing 3 stages while the seeded were doing 2 stages (unfair advantage). Right now.. this is teh only way that seems fair. The only other thing is to do qualifying with Short programs (basically do 2 shorts in a row) to cut down on the horrendous time out on the ice with about 50 skaters per discipline. Dunno.. so far the only solution so far seems to be what they are doing now - break up the groups to 2 large groups to compete to get to short to eliminate to get to free.