A New Puppy... | Golden Skate

A New Puppy...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well, ever since we lost our Greyhound, Mr. DG has been *mentioning* (ad nauseum) his interest in a male German Shepherd. Since he manages Kimba's breeders web site (www.Mittelwest.com for any GSD lovers) he sees EVERY picture of new litters, adult dogs for sale, etc.etc. For the last couple months, he has been ooooing and awwing over EVERY male from EVERY litter.

Well, the breeder sent him a new batch of puppy pictures last week. They are from a stud dog that we both like. Gary picked one out, and the *mentioning* reached a fever pitch. By Sunday, he was saying things like "it's an "F" litter and I'm having a hard time figuring out a good "F" name." (Litters from a breeder are tracked alphabetically, and their official names need to start with the applicable letter for AKC and SV registration) By that time, I had several "F" words in mind - none of which I'd want to shout out in public.

While we had talked MANY times more rationally about things like 1) I just joined the family business and a puppy will be a huge time distraction in the short term. 2) Litters happen all year, and wouldn't potty training be eaiser in the summer???????? etc.

But once he started in with the name thing, I finally just said "go to the kennel and pick him up. His name shall be Ferguson vom Mittelwest.

Nuf said. I am amazed that at 8 weeks old, he has only had to go outside once per night for potty in the middle of the night for the last couple nights. There is a God after all.

I don't want to bore anyone further with trolling through Kimba's Obnoxious Brag page. Ferguson will have his own page eventually. But for now, his one puppy pic is at the VERY bottom of Kimba's Obnoxious page - so if you want to see the cutest little puppy in the whole wide world, just quickly scoll ALL the way to the bottom.

:)

http://www.discounttechnologyworkforce.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/kimba.html

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks!!

To both of you - NJSK8Fan and Childfree. LOL, he turned 8 weeks + 1day old today, and he's already started testing me.

Ferguson: "Can I bite your hand?"

Me: NO!

Ferguson: "Can I bite your hand now?"

Ferguson: "Can I bite this cord?"

And the script goes on....

Thank God puppies are so cute, because otherwise I don't think many of them would live very long...

DG

Petlover

On the Ice
Doggygirl, Ferguson is adorable! I'm so happy for you! Isn't it fun having a puppy again? I can relate to your "chewing" conversion. My 4 and 1/2 month old Sheltie and I have discussions about chewing on my feet, hands, sweater, pants (she chewed a hole in my favorite skating tights!), stockings (she has ripped up several pairs while I was wearing them), and the cat. Yesterday I took her out in the back yard to let her burn off some energy running, the rest of the dogs were pooped afterwards, but Francie was ready to chew again after 5 minutes of rest.

Have lots of fun with your puppy!
Marcia

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Petlover...

There is no DOUBT that puppies have way too much energy, and not enough to do. That's why I still watch K9-5 after all these years just HOPING to find a JOB for all of mine.

Ferguson is so far the EASIEST (out of 4) one I've raised from babydom. KNOCK ON WOOD FAST!! Things can change in a heartbeat. But so far, so good.

I'm mainly thrilled that about 9 times out of 10 so far when I put my hands on him, he licks them rather than bites them LOL! Now THAT'S a refreshing change from the previous pups.

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
He's gorgeous! Congratulations on the new addition!

There is definitely a reason I wanted to adopt an "older" dog. It figures that I adopted an 18 month old dog that had never been potty trained. That's okay, I managed to figure it out somehow. :biggrin:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for your compliments RGal!

I too am a fan of adopting older dogs. We are sans Greyhounds now, but the cool thing is that potty training was MUCH easier with adults than with babies. At least their bladders are fully developed, and they CAN hold it. It's just a matter of teaching them why they MUST hold it.

Babies are a whole 'nother story. As I've said before and will always say, thank goodness those babies are so cute, because otherwise they might not live very long. :)

Ferguson is officially sleeping at least 6 hours though the night. There is a God.

DG