All time favorite FS Books... | Golden Skate

All time favorite FS Books...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I have some gift certificates for Amazon, and would like to order a figure skating book or two. So what are your top 3 or 4 favorite FS books of all time and why? Doesn't matter if they are brand new or a bit older so long as they are still recent enough to be selling through Amazon.

Thanks!!

PS - I already have The Second Mark and loved that read.

DG

brad640

On the Ice
One of my favorite books is Culture on ice : Figure Skating & Cultural Meaning by Ellyn Kestnbaum. It is different from most current skating books because it does not focus on tabloid stories but focuses on the many ways skating appeals to fans. It also has interesting views on the ways skating reflects contemporary culture.

IDLERACER

Medalist
For an overall view of how the world of competitive skating operates, you really can't go wrong with Brian Boitano's book, "Boitano's Edge." Kristie Yamaguchi's "Skating For Dummies" is also very informative.

Click HERE and HERE

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Talk by Steve Milton - this book is a collection of interviews with skaters, coaches, & other people associated with the sport. The interviews cover a variety of topics. :agree:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Boitano's edge,
Go to www.allbookstores.com. They have it for 2.99 plus tax & shipping. This is how I get most of my books. They will give you a list of prices from several different sites.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
PS - I already have The Second Mark and loved that read.

DG

I love that book too!! I've read it like five times, and the first one, once I had finished I went to the first page to read it all over again; it was that good!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
ANYTHING by Beverley Smith, "Talking Figure Skating" offers very in-depth views of various aspects of the sport, i.e, choreography, psychology, coaching, etc. "Figure Skating: A Celebration" is now a little out of date (the pics are of "current stars", which is what they were in 1995, but the pics that ARE in there are to DIE for), and "A Year in Figure Skating" offers a look at the highlights of the 95-96 season, again with great pictures.

"Figure Skating Now" by Steve Milton & Gerard Chataigneau has biographic and results information on the current top eligible skaters now, again with great photos. This one I think gets updated now and then, I have the first edition but a later edition a couple of years later features a few people that had popped up (or in the case of Elena Sokolova, BACK up) since the last one.

Eeyora

Final Flight
My favoprites are "Heart of a Champion" by Michelle Kwan. Although she did not entirely write it herself. It really seemed like she poured her soul into it. I love "Figure Skating Now" I also enjoyed Brennan's "Champions on Ice". I loved the pictures and stories.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks All!!

I'll let you know what I end up deciding to get. I love books and love to read (although I SHOULD do more serious reading than I do!) so I will have lots of fun trying to decide the best picks for these gift certs!!

DG

John King

Final Flight
"What's A Nasty Joint Like This Doing In A Nice Girl Like You:The Nancy Kerrigan Story". :rofl:

megsk8z

On the Ice
Katherine Bertine's "All The Sundays Yet To Come" is a pretty interesting read about life on the ice show circuit and her life as a skater. One of the more thought-provoking skating biographies I've read lately.

brad640 said:
One of my favorite books is Culture on ice : Figure Skating & Cultural Meaning by Ellyn Kestnbaum. It is different from most current skating books because it does not focus on tabloid stories but focuses on the many ways skating appeals to fans. It also has interesting views on the ways skating reflects contemporary culture.
I second this. Ms. Kestnbaum also contributed to "Women on Ice," a collection of essays from the neofeminist point of view.

MM

Linny

Final Flight
Lol

:rofl: :rofl: to the book title contributed by John King. How about "The profound coach-student relationship in figure skating" with chapters by Tim Goebel, Mike Weiss, Peggy Flemming, Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan. Introduction by Kristie Yamaguchi, Prolog by Irina Sluskya.

Linny

FrenchLady

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
ANYTHING by Beverley Smith, "Talking Figure Skating" offers very in-depth views of various aspects of the sport, i.e, choreography, psychology, coaching, etc. "Figure Skating: A Celebration" is now a little out of date (the pics are of "current stars", which is what they were in 1995, but the pics that ARE in there are to DIE for)

Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker, and this is my first post! :)

Those two books are among my favorites... The first one in particular is a MUST in my opinion. It was published about eight years ago. I think it's a great read for both casual fans and for knowledgeable fans. Of course it's a little out of date in some ways, and we can't help but thinking of some current stars of the sport that would have been mentioned if this book was published recently. But besides that, it's a very very interesting book! :rock:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Frenchlady!!

Glad you de-lurked!! It's fun to post here. Thank you for putting your 2 cents in for book recommendations! It's going to be tough to decide what to buy for now. I have a feeling all of these will end up on my shelf some day!

DG

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
ANYTHING by Beverley Smith, "Talking Figure Skating" offers very in-depth views of various aspects of the sport, i.e, choreography, psychology, coaching, etc. ".

I had heard of this book, and had some recommendations from others, so it's on my list for books to read :)