Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: $peedy wants to revamp the GP Series

Custom Title

$peedy wants to revamp the GP Series

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to copy links, so that they are shortcuts, but:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...413EST0339.DTL

(I got this off of sashafans.com, and there is another thread on FSU with the same article.)

It's hard to have an opinion on ideas that will only be presented to the public after they're presented to the ISU officials.

Down With It
    I couldn't get your above link to work Here's one that works (hopefully):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...413EST0339.DTL

I wonder if he really does have any ideas, or if he is just chiding Michelle and the USFSA a little.

MM

I think he is working on getting more money into the til. He probably wants the board to give him a raise, and maybe getting more money for the speedsters.

As for the suggestions, he'll have them passed without any vote.

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    Interesting, because Kwan hasn't planned to skate for several years, and she only skated in 2002 Skate America as a last-minute replacement for Hughes. She didn't skate when he paid $30K, and she didn't skate when he paid $18K, so it's clearly not about the money.

On the Ice
    Attendance at the GP events is poor. Sometimes the best skaters do skip them in order to save themselves for the bigger events. I also think that the hectic travel schedule for those six weeks is detrimental to the skaters. I would be happier to see an abbreviated GP series, or one that has events spaced futher apart (although I don't see the latter happening at all due to time constraints). I don't know what Speedy has in mind, but I'd be willing to bet it isn't either one of the options I'd like to see. Let's just hope it isn't like the GP Final where it was held in a single day. That was one not-so-bright idea.
    As for the money, I do think it is an issue for some of the lower rung skaters and those that don't get $$$ for touring.
    Last edited by tvcats; 01-28-2005 at 09:17 PM.

Custom Title

Killer Schedule

ITA with Tvcat-it's a killer schedule and it depletes the athletes so they don't have as much to give when they need it for the big competitions such as Nationals and Worlds. Training and flying non-stop, and trying to maintian that edge has to be draining.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    ITA with Tvcat-it's a killer schedule and it depletes the athletes so they don't have as much to give when they need it for the big competitions such as Nationals and Worlds. Training and flying non-stop, and trying to maintian that edge has to be draining.
    It didn't seem to hurt Joannie Rochette or Jeff Buttle at their Nationals - not sure why it would hurt anyone else either given the current time frame between events.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose
    It didn't seem to hurt Joannie Rochette or Jeff Buttle at their Nationals - not sure why it would hurt anyone else either given the current time frame between events.
    How many full scheduled GP events seasons have they done? How many seasons like this they will run before they burn out? Look at Irina, Cohen, etc.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    How many full scheduled GP events seasons have they done? How many seasons like this they will run before they burn out? Look at Irina, Cohen, etc.
    Jeff and Joannie don't have the years under their belts that some other skaters do, but Irina certainly does and she seems to be doing just fine - actually far more than just fine. As for Cohen - seems to me that skipping the Grand Prix certainly hasn't helped her any.

Custom Title
    I said this on FSU and I'll say it here: nearly all of the other amateur sports have Grand Prix or World Tour circuits that includes travelling across the world and hectic schedules. I know all sports are different and that skaters also have to include choreography along with physical training but they should be able to handle more than two serious competitions a year. Maybe a skater has to look at the rest of the things in the lives and cut some of them out.

In a fluff piece on CTV, Jeff Buttle did mention feeling burn out last season so he made changes to his personal life so he could have more time to train for skating and now has gone to have a successful full season of GP and Nationals. He also took the time to do a couple of shows. I think it all depends on what a skater wants more.

Tripping on the Podium
    Jeff and Joannie don't have the years under their belts that some other skaters do, but Irina certainly does and she seems to be doing just fine - actually far more than just fine.
    Irina is doing fine now after spending much time in a hospital and away from competing. Now people believe her illness is linked to the stressful Olympic season that included a full set of GP events. She's an extreme example of burnout because she had other factors such as her mom falling ill but nevertheless,Irina wasn't always doing 'just fine'

The pressure is psychological more than anything else. The same skaters who can't handle the full schedule with GP have no trouble with dozens of shows and even cheesefests.

Burnout? For what? Two, maybe three events plus Nationals, Europeans, Worlds? And that is it for an entire year as far as competition goes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast