$peedy wants to revamp the GP Series | Page 3 | Golden Skate

$peedy wants to revamp the GP Series

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If $peedy is only worried about the money, why can't he charge more for ISU's "sanctioning" of the cheesefests, especially Marshall's, which is on during the GP season? What worries me is that $peedy does not seem to understand two basic rules: (1) people don't watch competitions if they believe the sport is fixed; (2) in order to believe that the judging is fair, the public has to understand the sysem; and (3) there is limited confidence in the CoP. He won't increase ratings if he doesn't understand that he has to give the public what it wants (i.e, judging that is fair, and is believed to be fair), and, his CoP, as currently used, isn't doing the job. IMHO, after every GP event, there should be a press conference where the judges explain their marks; with the delay in televising it, the information from the press conference could be used in explaining things to the viewers.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll put forth my idea once again. Skaters should have contracts with ISU, not their federations; federations should only acts as agents for the negotiations. It still won't force skaters to participate in GP, but it would force them to state ahead of time if they were going to participate, and be more likely to not back out for flimsy reasons.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weir really hadn't had any experience with the GP since the 2001-2002 season, when he did SC and Lalique. SC required little travel, and there was a week break between the two events.

As a seeded skater, he elected to do 3 events, but he had no say which events they would be. He was assigned NHK, then a week break, then TEB, then immediately CoR. The intervals between the events were pretty bad, with a lot of long-distance travel which Weir was not used to.

I would be really surprised if Weir chooses to do 3 events next year, should he finish in the top 6 at Worlds. When skaters have no say about which events they skate in, why would they set themselves up for a schedule as grueling as that?

Sasha found out the same thing the hard way in the 2003-2004 season, when she had too many events one after another and melted down in the cheesefest and the GPF.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Chuckm...

ITA - I can't imagine why a skater would sign up for 3 events given the "luck of the draw" situation. My guess is that Johnny may have assumed he would get at least 1 of those events as Skate America (or even SC). I bet he doesn't go for 3 next year!!

DG

As this thread is turning into Johnny's plight with the GPs, maybe that is the reason top tier skaters do not want to skate the GPs. We have given now two good examples of exhaustion: Weir and Cohen. Let the skater's do what they want. Let Speedy figure out how to improve the GPs for the public interest.

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
Joesitz said:
As this thread is turning into Johnny's plight with the GPs, maybe that is the reason top tier skaters do not want to skate the GPs. We have given now two good examples of exhaustion: Weir and Cohen. Let the skater's do what they want. Let Speedy figure out how to improve the GPs for the public interest.

Joe

If we're going to wait until Speedy figures out how to change the GP for the public interest, I fear we will be waiting untill the proverbial hell freezes over :yes: