"Orientation" of Figure Skaters | Golden Skate

"Orientation" of Figure Skaters

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
It is with tongue firmly in cheek that I present a new perspective on FSOC (Figure Skater Orientation Concerns). This reporter believes that recent as well as historic discussions about FSSO (Figure Skater Sexual Orientation) have distracted us from MMSOC (Much More Significant Orientation Concerns).

This reporter believes there are only three OC's (Orientation Concerns) that are truly relevant to Figure Skating. And these OC's are definitely GN (Gender Neutral).

These important OC's include:

VO (Vertical Orientation)
HO (Horizontal Orientation)
BO (OK, I know you think that's BODY ODER. Not - It's Bi-directional Orientation)

Examples of excellent VO skaters so far this year might include people like MK, and JW. EP (well, MK too) have exhibited these VO tendencies for YEARS.

While SA exhibited lots of VO last year, she has had some problems with HO this year. And of course there is SC who has consistently had HO problems. Tim used to be almost entirely VO but for the last couple of seasons has had his own HO problems.

The BO category is best described by TD's. And this reporter AIN'T talkin' Football here. SC combined HO and BO problems in her USAN FS. BJ (STOP with the dirty minds, I'm talking Joubert here...) has had his share of challenges with the BO problem this year as he produced his own share of TD's.

So. Whether you are a RFSF (Rabid Figure Skating Fan) or an AFSF (Avid Figure Skating Fan) I hope you will join this reporter in getting our eyes on the IMPORTANT O issues.

It may not be possible to relieve the pre-World's tension, but I will still try.

;)

DG

Last edited:

katherine2001

On the Ice
This is wonderful. It is a wonderful comeback to all the threads on skating boards about a skater's sexual orientation (as though that is any of our business).

Linny

Final Flight
My Apologies

And hope the list will accept my apology on a rather poorly worded post regarding the other kind of orientation. What I meant to say is that figure skaters have a whole lot on their plate already.

Thanx, Doggygirl, for providing such a terrific thread.

Linny

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Lol!

Ravyn Rant said:
Thank you!! Where does "disoriented" fit into this? :)
Rave
Well, I guess that would be DO. That's what happens to me when I play the Dick Button Drinking Game during major competitions. I guess that makes DO an FOP (Fan Orientation Problem) right??

:)

Linny, I'm glad you too are enjoying a little OT fun. (Off Topic, Over the Top, Orientation Training, or whatever you want OT to be)

DG

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Doggygirl said:
Well, I guess that would be DO. That's what happens to me when I play the Dick Button Drinking Game during major competitions. I guess that makes DO an FOP (Fan Orientation Problem) right??
:)
DG

Ah, yes! "DO" is what you get when you mix shots of brandy with shots of spins from the Smucker's Skycam. Whee!
Rave

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Good Point!

Ravyn Rant said:
Ah, yes! "DO" is what you get when you mix shots of brandy with shots of spins from the Smucker's Skycam. Whee!
Rave
I was DDO (Direly Dis-Oriented) when you include the crotch cam...

:rofl:

DG

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl, are you still in the brandy??? :laugh: :laugh:

Your post made my head hurt. :confused: :confused:

Dee

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Mathman!!

I'm sure it does. I'm in my office right now, so I don't have my favorite coffee table book, Erotic Art of Japan in front of me at the moment. Once I have a chance to look it up, I'll let you know what it's called. Whatever the base orientation is, there will be an ITA (In The Air) on the end of it.

:rofl:

DG

IDLERACER

Medalist
I don't understand any of this. :think: All I know is that Roz Sumners, Rory Burghart, Todd Eldredge, Rudy Galindo, Sarah Hughes, Silvia Fontanna and Johnny Weir all jump and spin in the wrong direction. I'll bet driving in England would come very naturally to all of them.

IDLERACER said:
I don't understand any of this. :think: All I know is that Roz Sumners, Rory Burghart, Todd Eldredge, Rudy Galindo, Sarah Hughes, Silvia Fontanna and Johnny Weir all jump and spin in the wrong direction. I'll bet driving in England would come very naturally to all of them.
They are out of the mainstream, and you know that means they are unamerican.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:

:laugh:

But I would like to know how many of these skaters are left-handed...I wonder if that's a contributing factor. However, I'm left handed and if I did spin, I would spin couterclockwise. I think it would be interesting to see if there is a correlation...